“Second visit as good as the first, if not better!”

Blue House Korean BBQ
Ranked #19 of 115 Restaurants in Mundelein
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed 2 May 2017

If you like Korean food, why haven't you eaten here?

Went again for dinner with my wife. I continue to be impressed, and she loved it. This is a great value for the money—portions are on the large side. We both tried new dishes that we found delightful. The food we saw served at other tables looked delicious, too.

The Kimchee Panjun is like a cross between a pancake and pizza. Very savory by itself, combined with the dipping sauce produces a new, subtle flavor. It also has just the right amount of spiciness.

The Jaeyook Bokkum (pork, spicy, with vegetables, served with rice) has a blend of flavors that seem to change as you chew. The level of spice is perfect.

The Dookbaegi Bulgogi is a sort of noodle stew with beef, cellophane noodles, veggies, and broth. Again, the flavors are subtle but clear. Wonderful dish.

Everything arrives HOT, except the side dishes which are served cold. Don't neglect them, either as palette clearers or simply of themselves.

Service is good, considering the small staff (apparently the family.) Very courteous and eager to please.

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

I have never ate authentic korean food but this family restaurant was very cute and the staff was very helpfully in teaching us how to properly cook the meet and eat the plates. I will definitely go back with my friends.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 2 March 2017

… by the quality and quantity of the food. I really don't get the negative reviews. Service was also good. They offer fairly traditional Korean food. I ordered a spicy beef, vegetable, and cellophane noodle soup, unfortunately I don't remember the Korean name. It was excellent: spicy enough for me, probably a little light on fire for the young fire-eaters, but the spiciness did not interfere with the delightful flavor—you can taste all the ingredients as well as their blending. It was served with six small dishes of various kinds of kim chee, all of which were very tasty, cleared the palate nicely, and set off the main dish. (Note for those who don't know: "kim chee" is not a single dish, but a class of dishes, not all of which are spicy.) The lunch portion of soup was large enough for dinner.

The decor is pleasant and relaxing, only the modern music detracts, but at least is isn't too loud. I hope they choose a different genre for dinner, but I suppose they have to cater to modern musical "tastes." I'd prefer something more traditional to match the food. (This is the reason for a Four rating instead of a Five.) Service was very good, but I was there early in the lunch hours so I can't say what it would be like when they are busy. Prices are very reasonable for the quantity.

Each table has a hot plate for table-cooking dishes. The menu includes a nice selection of dishes for two at reasonable prices, especially if the quantity is like it was for my solo lunch.

It has been a long time since I had Korean food this good. I can hardly wait to go back and try more of their dishes.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

I went with four buddies who had Korean BBQ before. Perfect atmosphere and great food! We had both the steamed and fried dumplings for appetizers which came out hot and tasty! We ordered the Bulgogi and Jaeyook Bokkum to be cooked at our table. We recommend the cooking fun for any gathering at BHK. Along with all the little veggie dishes everyone had their fill of unique and delicious food. We noted that the pork dish, while labeled as spicy, was not too spicy for anyone's liking. We will be back!

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 1 January 2017

Havent been in 5 years since they opened. Wasnt memorable then, still not memorable.

The restaurant is okay. But its odd. A mom and pop that seems to be family owned and run. THe restauraunt is okay but just doesnt fire on all cyclinders.

Decor is odd. Storefront window is covered in these huge live plants. Not specifically beautiful rather a bit overgrown. The walls are all different. You have cheap red brick plastic panels in the center (old and tired), you have wood paneling that looks out of the 70's on another wall half way up the wall. Odd. In the center you have a section build to look like a korean roof...blue roof tiles. Then you have some rice paper walls with some florescent backlight. Carpeting is dirty and tired. Tables and chairs also have seen better days. Overal visually its not very appealling.

Food wise. We had the cook at the table bulgogi and a pork plate for the four of us. Pork was very good as it was simmered table top in a wok. The bulgogi was good, but all four of us liked the pork better. My dissapointment with the food came from the side dishes served with the meals. Soup was miso type soup but you were served less than half a cup. Lukewarm. Salty of course. The rest of the side dishes were equally sparse. There were probably 10 or 12 of them served in little bowls, but each bowl only had a tiny amount in each. Example. Kimchi bowl had one piece of kim chi in it. So for 4 people I dont how you can share that. Red pepper pickles had 5 half slices of cucumber. One half slice of cucumber for each person. Rice was good but again served in a small dish. The price for the Pork and Bulgogi was $31 -$33 dollar range (each serves 2 people). By itself that doesnt sound too bad. But for $17 dollars a person you would expect the side dishes to be plentiful specially since they are low cost sides.

Service. They did recognize that we were not used to Korea BBQ style and tried to help. But we had three different people coming by our table adjusting heat on everything...and each one seemed to have different strategy. I think a simple explanation on how the burners work and what you are supposed to do would have been a better way to go. That way we could do what we wanted to, As an example the waiter took half the meet and loaded the grill the at once. That forced us to eat a lot of meat fast, instead us us cooking it at our leasure. So although they tried to be helpful it wasnt that helpful, rather just added to our confusion.

So overall.
Decor. Forgetable, tired and not impressive.
Food. Meat cooked table side was good. Side dishes, soup were underwhelming and dissappointing.
Service, Family run. So for the money. I think you can buy a dinner for $20 per person elsewhere that you will probably enjoy more.

We all walked out and said "it was good" but we also agreed that there was no compelling reason to go back.

Date of visit: December 2016