“Off The Highway - Good Value”

Welcome Hotel and Suites
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our #1 choice was booked solid this week, so we looked for an alternative. We will be in the area off and on for the next four years on family business, so we are getting to know the better places to stay (at least in our opinion). This is one of them. Off the main highway in a quiet location, the hotel serves a snack-style meal in the evening, and a decent full breakfast in the AM. Rooms were spacious and comfortable. Housekeeping staff was excellent, and made up our room extra special for my daughter. Registration and front desk staff also cheerful. When you figure that you'll save the cost of at least one meal, maybe two, and also the good beds and large clean rooms, this hotel becomes an excellent value. We are happy we stayed here, and will return.

Room Tip: Bring you own pillows. Hotel pillows were lumpy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank refelo
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! I will make sure to share the review will all of my employees. They look forward to hearing guests' positive feedback. I hope that when you are in the area in the future you will have an opportunity to visit us again.

There are newer reviews for Welcome Hotel and Suites

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I spent 2 weeks there. The staff was more than considerate and the GM, Tara, went out of her way to make me feel comfortable. The breakfasts and dinners were great and saved me a lot of $ instead of always having to go to a nearby restaurant. (and there are a lot of them!) My room was clean, quiet, roomy and very, very reasonably priced compared to others in the area. This is where I will always stay when I return! Thanks for making my time away from home a pleasant one!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words! I enjoyed having you stay with us! I will make sure to pass on the review to the staff, as well. Please let me know when you are in the area again and I will take care of the arrangements for you. See you soon!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is a former holiday inn express -- converted recently, I surmise -- and it's a pleasant place to stay, if you can ignore the outrageous carpet in the halls. My room was spacious, clean and fully equipped with a coffee maker, frig, microwave, flat screen (not hd) tv, working area, free inroom wifi and a easy chair and ottoman. What else do you need? The lobby is shiny clean; hotel also offers a pool, hot tub, small fitness center and a public computer and printer. If you're there for a while, the laundry would be useful. Location is a bit off the beaten path, but it's within a mile or so of all the chain restaurants and a shopping center. Free breakfast is good, with hot scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy and bacon, along with the usual suspects -- cereal, pancakes, breads. Curiously (but fine with with me) no doughnots or cupcakes -- the only fresh fruit is a large platter of apples in the lobby. I would have no trouble staying here again...it is clean, spacious and quiet. what else could i ask for?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you so much for the input you gave us concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I really enjoy receiving positive reviews! I make it a point to share all reviews with my employees and use the reviews as a tool to motivate and encourage them. If you are ever in the area again, I hope you will take that opportunity to visit us.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I've stayed here several times, but tonight's will be my last stay. This place has gone downhill since converting from the old Holiday Inn. It's in no way worth the $80 room plus tax. It's extremely dirty, and the online photos of the rooms are misleading. They don't look like that at all. Most furniture is outdated and damaged in some way.

In multiple rooms I've stayed in, I've had all similar experiences. The white sheets on the bed are always spotted, who knows if they are clean. The blanket they lay at the end of the bed (and never clean) is always dirty. This one tonight had chip or cookie crumbs all over it when I turned it over. The couch chairs in the rooms are always filthy, loaded with spots and marks. I wouldn't touch the furniture with a pole. The carpet is ripping at the seams in every room I've stayed, and there is always dirt buildup and spots near the bathroom on the carpet. My white socks are always black after walking around. I dare you to wet a white cloth and rub it on the carpet. It will look black in seconds.

The bathroom sometimes has hair in the sink, and I notice cracks in the walls and ceiling in the rooms, bathroom, and closet. When they've clearly tried to repair any cracks or holes in the wall, it looks like an 8th grader did it. They aren't re-painted or done professionally at all. The staff here has no idea what they are doing, or they simply take zero pride in their work. The hole inside the closet was patched by a blind person.

In addition, they do not seem to have a furnace/AC unit in any room that works properly. I've had one that blew out disgustingly rotten cheesy smelling air, and when I approached the front desk to change rooms, she says "Yea we've had complaints about that before." haha! Then why would you put someone else in that room!?!?! Especially without fixing it!! Clueless and carless. The units are also just loud; they hum loudly and make all kinds of noises. This place is very poorly run.

If you look in the other public areas, you'll notice the pool is dirty and the "workout center" has broken equipment and it's also dirty. The floors next to and behind the vending machines haven't been cleaned in years. Corners are filthy and cobwebs are in the ceiling corners. It's just gross.

Honestly, Forsyth is a good location for people needing to be near Decatur like me. It has better restaurants right around here, but there are also like 8 other hotels. I would stay somewhere else with a better known name across route 51.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tara M, General Manager at Welcome Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the problems you incurred with the cleanliness of your guest room carpet and the lack of attention to detail in our public areas. I value all feedback and use it as a training tool to better my staff. You mentioned that you will be staying elsewhere when returning to the area, however if given the opportunity I do hope you will stay with us again and allow us to give you a better impression of how our hotel really is.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

The place was immaculately clean. The rooms were very spacious. The king bed was very comfortable and the décor to the room comfy and welcoming! The staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. There was a mall in walking distance that had Bergner's, Sears, J.C.Penny, Von Mauer and many other stores.
In the back of the building right outside the swimming pool door, there was a brick fireplace with a fire going in it. The patio was very clean and the landscape was fresh and beautiful!
The breakfast was delicious and there was a great variety. The only thing not A+ was the coffee!

Room Tip: We had a room on 2nd floor that was very quiet and on the corner (217).
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple