“Abysmal, do not subject yourself to this place.”

Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Elk Grove Village
Toronto, Canada
“Abysmal, do not subject yourself to this place.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

We were driving across America to Toronto and decided to stop for a couple of nights in Chicago on our way through so we could see the city and do the touristy thing. We chose the Days Inn for the price primarily, and I would not have paid a cent more for that excuse of a hotel.
The check in was painless and quick, but then we had to haul our bags up a steep flight of stairs into a hallway that smelt extremely strongly of cleaning products.
They made a mistake with our room, having 2 twin beds instead of a king, but we were both so tired from driving that we just crashed out.
Before going to sleep however, we had a cockroach visit us in the room which i had to kill, and put me off this place even more.
The water smelt like rotten eggs to the point where we couldn't shower or brush our teeth.
Breakfast was non-existant, some leftover cereal, 2 doughnuts and half a cup of coffee left in the pot.
All in all - if you really have a tight budget and don't mind slumming it then this scrapes through, but we went to the Comfort Inn the next night and it felt then 5* luxury in comparison, for $30 more.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

1 Thank travelling_tom87
DaysInnOrdWest, General Manager at Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to do review at TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with our service. I am truly sorry that I failed to provide you with my very best. I have discussed this situation with my entire staff to ensure it is not repeated. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you on your next visit to our area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

OK, so the property is a bit of a dump. What do you expect for 50 bucks a night? Location isn't great, BUT they are the only cheap motel with a shuttle from O'Hare and their shuttle service is excellent - courteous drivers in a comfortable minivan with a scheduled return that departs on time. I have stayed here on several occasions and for an overnight stay between flights I think it is perfectly acceptable for any traveller. The hallways are a little creepy and reek of chemical cleaners - but at least that tells you it must be clean. Don't expect an elevator if you have a second floor room. Breakfast is nothing to get up early for. All of that pretty much comes with the territory at this price level.

The management of this hotel have chosen to invest in the ROOMS and that was a smart decision. They are comfortable. The bedding was of good quality (this is not the Hyatt, of course) and the pillow-top mattress was very nice. There were three good pillows on each queen bed. Bath amenities while not fancy, were perfectly adequate. Plenty of towels of adequate quality. Hot water did take a bit to get going but was also fine (I had to turn it down from it's hottest point). They have the arced out shower curtain rod (one of the 20th century's great inventions) so the bath is more than adequate. The INTERNET was fast and reliable. Walking down the (long!) hallway you'll notice 3 or 4 wifi routers all blinking away. If free in-room internet matters to you (it does to me) you'll appreciate not having to worry about your signal.

Finally, the SERVICE was great... fastest check in and out ever... less than a minute total, I believe. I just wanted to leave them a good review because their management really seems to be on top of things and I expect this property will continue to improve. If you focus on THE ROOMS this is not a dive at all. I didn't drink the water (though the ice maker worked and the ice was just fine) but I didn't notice any odors or "sulphurous" fumes. Don't know what those reviewers are talking about. Don't expect to be pampered, but you WILL get a good night's sleep and a hot shower with free wifi and a convenient airport shuttle for a price that's as low as anyone else in town.

Room Tip: If you stay on the second floor you DO get an "in room" refrigerator. Just open the slidi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Experience-Matters
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The only reason one could possibly have for staying in this hotel is the inexpensive “park and fly” option. For the one night room rate of around $75, we were able to park for 9 nights. However, the shuttle, in both directions, only runs once an hour, so expect to sit and wait for quite a while. We called the hotel directly to make our reservations, and no one mentioned this fact. The shuttle takes about 20 minutes in each direction.
The hotel is located in Elk Grove Village, which is west of O’Hare. It is basically in the middle of nowhere, although there is a McDonalds next door. The place is rundown and unattractive. The only other person taking the shuttle with us looked at me and said, “Interesting hotel,” and not in a good way. The advertised fitness room is a closet with decaying machines. The breakfast is some donuts, cold cereal, and bad coffee.
The front desk person who “greeted us” (and I do use that term loosely) was extremely odd, unfriendly, and condescending in tone. He gave us a room on the top of a rickety staircase, and offered no help dragging our bags up. The room was shoddy and smelled moldy. The shower was okay, but was accompanied by rag-like towels and a very small bar of soap (don’t expect any shampoo).
An important tip – be sure to park in front of the hotel. The back lot is very deserted.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Elk Grove Village hotels

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Room & bath were outdated, but for the price I paid well worth it. Our room was large & spacious, the bedding was clean, towels were rough, but clean. Only shampoo & soap in bath. Definitely no extras, but once again a great value. Includes parking & free shuttle if you fly out of O'Hare. Shuttle was ready to go when my kids & I were in the morning, and picked us up within 20-25 minutes of calling when we returned. Shuttle is a newer mini-van - nice & clean. Breakfast was not worth eating - I didn't have anyting & my girls threw out their donuts, but there is a McDonald's right next door.

Front desk workers were very helpful & everyone was very nice, including our shuttle drivers. There was a truck w/ camping trailer parked behind me - the front desk worker came out and offered to back my car out for me when he couldn't get ahold of the owner. Since I was traveling alone with my kids & was exhausted after a full day of traveling, I thought that was a really nice touch!

I would definitely stay there again if the need ever arose.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kristin C
DaysInnOrdWest, General Manager at Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed here for two nights late March and had no problems at all. The staff were friendly, polite, and helpful. The shuttle service worked great. The room was spacious, clean and quiet. TV with four HBO channels and well as the standard cable stations. The only thing from previous comments I can agree to is that the breakfast offerings are not up to par. Bagels would be a welcome addition.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
DaysInnOrdWest, General Manager at Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West, responded to this review, 3 April 2012