“Convenient and Clean”

Welcome Hotel and Suites
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed 17 August 2016

Overview:
Only stayed for one night, but was a good experience. Called ahead to let them know I would be checking in late, and they were quick and courteous on the phone. When I arrived at 12:30am I was checked into my room promptly. Room and property is well appointed. Check out was seamless.

Pros:
Convenient location if you're passing through, clean, friendly staff, affordable, decent free continental breakfast, free wifi.

Cons:
Hot breakfast is mediocre except MYO pancakes (this is typical even for more expensive hotels), housekeeping knocked at 8am and room didn't have do not disturb sign.

Verdict:
Would recommend for short stay. Convenient, clean and spacious. Ask for do not disturb card at front desk.

Room Tip: Rooms at either end of the building are quieter
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your stay at our hotel. I appreciate the positive feedback and will make sure to share it with my staff. I am sorry you didn't have a Do Not Disturb sign in your room. I have talked with housekeeping to make sure that all rooms have one in them.

There are newer reviews for Welcome Hotel and Suites

Reviewed 5 July 2016

The Bathroom:

Cons:
It was Tight.
The Under Mounted Sink that attaches to the Countertop that area needed a good scrubbing.
The Floor was caked with Dirt in the Corners.
The Grout and Tiles had Cracks in them.
The caulking was dirty.
The Blow Drier and its Cord needed to be Dusted.
The Wallpaper was Stained and Separating at the Seams.
The Ceiling had some Black Spots resembling Mildew.
Light & Fan on same Switch. (making moisture issues impossible to remedy)
The Door had Marks from Previous Guests. (The door was painted with a flat or egg shell paint so it clearly wasn't easy to clean. A High Gloss Paint would have been a better choice.)
The door jam was made of metal and it was rusting.

Pros:

Hot Water.
Great Shower Head.
Curved Shower Rod.
2 Toilet Paper Holders
Perfectly Clean Towels, Hand Towels & Wash Clothes.
Large Mirror.
Large Countertops.
Clean Tub & Toilet.

The Room:

Cons:
The Ceiling had Poor Drywall Work Done. The Tape was separating and Hanging Down.
The Wallpaper Seams were Separating.
The Telephone was difficult to use. (Some instructions would have been helpful.)
The Chair & Ottoman's Upholstery had Stains from Previous Guests.
The Furniture was a Poor Quality Wood like Particle Board.
The Head Board, Dresser, Desk & Night Stand & End Table had Nicks & Scratches.
The Desk had Chunks of Veneer Missing exposing the Particle Board Underneath.
The Colors Choices, Pictures and Lamps were Dated.
The Microwave was Dirty. (It had red food splattered on the inside.)
The Fridge was Dirty. (It had liquid in the bottom from previous guests.)
It did NOT have a Pretty View.
The Red Bedding at the end of the bed was
ripped.
The Carpet Corners and Edges need to be vacuum.
The Dust Ruffle had Stains from previous guests.
The Subfloor was Damaged. It felt like Broken Tiles Shifting underneath you.
It was in need of a Spring Cleaning.
The Room Keys didn't work most of the time. (My husband had to make multiple trips down to the Hostess to fix it almost nightly.)

Pros:
An Ironing Board & Iron.
A Refrigerator.
A Microwave.
A Safe.
Well Insulted. I could NOT hear the guests above us.
A Desk with a Comfortable Office Chair.
A Nice Size Dresser with 4 Drawers.
A Large Closet Area with Doors to Hide your Luggage.
A Comfortable Mattress.
Cleaning Sheets.
Good Lightning.
A Large Mirror.
A Reading Chair with Ottoman.
Cable T.V.
Free Wi -Fi.
The Air Conditioner worked Great!

The Eating Area:

Cons:

The Tables were Dirty.
The Countertops were Covered in Crumbs.
The Hot Food was Cold.
The Bread & Biscuits were Stale.
The Coffee was gross.
The Hot Water for Oatmeal wasn't always available on multiple times.
The T.V. in the area was loud and sometimes had things on it not appropriate for children.

Pros:
Large Eating Area.
The Cold Food was Refrigerated.
A Great Variety.

The Food Selection:
Drinks:
Coffee
Juice: Orange, Apple & Cranberry.
Water
Milk

Breakfast Foods:
Pancake Maker
Cereal...Fruit Loops, Raisin Bran, Cocoa Crispies.
Oatmeal
Sausage Links or Patties or Bacon
Hard Boiled Eggs
Scrambled Eggs...A Warning: wierd texture!
Sausage Gravy
Biscuit
Bagels
English Muffins
Toast with Peanut Butter & Jelly
Yogurt

Fruit:
Bananas
Apples & Pears in the Lobby Area.

