“Cheddar Burgers , Cheddar Dogs and Cheddar Fries”

Michael's Chicago Style Red Hots
Ranked #10 of 113 Restaurants in Highland Park
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Description: We've been serving the community for over 40 years. We recently renovated and offer accommodations for private events 7 days a week. We are open for lunch & dinner and serve beer, wine & signature cocktails everyday, all day! Our space and menu and kid and family friendly and our large menu offers options from everyone. Gluten-free options are available!
Reviewed 19 February 2017

Title says it all , been going here for over 35 years.. Alway good , all the time. If not into burgers or hot dogs try their terriyaki chicken sandwich ,, very good and excellent shakes too

Reviewed 12 January 2017

Like many locals who have frequented Michael's for years, I was looking forward to the remodeling of the stuck in the nineties restaurant.
Well.... their intentions may have been good but, in actual day to day functioning, confusing, frustrating and their prices have gone up!
As you enter the restaurant, you're not sure if you should go straight if you're ordering carry out or do you take a left to the 2 registers by the wall???
I decided to follow my instinct aka "follow the crowd" and went left. There are 2 cashier's taking your order at the same time. UGH! So you are vocally competing with the other diner who is trying to order their meal at the same time as you are. You end up shouting and constantly saying "What"? Not good.
One of my favs to get is the medium Greens Salad. It used to be the best salad value for $7.50. About one year before they remodeled, they raised the price of the salad to $8.50. Ok, no biggie. But, after the remodel, the new price is $9.50!
I was a member of their frequent Buyer Club thru Spring Rewards but, they have discontinued that relationship. All my points, which I was super close to a $10 reward, got wiped away.
The new decor includes an entire wall with a red, black and white mural with renderings of local amenities. It's only OK, could've done a little nicer decorating with slightly warmer tones.

Management response:Responded 15 January 2017

PamDSapphireSky-

Good afternoon! Thank you for being a loyal customer of Michael’s. We appreciate your business, and your feedback!

As you discovered during your recent visit, we completed a major renovation this summer at Michael’s. We renovated our operations at the same time. Our goal is to get your food to you more efficiently, and with a significantly shorter wait time.

In an effort to collect your order sooner in the process so that we can start preparing your food sooner, we moved the cashiers out from behind the line. During peak periods, we need 2 cashiers to facilitate the heavy volume of customer demand. Overall, this process improvement has increased service speeds and decreased wait times, especially during our busiest times. We hope to see further improvements in the near future, as our staff and our customers become more familiar with this process.

We also created an express Togo station in the dessert and drink bar area. You could phone in your order ahead of time and avoid the cashier station completely! Of course you are welcome to stay and eat in the dining room, if you prefer.

Yes, our price for a medium salad has increased due to an increase in produce costs. It is one of our most popular items, and an average medium salad at Michael’s weighs 1.75 pounds. Depending on the toppings that you choose, your salad could easily contain over 2 pounds of fresh chopped vegetables! Other salad bars in Highland Park are charging $6.99-$7.99 / pound, so Michael’s Medium Salad is still the best deal in town.

We carefully protect our customer emails and information, and Spring Rewards emailed our customer list without our permission and approval. Consequently, we have terminated our relationship with Spring Rewards. We do not want you to suffer for their actions, so we will gladly send you a $10 gift card in appreciation for your business.

Please send me your address and I will send it out right away.

Lastly, I want you to know that I am here to make sure that all of your visits to Michael’s are pleasant, efficient, and delicious. If you need anything at all, please contact me directly.

Kind regards, Ben Unger

Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

I recently visited Chicago with three things on my itinerary: romance, sightseeing, and sampling some of Chicago's world-famous hot dogs. The first two having been checked off my list, I ventured to Michael's after hearing about their renowned Chicago-style dogs. I was not disappointed! Michael's has a good-sized selection of dogs and toppings that would be more than adequate for anyone stopping by. It was delicious to say the least! It had been exactly what I was looking for. There's only so much I can type about this place... so you'll just have to try it for yourself! Next time you're passing through the suburbs on the North Side of Chicago, and looking for a good Chicago-style dog- I insist you stop by! 5 stars from this reviewer.

1  Thank The-Count-of-Tuscany
Reviewed 1 December 2016

I haven't been here in a while. It is usually so busy that it sometimes causes me to not go in. This evening, it was at a slow moment so we went in. We could not decide what to eat, there were so many good choices from Hot Dog to Burger to Italian Beef to baked potatoes with all the trimmings. This restaurant is efficient across the board and offers quality for its offerings. In short, I need to show up here more often.

Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

We go here sometimes and the food is good. We don't eat meat, but their salads, potatoes, and tuna steaks are good. They specialize in hot dogs which I heard were food, but can't talk from experience.
Overall, this is a pretty good restaurant.