“Hooray for the ambiance and drinks, forget the food.”
Review of Cellar Door

Cellar Door
Ranked #23 of 184 Restaurants in Downers Grove
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Our first time experience at Cellar Door was very good. My husband and I made a quick stop during Grovefest 2017. Had the "Surprise Red," my husband had the "Firehouse Red" and had a caprese salad to go with the wine. The surprise red of the day was Sean Minor Pinot Noir. I normally don't like Pinot Noir, but this was the best so far I've tasted, and it paved for me to try other Pinot Noir next time. The "Firehouse Red" was not terrible, but it was not the best either. The description of the "House Red" is not very far from the description that should be given to the "Firehouse Red," in our opinion. The caprese salad has salty mozzarella cheese and mediocre balsamic vinaigrette. It was a good decision for us to have the dressing/vinaigrette on the side, helped us stabilize our stomachs after having junk at the festival. The best part of coming to Cellar Door was the Al Fresco dining. The tall tables and chairs at front was a terrific place to chat and people watch. The 'no dogs allowed' policy after 4:00 PM is a great idea. Cellar Door is perfect for satisfying curiosity for wine. The selection is not gigantic, but it is varying, Cellar Door worth revisiting on several other occasions, since they change their menu. They sell wines by the bottle, shelved in the shop itself. On a busy evening, it is difficult to view the bottles, but the host behind the counter is/are happy to answer questions. The Daily Specials are worth keeping in mind.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

My husband and I went to the Cellar Door for the first time, and we loved it. They have many different wines and beers to choose from, and they also have food such as bacon wrapped dates and multiple options of flatbread. The presentation is lovely, and the food is delicious. There appear to be many regulars that chat with the staff and the cook comes out to chat, as well.

Jennifer took our order and was very prompt with service, especially as Cellar Door was packed for a steady 4 hours (the length of time we stayed to enjoy ourselves). She made good suggestions, and checked back with us frequently. The patrons are also usually local and very friendly. We met several different people from our town and chatting with them for a little bit.

TIPS:
This is a popular place, so get there early or be prepared to wait, especially if you want to sit outside. I would recommend sitting outside during nice weather for the ambiance and people watching.

I would highly recommend this locale.

Reviewed 26 April 2017

Not my first, or last time at Cellar Door. They have a great selection of wine and I always enjoy sitting in or out side for a drink, light meal and visit. CD is small, generally busy (at least when I've gone). The surprise is that the food is quite tasty! The Cuban suerte is very good and big enough to share with a salad or appetizer. The southwest salad, the beet and goat cheese salads are both tasty and fresh. We tried the sweet Thai Chili flatbread pizza which was different and yummy.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

A friend was in town, so we opted to check out Cellar Door to have some dessert and wine. We were not disappointed, and I will return again and sit outside on a warmer day, though the inside atmosphere is nice. It is small. I had a nice white wine and the cheesecake...amazing!

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We've walked/driven by this place for almost a year and kept meaning to stop in. We purchased a Groupon ($12.00 for $20.00 worth of food/wine) and made it a point to go. The place is small and the tables are 'cozy.' There was a boisterous group of wine happy women who were a bit annoying but they got cut off and filtered out. If you're going to stay for more than one glass, buy a bottle. The bottles are advertised as being sold at liquor store prices so there is a $10 uncorking fee (still cheaper than a bottle markup at most restaurants) and you can take home any unfinished portion. We opted for the charcuterie board with 7 selections of meat/cheese and the bacon wrapped dates. Both were delicious and the perfect light dinner I was hoping for while still being flavorful. We would like to go back in the summer and sit outside to watch the going-ons of downtown Downers Grove.