“The place has seen better days”

Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Galesburg
Reviewed 11 October 2016

We stayed here for a college visit and while the cost was great, it would have been nice to have a more up to date hotel. I was surprised as we regularly stay at Best Westerns and have always had great experiences. This one seems to have seen better days, it is outdated and needs to be cleaned up. It looked like there were some repairs or remodel going on while we were there. Our room was a non-smoking room, yet had a faint odor of smoke in the room, which may have come from the employees. We spotted ashtrays placed on tables facing the courtyards only.
Our check-in process was quick, they did have our room reserved for only 2 nights when I needed 3 and that was quickly fixed thankfully since I was checking in at 11pm on a Thursday night after a long day of airport delays.

The bathrooms were very basic and really did need to be cleaned more thoroughly, the soap and lotion dispensers were the in the wall type. You pushed on them for shampoo, conditioner, or lotion even in the shower, it was an interesting and I am sure cost-saving way of giving out toiletries. We didn't use them at all, because with skin sensitivities there is no way of knowing what type of soaps are being used without asking.

We had issues with rooms being cleaned late and then not being cleaned at all one of the days. We called around 5pm to ask to have the room cleaned and they did come rather quickly to do so. We traveled with others in our family and they stayed in a room next to ours and their reservations said continental breakfast included. When we went to have breakfast we found that the place dark and closed and told the employees were late and were not sure when they would be in. Well we never went back and went to The Grandview instead for breakfast, which was great.
Another issue we had was the fitness center, while I understand that hotels do not usually have the greatest fitness equipment this one really lacked in most every area of fitness equipment. There was one treadmill, one elliptical and some type of universal lifting equipment and it was cumbersome to use due to the lack of space.
It really is a shame, because this looks like a hotel that really has some potential, just needs some updating and cleaning up. I just don't think it quite lives up to the Best Western name at least not yet.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the first floor this hotel has no elevators
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
prairieinn, Front Office Manager at Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2016

Thank you for your review. I have forwarded your review to management. We always want our guest happy and comfortable. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. Please feel free to give us a call at 309-343-7151. We would like to see you again soon to show you that we can make your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

The staff was nice. It was a quiet location. There were dirty areas in bathroom. There area where they wanted is to park was poorly lighted. There was no free breakfast. They had a dark unwelcoming restaurant. We won't stay at Best Westerns again. We usually choose Comfort Inns but there were none in the area.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your review. I am forwarding these comments to management so we can correct any issues that may have occurred. We do have a full service restaurant that serves a sit down breakfast and authentic Indian food in the evening. If you have any questions please feel free to give us a call at 309-343-7151.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

A quiet place, generally, probably the best motel in town, but unremarkable by more global standards. I've stayed here before and been happy. This time I had difficulty getting wifi in my room, and the desk clerk treated me as if I was stupid and computer illiterate. I am neither. I wound up calling the help desk and dealing with them for half an hour, and the problem was something with the hotel. Even when I told the clerk that, he still treated me as though I was lying and too stupid to figure out how to connect with wifi. His attitude was patronizing and offensive.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
prairieinn, Front Office Manager at Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2016

Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you stated we are the best in town. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced. I am forwarding this review to our management so that this will not happen again. At anytime during your stay with us you are free to ask questions! We hope you will give us another try to show you that we do want our guest happy and comfortable every time. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 309-343-7151.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

Shower didn't work and staff is over worked and unwilling to stand behind what they say (lie) when confronted about what they stated or said previously. I made a reservation with pets and they want to fine me because the clerk put me in the wrong room. How am I supposed to know what specific room I need to be in?

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Ben,
We apologize that you had these issues at our location. We are a pet friendly hotel with a pet friendly hallway. It is very important that you sign your registration policy with the acknowledgement that you have to register your pets at check-in time. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime at
309-343-7151.

Reviewed 21 September 2016

Came in for a birthday/college reunion party. We didn't spend much time at the hotel and never had an opportunity to use the pool, but the beds were comfortable, the room was clean and came with a mini-fridge, which was a plus. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
prairieinn, Front Office Manager at Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2016

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will look forward to you staying with us again!

Amber Smith

Also consider these accommodations in or near Galesburg
6.1 km away
26.2 km away
Super 8 Monmouth IL
Super 8 Monmouth IL
#2 of 3 in Monmouth

Been to Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!