“A fabulous Mexican restaurant in my neighborhood, that we somehow missed!”

El Tradicional Mexican Restaurant & Cantina
Reserve with OpenTable
El Tradicional Mexican Restaurant & Cantina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 73 Restaurants in Deerfield
Reviewed 13 April 2017

I was on Facebook and saw that some dear friends had eaten here. I couldn't believe that we were somehow unaware of a good Mexican restaurant in our own backyard. We went today and fell in love with it. From the beginning to our departure, the experience was wonderful. We felt as if we were with family, more than one server took pains to make our experience amazing. The taco chips (homemade) and salsa (uniquely different) were delicious. The Queso fundido with chorrizo was superb. I had 'Buddy's Plate,' which had several different things (and with Mole sauce) and I was amazed. We topped off the dinner with coffee (Mexican coffee with a hint of cinnamon) and churros (freshly baked). My wife said that she had had churros in Madrid, supposedly the best in the country, and these were even better. It was a wonderful time and we want a repeat really soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

Pricy menu. Service started out good, but ended up bad. Everyone was attentive when we arrived and sat in the bar, although we had to move because every time the outside door opened, it got very cold. Chips were very good (probably homemade) but the both the green and red salsas were very different tasting then anything I've had before (not in a good way). Had the skirt steak and cheese enchilada. Steak was generous portion but enchilada was small. Sauce on it was ok but not my first choice. Wife like her quesadilla and friends seemed to like the generously portioned fajitas. No gluten free menu choices upset my friend a little but she just ate the meat and veggies, so not really a problem. Service went downhill at the end. When it was clear we had finished eating and ordering drinks, we seemed to be forgotten in a restaurant with only a few tables occupied. When we finally got tired of waiting for our check to arrive, I got the attention of our waitress, who was sitting at the end to the bar. Rather than acknowledge me, she said something to the bartender in Spanish and he came over and gave us our check. I then noticed that the waitress had her coat on and her purse on her shoulder, so she must have wanted to go home more than she wanted a tip. Not a good way to end our night. For the price and food, I'd rather go somewhere else next time.

Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

Amazing food, amazing atmosphere, amazing drinks!!! Had such a great time here with friends. Fun for all ages!!!

Reviewed 7 January 2017

I've gone here twice, one time I got the chicken fajitas which were quite good. Tasty, seasoned well, and a decent portion size - though they needed to provide more tortillas. Second time I ordered the steak taco dinner. I was surprised they used flour tortillas for this as well, as opposed to the traditional corn tortillas (though it might have been white corn tortillas?). The tacos were not as good as the fajitas, needing a bit more spice to them, which was fixed by adding salsa to the taco. Their rice and beans are standard fare, though could use a bit more spice as well. Will probably go again.

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

This is a neighborhood restaurant for me. My husband and I have been going there since it opened. They have the best Margaritas. Not too sweet. Skirt steak entrees are my favorite. I also like the burrito with mole. I would avoid the fish tacos. They were very bland and light on slaw, sauce, etc. Service is always great and friendly.