“Friendly staff and excellent prices” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel

Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Northbrook
Brasilia, DF
“Friendly staff and excellent prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

The hotel is excellent, with spacious rooms, complimentary coffee machines, fine in-room service (tasty food at very good prices). But my stay was 5-star mainly because of the helpful and friendly staff - I was really impressed!

Room Tip: There is some renovation going on, but no noise could be heard, even for me that was in the second f...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear CHG_Brasilia,
Thank you very much for your kind words! I know that our renovations will result in a great new lobby and restaurant, but you correctly identified the REAL reason that our guests love to stay with us... our STAFF! I agree with your opinion that they are 5 star.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and the little touches that we added. I hope you are able to return soon and see the final results when Pancetta, our new restaurant and bar, opens on July 2nd.
All my best,
Rik Blyth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Austin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

All in all, a pretty average hotel. Nothing really jumps out as good or bad. Service, rooms, location. All average. Unfortunately, the hotel was still under renovation while I was there. Instead of bell hops, this place has powered utility lifts driving through the lobby hall way. No, not kidding. So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and not down grading then on the construction. I hope it gives them that edge it's missing.

One tip to travelers... If you enjoy a firm pillow while you sleep, even soft, request a different pillow when you arrive. The standard pillows are paper thin. Not a pleasant night sleep

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear jmano0,
Thank you for your constructive comments and your understanding regarding our ongoing renovation project.
I know the work we are doing in the lobby area can be disruptive, however, when we unveil our new restaurant, Pancetta Regional Kitchen + Bar, on July 2nd, I believe the inconveniences will have been worth it!
I do hope you return to see the finished product... and yes, we have a variety of pillow styles to meet every type of request, so just let us know when you reserve your room and the right pillow will be waiting for you on your bed.
All my best,
L.A.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Named our price and snagged a room at this hotel. The location was perfect for our visit with relatives in the suburbs of Chicago. Getting into the city was easy. The hotel was undergoing some remodeling but it didn't affect our sleep time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear samroz,
Thank you for staying with us recently. I am glad to know that our location worked out for you and that the lobby renovations were not an issue for you during your stay.
I do hope that you have the opportunity to return in the future and experience our new restaurant and bar!
Regards,
Northbrook, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

This is an extremely moderate Renaissance especially if one has been to the downtown Chicago Renaissances.

They are undergoing a much-needed renovation of the lobby right now but the parts of the hotel that have already been re-modeled don't have anything impressive to show.

I am moving to the Marriott Suites in Deerfield IL next week.

Room Tip: If you are a concierge club member, make sure to get a room on the 9th floor. You will not be able t...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Worldtrotter70
Dear Worldtrotter70,
I am so sorry that your recent stay with us was not to your liking. While we have tried to minimize any disruption to our guests during our top to bottom renovations, I am sure there have been some bumps in the road...
I must say that it was surprising to me to read that you felt our already renovated areas were unimpressive, as many of our long time regulars have been very complimentary of the improvements to our guest rooms and meeting spaces.
I do hope that you give us another opportunity to win you back and that you stop in to see the new lobby, restaurant and bar when it is finished on July 2. I would be happy to show you around personally at that time.
Regards,
usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

The air conditioning unit in my room was so loud that when it started up at 11pm (I was asleep) the rumble was so loud that I jumped out of bed looking for an alarm that had gone off to shut off...then realized it was the AC that had just turned on. The thermostat in my room was broken. It was stuck at 69 degrees. No matter if i turned the temp up the thermostat would always go back to 69 (thus keep running). Even if I turned the thermostat to "OFF" it would display off for a few minutes and then go right back to ON and 69 degrees. I was woken from my sleep three times - the 2nd time I was so frustrated and angry that i looked to pull the thermostat off the wall or yank the cord from the actual AC - but caught myself before making what at the time seemed perfectly rational. FINALLY at 3am - sleepless and angry - I packed my things, went to the front desk, and demanded a new room. I was told I was given the last-remaining room in the hotel - a handicapped room. When I arrived at my room (mind you at 3:30am) there was a man laying on the floor by my door watching something on his laptop. Weird and a bit unsettling at that hour. So - I've stayed at this hotel several times before w/o any complaint. After my recent visit I will never stay there again.

Also - the hotel manager called me later that night (I was home at that point) asking what she could do (in terms of refund or points or something else) to make up for my experience. I specifically said "you do what you think is right". As of yet nothing has been done. That says a lot about the hotel...

Oh - and one last thing - I think the lady that manages the concierge lounge is too in-your-face. It's great (to some people) to have their name known or to be asked lots of personal questions so she can later recall your name and talk with you about your (and her) personal happenings in your/her life - but not for me. I travel a lot and just want to be left alone and not asked lots of questions or feel like I'm being primed for a tip. It's not top-quality service. It's in-your-face service, which has always been a bit of a turn-off to me.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank imfletcher72
Rik B, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear imfletcher72,
I appreciate your candid description of your stay with us last week and sincerely apologize that you had such a distressing and inconvenient experience. In spite of our comprehensive preventative maintenance program for each and every room, it is an unfortunate fact that mechanical equipment can experience a malfunction. That this happened in the middle of the night was especially disturbing, I am sure.
I do know that we requested for a substantial number of Rewards points to be credited to your account, to in some way make up for your difficulties, that procedure does sometimes take several days and they should be showing up soon.
I will also speak to our concierge to be more sensitive in determining the receptiveness of each guest to her service or conversation efforts.
Since you have had several pleasant stays with us in the past, I do hope you will see this stay as an unusual occurance and give us another opportunity to win your loyalty. I would be happy to personally assist you at that time.
Rik Blyth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northbrook
8.6 km away
10.3 km away
The Westin Chicago North Shore
8.6 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie

Been to Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!