“Great Seafood” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holy Mackerel

Holy Mackerel
Reserve with OpenTable
Holy Mackerel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 185 Restaurants in Lombard
Price range: USD 20 - USD 40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Butterfield and Highland
Villa Park, Illinois
“Great Seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Great Seafood Kitchen type restaurant, a little upscaled. Good variety of entree's.

Istanbul, Turkey
“Good cuisine, excellent service, a bit pricy but best restaurant visited in a week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

It never ceases to impress how great American restaurant service aspires to be. Other trades and especially professions, please note. Holy Mackerel exemplifies this outstanding characteristic but also with very good food, cleanliness and reasonable Californian wine and a pretty good choice of beer. The menu is not too extensive and the portions are not overladen either except for the paella, but again what do you expect when ordering that choice? My party definitely reckoned this restaurant as our outstanding number one in the area during a week's visit. Good on Holy Mackerel and Westin Lombard too.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Belvidere, Illinois
“Best Banana Cream Pie Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

I was at the Westin Hotel & Conference Center this weekend for a conference. We went into Holy Mackerel/Harry Caray's (they are kind of combined here) for a quick early dinner before the conference. I had the Sesame Crusted Yellofin Tuna Seared Rare and Chilled with Asparagus and Mango Lime Coulis for $16.95 (which I think is a bit pricey). Now this was an appetizer on the Harry Caray's menu & was a nice size. The overall taste was flavorfull, but nothing special. Then when I inquired about dessert, the waitress suggested their Banana Cream Pie. Now, we were sitting in Holy Mackerel, but were given both menus when we sat down. I never saw dessert on either menu, so I'm technically, not sure which restaurant this Pie came from, but boy was it spectacular!! It was a whole mini pie at least 6-7 inches wide served on a plate drizzled with chocolate & caramel, then topped with a banana (sliced lengthwise) that was done like a Bananas Foster with the sauce carmelized on the bananas. It really was the most delectable pie that I have ever had! I would go in there again just to get the pie! I was able to eat 1/2 of the pie then & had to save the rest for later as it was soooo plentiful. Everyone else at the table had very enjoyable meals. The tilapia was a huge hit as 4 of the ladies ordered that. Then 2 of the ladies ordered crab cakes - one from Harry Caray's & one from Holy Mackerel. Each of the ladies were very please with their selections & each crab cake was served & prepared very differently.
Overall a very positive experience!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank KckbxrSSM
California
“Worth the $”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Holy Mackerel and Harry Caray's are combined restaurant located at the Westin Lombard Hotel (first floor). Holy Mac is more upscale, may be a bit rigid for some, while the Harry Caray's is more of a relaxed setting.

- Ambiance and service = 4 stars. Because of the upscale setting, I thought they would not be so happy to accommodate us because 1.) we did not have a reservation and 2.) I have a toddler with me. But I was pleasantly surprise. Our server was friendly and toddler friendly. I find it really heart warming when servers take time to talk to my 20 month old son or at least attempt to. Often times, servers ignore children in restaurants. Not here, our server really made my lil man special.

- Food = 5 stars. I enjoyed the Bonesless Chicken Vesuvio. The presentation was simple but elegant. The chicken, peas and potatoes was cooked perfectly; juicy and full of flavor. I love the caper sauce. My son had french fries (of course). He loved their apple potato butternut squash bisque and crackers. I must say, it was really delicious. Creamy and very tasty. I ordered another cup for him - to go. Portions was just right.

- Price = 4 stars. It's a bit on the expensive side but well worth it.

If I had more time in the area, I would definitely be back to try more on their menu.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank Thor G
Naperville, Illinois
“Nice dining with lots of selection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

In the Westin hotel. Well prepared seafood selections. You can order from the Holy Mackerel menu or the Harry Carry's menu which is in the same building and has the same kitchen. We went on a Sunday night so was not crowded. Had good service and the almond crusted whitefish and macadamia nut tilapia were excellent. Good mixed drinks although a little pricey. I guess it's just me but I find piped in music intrusive--seemed more suited to a Caribbean resort but apparently no one else minds it constantly being played.

• Visited January 2012