“Stopped for pie”

Blue Springs Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Highland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

After years of not driving by when it was open or not at a mealtime, we finally stopped after lunch for pie. My husband ordered the cherry pie which was fabulous. I ordered the coconut cream and was terribly disappointed. There was no coconut taste, filling was sort of gel like. We will stop by again as my husband noted the food menu which included two of his favorites - meatloaf and livers/gizzards.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

My dad really loved this place. It is pretty good and served family style. I had the pork chops which were pretty good. We were too full to eat pie, so we bought a whole apple pie and took it back to out hotel which was in Greenville. There were 5 of us and we had a piece that night and then a piece the next afternoon. THe pie if definitely worth the trip.

Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

We saw the signs for the pie along the highway and needed gas anyway so we decided to stop. The prices were right. On the lunch menu everything was $7.95 and that was the entree and 2 sides. Very simple menu. Portions were very plentiful! Wasn’t the best food in the world but it hit the spot and filled us up, bathrooms were clean. We couldn’t leave without some pie. The pies were not a foot tall but that’s ok... most of it was meringue...I’d rather have more crust and filling. The server was very friendly but he wasn’t always as attentive. Did like the nostalgia and history of the place. Beware they do not take credit cards!!! There is an ATM there. Luckily we had cash. Not sure if we would come back

Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch while traveling instead of going to the usual chain restaurant. Amazingly delicious walleye and chicken livers! Generous portions and homemade baked beans. Then my husband and I split a slice of blackberry pie. We are stuffed! Cash only and worth it! Btw, super clean restrooms too!

Reviewed 15 August 2018

While the food and general service was decent (not out of this world, but decent), a restaurant experience is made in the whole - not just food. Unfortunately, the policy fails on the overall experience.

The restaurant made no mention they are cash only until after we ate. I happened to have enough cash, but my friend had to use the ATM - which conveniently puts another $3 in the restaurant owners pocket. Pretty much ruined the experience. It's 2018, folks - time to either accept credit cards or make it clear upon walking in the door. Don't have one little sign that nobody is going to see until going to pay (when it's too late to decide differently). If your restaurant is that marginal you have to make money off a deceptive policy, there's a bigger problem.

Based on this poor experience, I will not return to this restaurant if in the area again.

Been to Blue Springs Cafe? Share your experiences!