The Hotel

Cons:
The Wallpaper Seams were Separating.
The Elevators Doors had finger prints and Swirl Marks & Corners were dirty.
The Hallways & Lobby were in need of a Spring Cleaning particularly the Edges. They had Cobwebs with Dead Bugs.
The 2nd Floor Carpet had a Major Stain running down the middle.
The Light Fixtures were Dusty.
The Lobby Chandler had Dead Bugs on it.
The Plants in Lobby were Caked with Dust.
The Stairways to Second Floor had Cobwebs in the Corners with Bugs in them.
The Walls in the Stairway had Writing on the Walls.
The Carpet and Stairs needed to be Vacuumed and Steamed Cleaned.
The Hot Tub was Broken during our Whole Stay.
The Windows and Glass Doors were Dirty throughout the entire Hotel.
The Grounds were Littered with Cigarette Buds in particular the right of the front enterance and the back parking lot enterance
The Grounds needed to have there Weeds Pulled.

Pros:
Nice Planters with Flowers at the Front Entrance.
Easy to Locate.
Great Location - Close to Gas Stations, Restaurants and Shopping.
Check in was Fast.
Snacks and Drinks available for Purchase.
A Laundry Room.
A Large Lobby with Plenty of Seating.
A Pool with a Hot Tub.

The Staff:

Some where friendly and hospitable. Others were not.
Some where hardworking and diligent. Others where not. They were texting or taking on there cellphones instead of working.
2 people impressed me:
A white young man trimming the bushes had a good work ethic. He was always working & doing so efficiently. However, he could have slowed down a little and acknowledged the guests around him with a smile and a simple greeting.
A middle aged black woman with ear length hair. She did an excellent job keeping the dinning area clean and the food fresh. She was also friendly. She acknowledged your presence with a smile and a hello or good morning. That Simple Gesture goes a Long Way.
In my opinion, the staff in charge of morning dinning area needs major improvement. I was highly disappointed in food temperature and cleaning up after guests.

All in all, I would only stay here again if they address the maintenance issues by repairing the damage to the subfloor. Plus step up there game in the cleanliness department. I want to stay in a Hotel that is cleaner than my home not worse. I also want hot and fresh tasting food. That way, I feel like a welcomed guest not a jail inmate.

We stay in the Decatur/ Forsyth Area Yearly for Family Reunions. In the Hotels we had stayed in. First, I would recommend The Fairfield. Second, County Inn and Suites. Third, Welcome Hotel & Suites.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank RebaCM
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I apologize that you were less than satisfied with your stay with us. We are currently under renovation and in the process of replacing and repairing the issues you mentioned in your review. The cleanliness issues you mentioned were already addressed prior to your review. The staff issues you mentioned I am addressing on a point-by-point basis with each employee so they can improve their performance in their individual roles.

Reviewed 4 July 2016

We were here for a family for the weekend and my husband booked this hotel because the rating was a 4+ star. I don't know what hotel these people stayed in but it wasn't this one. Looking from the outside it was nice, even the lobby was presentable, got on the elevator still ok. Once we got to our floor (2nd) the hallway looked a bit creepy, it reminded us of The Shining. Get to our room and it didn't look anything like the picture. The phone in the room didn't even have a dial tone (think goodness for cell phones),I uploaded pictures. The only thing I can say was good is the room had more than enough outlets and the fridge keeps your items cold.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank CECEHILL
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your stay at our hotel. I have alerted my maintenance personnel about the phone in your guest room so we can make sure the phone is in working order. I apologize that you were unhappy with the hallway outside of your guest room and you felt that the pictures online didn't look like our rooms. I assure you, I personally took the pictures and know that they are pictures from our hotel. We are in the process of updating our rooms and public areas so there new pictures posted when the renovation is completed.

Reviewed 25 May 2016

Wall paper in hallways is peeling, refrigerators in rooms don't work. Sinks don't drain. Housekeeping didn't clean the room, garbage wasn't emptied, had to ask for toilet paper. Loud guests were never addressed. Staff were indifferent and talking about personal things and people in jail they knew.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank vski2016
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your stay at our hotel. I apologize for the issues you incurred during your stay. I will address the issues you mentioned on a point-by-point basis with my staff to ensure that these issues do not happen again. As far as the wallpaper peeling, we are in the process of updating and renovating areas of our hotel. Wallpaper is one of the items we are replacing. I appreciate your comments and will make sure the staff is aware of them so we can continue to improve our performance and standards in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2016

I have now visited Welcome Hotel and Suites on two separate occasions and am very happy to report that both the accommodations and customer service were just as fantastic as the first time I stayed here in the fall of last year! The indoor pool and hot-tub provided an excellent way to wind down after the long drive in from Ohio. I can say I was quite pleased to see the pool remains open until midnight! The rooms are clean and comfortable. As for myself, I can think of no reason to stay anywhere else if passing through the area. Nearby restaurant options for dinner are plentiful and the hot breakfast provided made for a great way to kick start the following day. Great job, Welcome Hotel!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2016

Thank you so very much! I will make sure all of my staff get to read your review! It will make their day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
12.8 km away
#8 of 14 in Decatur
1.2 km away
Homewood Suites Decatur-Forsyth

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Decatur

Been to Welcome Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!