“Well Satisfied our desire for Fine French Food ”
Review of D&J Bistro

D&J Bistro
Ranked #1 of 91 Restaurants in Lake Zurich
Price range: USD 20 - USD 35
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

We picked this restaurant as a result of our search for French-inspired food. It was an hours’ drive, but it was well worth the effort. We particularly enjoyed the chicken cordon bleu and the Idaho rainbow trout almandine. Servers were seasoned and did a nice job. Decor could use updating, but it didn’t hurt out enjoyment of this restaurant.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

You know when you walk in that it's not a strip mall restaurant. Dark floors, white tablecloths, foreign waiters, stucco walls with art deco decor, ambient lighting and small false walls to create intimate nooks without being isolated. Everyone seems to be having a great time, including the hosts. There is a specials menu that compliments the regular fare. Had the last day of serving beef bourguignon with mashed potatoes while my wife dined on Branzino, something not usually found locally. As usual, a wonderful meal and friendly service from someone who pointed out his home town on the map on the wall, a few hundred KM from Marseilles. It is a classic bistro atmosphere, it's not cheap. It is special and we a point of going on special occasions. Give it a try as there is nothing like it in Lake County.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

I've dined here twice with the benefit of someone giving us gift certificates.

I did not know what to expect, but the taste of the food, and its presentation, just blew me away.

This is also a place to get something different - something you've never tried before - and walk away pleasantly surprised.

I may be wrong, but I believe that these are not regular menu entrees, but they may occur by happenstance and periodically appear on the specials of the day.

On my first visit, I had something like "Ostrich Tail" which I thought was very particular, but very delicious. (At the time, I owned some stock in a company that breeds and raises ostrich. I had to have this special, if at least to support my personal investments.) I walked away feeling that I HAD to return - with or without a gift certificate.

On my second visit, I had to try something that I always heard of, but never had the courage to make at home myself. If I did not like it or did something wrong in preparation, the entire meal might be ruined. If I ordered at a restaurant and personally did not like it, I'm only out by the cost of my plate, not the entire dinner. So I went ahead and ordered the "Sweetbreads" and was blown away at how good they were. I still don't know if I would attempt making it myself at home, but I would definitely return here to have them again.

My wife works out of town. I wait for the day of her return that I can come here again. This is definitely a hidden jewel in Lake Zurich. I might not come here regularly by myself (like I am cheating on my wife) but with her at my side, a dinner here is a special occasion!

Reviewed 17 February 2018

When you are looking for a truly special restaurant D&J's is the place. From the friendly staff to the decorations for Valentine's day they create a beautiful atmosphere. On special occasions such as Valentine's day they have a three course special (you can also order ala carte) and the menu is limited, not their usual menu. We started with appetizers and my husband had the venison which he loved and I ordered the mushrooms in puff pastry. Delicious! Our entree's consisted of pork with creamy risotto and lamb with couscous and a plum sauce. Both dinners were excellent although I thought the sauce for the lamb was a bit heavy. To finish we both ordered the pistachio creme brûlée. I also want to mention that they don't appear to over book and we were never rushed although I know holidays are especially busy.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

We have been coming here for over 4 years and the experience is always stellar. The owners and servers are so friendly, and the food is fantastic! Our kids visited France, and the Confit de canard is better at D&J Bistro! Chicken Cordon Bleu cannot be missed, and the Bistro Pasta has an incredible smokey flavor. And there’s always a tasty steak and frites for those that aren’t into the French cuisine (we have one of those in our family).

djbistro, Owner at D&J Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Bonjour,
Thank you so much for your review and comment.
We do appreciate your support.
We are looking forward to see you soon at D&J Bistro.
Happy New Year