“Never again....Look elsewhere..”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Decatur
Indianapolis
“Never again....Look elsewhere..”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

First off the front desk help was completely rude to my daughter and her softball team. She didn't like the fact that a bunch of softball players where staying there, and she made it well known too. The laundry facility was a complete joke..No change machine, and the front desk doesn't keep change on hand for it, the dryer was out of service, and it was the only one. The room was dirty, trash from the previous guest hadn't been emptied and the sheets were dirty. The breakfast area was small and cramped, not many choices..Won't be staying at this hotel again..

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Last year I visted Decatur and stayed at the Hawthorn Suites. I had booked my room non-smoking room months in advance and when I arrived they informed me that they were out of rooms and did not have a record of my reservation. Luckily I had a copy of my reservation including my confirmation number. They informed me that they had overbooked and that they would be able to give me a smoking room. I tried to be understanding and went to the room. When walking down the smoking room hallway I could barely breathe because of all of the smoke needless to say the room was not any better. I decided that I would not be able to stay in that room. I went back to the front desk and had to ask to speak with the manager who of course was not there at the time. After a long discussion with the front desk clerk he was able to find a non-smoking room. Imagine that! I would never suggest that anyone stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I stayed at Hawthorne during a job interview. I had expected it to be nicer. However, I found that the room was not completely clean. Behind the bed between the headboard and bed, there was alot of hair and dirt. We had checked the beds and sheets for signs of bedbugs, unfortunately, I was not convinced that there were none. Superficially, the room seemed clean, but when we looked closer, it was definitely not clean enough for my comfort level.
For those staying here in the future, I would recommend to do a thorough check of the room before bringing luggage in and sleeping there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Murphysboro, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I stayed here while covering the Class A girls golf state tournament for a regional newspaper. This was my first trip to Mt. Zion and I'm going to break down my review into a couple segments.

The Hotel: This hotel is probably in the range of 20-25 years old, maybe a little less. The decor was sufficient, not elegant. Located right off the main street through town, it is easy to spot and get to/from. It caters mostly to business travelers, I assume, even though I only saw 6 guests total during the three days I was there.

Cleanliness: The Hawthorn is CLEAN with a capital C. You can smell the cleaning products when you get off the elevator. People with sensitive allergies or a strong aversion to such agents may have a problem with this. The room was made up in a timely manner each day, although the cleaning staff had a tendency to put the trash cans under the sink - forcing me to look for them each day.

Internet: This was my one and only complaint about this place. There were times where it was fantastic and times where everything slowed to a crawl. The internet seemed to get better at night, however, and is wireless.

The Room: The room was decent for a solo traveler, about the size of a college dorm room. The room came equipped with a breakfast nook that included a microwave, sink and fridge. They attempted to split the room in half by having a small couch, coffee table and recliner on one side and the bed on the other, but it just makes things look cluttered and a bit of a hassle to maneuver around.

Restaurants: The Hawthorn is located 2 miles from anything you'd want to eat. Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, McDonald's, Steak & Shake, Subway, Marconi's Pizza, there's plenty of places to choose from. If you need any toiletries or essentials, there's a Super Wal-Mart and a Dollar General located a short drive away.

Entertainment: There's a movie theater right outside the lobby. You could walk over to it. Red Tail Run Golf Club is 7 miles away and according to the brochure, there's a park and a zoo nearby as well.

Overall: I'd definitely stay here again and I'd recommend the hotel as a good stop-over on a family trip. With girls golf at Decatur for the next four years, I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Missouri
Reviewed 29 May 2010

This Hawthorn was good, if a bit pricy. It isn't new, it isn't extremely fancy but it was clean and easy to find (if in a bit of an odd location). The room was clean and smelled good. The fixtures were good. The hallways were clean and decently bright. The breakfast was excellent. The staff was friendly.

Internet service signal strength was strong and the speed was adequate. Many restaurants in walking distance of the hotel.

My stock disclaimer: Most of the time when people write reviews for motel or hotel, they only do it when they have a bad experience. I am writing reviews of every motel I stay in to give as unbiased of a review that I can.

The reviewed here is a moderately priced hotel, and it is unrealistic to expect it to be on-par with higher end motels or resorts, so comparing it to a higher end 3 and 4 hotels is not fair... I am comparing it against its peers.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple