“Lovely Food in a Relaxing Setting”

Market House on the Square
Ranked #6 of 68 Restaurants in Lake Forest
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Our new menu offers crafted food featuring the rich tradition of American Cooking we all grew up loving. These lunch and dinner items are rooted in our collective memories, made better than we remember through our commitment to the most current techniques and the best possible products we can source. We do everything from scratch. Our breads are baked on premise every day. We’ll make our own flatbreads, salad dressings, sauces, pastas, cheeses, sausages and the list goes on. We will source as much as we can locally (good tomatoes are tough in February) to bring you the best quality ingredients we can find. Finally, we believe Great Dining starts with Great Food, and ends with Great Hospitality. Hospitality is a dialogue.
Reviewed 27 May 2018

My wife and I just had dinner at Market House early on a Sat evening and had a really nice experience. It was a pleasant evening, so we sat outside under the shade of a tree. The restaurant has a bar area, an inside pen deck area, and an outside patio. The waiter was informal and friendly, letting us know about the specials of the evening. The food was really quite good - fresh and full of flavor. My wife and I each had fish (sole and brook trout) and I had some tomato basil soup. The soup was a great start - full of tomato flavor (with some very small pieces of tomato in the soup) and thick but not overly creamy, with a good basil flavor. A serving of their fresh focaccia herb bread all started the meal, and they give you bottles of cold water on the table.

Both fish dishes were very good - the trout was served with a small garnish of kolrabi/mandarin salad, and the sole with some garnish of white asparagus salad. Both of the entrees also tasted really fresh - the trout was grilled and and the sole was breaded.

We shared an apple/[ear crumble served with some homemade vanilla ice cream that was a perfect blend of crispy oats on top, great fruit flavor, and a creamy vanilla bean ice cream.

I would say overall it was a really nice experience, but at the same time the atmosphere was just a bit upscale informal for me. It seemed everyone there was wearing polos and khaki shorts with boat shoes. it had this kind of formal informality that was hard to put your finger on. The staff was actually great, but I got a sense that it was much more a "we're ready to wait on you" ambience than a "welcome to our family".

But the food was great, the service really friendly, and the atmosphere was lovely for a spring evening. The portions are generous but things are essentially ala carte (e.g. the garnishes can't really be considered a side vegetable) and the price just a little on the high side. For the two of us, no drinks, one soup, two entrees, one dessert was about $80 with tax and tip.

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

Quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurants. The food is outstanding - locally sourced, fresh, great flavors. We shared several appetizers and sides along with our meal. My absolute favorites were the soft shell crab appetizer and the zucchini truffle fries. We ate in the patio which was delightful. Great service.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

My first visit to this restaurant was disappointing. Gluten free options are limited and the server could only recommend a salad. I ordered Caesar salad with grilled chicken. The salad was very visually appealing and tasted fine, but the chicken had a burnt smell and was super dry. Since it was a business lunch and we were short on time, I did not return it, but it definitely put me off from coming again. The rest of the table had sandwiches which they all described as delicious.

1  Thank Disc29
Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

Went as part of a group of 5 for a work lunch. The lunch menu is great with plenty of salad, sandwich, and entree options. Everyone had different salad or sandwich options and all were very good. I had the tuna tartar app and the club sandwhich. The tuna was actually quite ornate in its orientation. The club had good quality turkey, a noticeable aged cheddar, and thick cut bacon. I substituted mustard for the mayo. You have the option of fries or chips with sandwiches and I went with fries. They were good not great.

Others had the Italian beef, Reuben or salads. They didn’t receive there salmon delivery yet that day so that wasn’t an option. They were able to make other adjustments due to gluten free needs. The server was very polite and knowledgeable and water glasses stayed full.

The prices are on the high side but I thought the quality food matched the price along with knowing your in downtown Lake Forest. The decor is homey but with class. You don’t feel your in a high end restaurant it is quite casual but classy from the decor to even the servers outfits. I would definitely go again.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Great location, easy parking. Staff was friendly, restaurant was clean and inviting. Great food variety and options for adults and children alike (had 7 and 9yr old girls)
Would highly recommend over any chain