“First class dining in Gurnee”

The Chocolate Sanctuary
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chocolate Sanctuary is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 145 Restaurants in Gurnee
Price range: USD 10 - USD 32
Description: Full service restaurant and lounge
Description: Full service restaurant and lounge
Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

I have been dining at this delightful, unique restaurant for over a year and they have always kept up their very high standards. Their butternut squash and seafood chowders are up there with the best of them. And any cocoa nib-infused entrees are excellent - salmon, ribs etc.
Chef Mora has consistently kept impressing with his menu. A well hidden gem in Gurnee, this restaurant would not be out of place in other cities like Vegas, New York or LA.

Reviewed 10 March 2017

My husband, and I visited this restaurant during Lake County Restaurant Week (March 3rd-12th). I had always wanted to try it out, and thought restaurant week would be a great time to visit! We were promptly seated for our 7:30pm reservation. The decor in the restaurant is very new age, and you can tell they put in a lot of work upgrading the space! We were given a bread basket with warm rolls and chocolate infused butter. There was also brown bread with chocolate chips. I was absolutely delighted by this little touch, and the bread was delicious! They have an extensive cocktail menu. I ordered the raspberry shambam martini, which was delicious, and fairly priced at $9.50. After reviewing the menu we decided to take advantage of the pre fixed restaurant week selections. We had a choice of an appetizer, entree, and dessert for $25/pp. I thought this was very reasonably priced! My husband ordered the 5 spiced ribs, 6oz sakura pork loin, and the smore dark chocolate dessert. I ordered the chopped salad, chicken mascarpone & cocoa fettucine, and the smore dark chocolate dessert. For an additional appetizer we ordered the chicken & goat cheese wrapped in cocoa bacon. I thought the best items were the ribs, and my cocoa fettucine. The sakura pork loin was pretty boring in comparison to the other cocoa infused treats, but came with a delicious chocolate raspberry dipping sauce. The chocolate infused vinaigrette used on the salad, and the pasta was delicious. The chicken & goat cheese app was disappointing. There was barely any goat cheese used, and the chicken had zero flavor. The cocoa candied bacon was delicious. The smore dessert was very good, and also included bits of cocoa candied bacon. All in all we had a wonderful experience. The server was attentive and friendly. I love the concept of cocoa being incorporated in all the dishes. We will be back to try some more dishes. There was a dessert chocolate fountain calling our names! There is also a Sunday brunch option that looks delectable. Great addition to an area that lacks fine dining and culinary options!

Reviewed 2 March 2017

I honestly contemplated even writing this review because I had to order something not on the menu due to dietary needs. I follow a vegan diet and from the reservation to the taking of the order I was very hopeful that I would have a great meal. I was dissapointed. I don't expect gourmet vegan food when I go out, I mean, I get it. Not many people follow a vegan diet around me and less people know how to come up with something on the fly. Our server (Kristin??) was extremely knowledgeable and helpful and even read labels for me. She also knew a lot about gluten free for a dining mate of mine and even researched how things were made and cross contamination etc. Again, I am very easy when it comes to eating out. I only eat gourmet vegan when I cook it myself so I shouldn't even complain but what I got from a chef lacked everything. No extra flavor and half cooked veggies. I ended up with rice noodles, and steamed (possibly) veggies. No sauce, and I had asked for garlic and oil but I tasted no. And the kicker was I was charged $19 for this...the same as some of the meat dishes. So that was a bit depressing. I didn't say anything because I am not a. Complainer...I ate and didn't starve. Score. On the positive side- everyone else really enjoyed their meals, ranging from burgers to the pork chops and everything looked fantastic and smelled wonderful I know they would go back.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Another very good lunch. Harry had onion soup and a deconstructed Caesar salad and I had the beet salad with red and golden beets. Harry had beignets for dessert and I had wine. Food was excellent and service was very good. We have never been disappointed with the food or the service here.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

Over priced. Different. I would not consider this a place to go often. Lots of unusual foods made with chocolate in it. Has a good butternut soup.