i really liked this hotel - there were a lot of good things going for it: the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was huge (i had a large bedroom area with a huge bed, and a separate living room type area with a sofa, desk and coffee table - there was a TV in both areas, plus a large bathroom with tub and shower), and immaculately clean (one of the curtains in the bedroom was off its hooks a bit and too high up for me to reattach it, and presumably for the cleaners too, but that was no big deal).
there was a vending and ice area down the hall, as well as free wifi in the rooms and in the lobby (which is large, has citrus water to drink and comfy chairs to sit in). there was a diner type restaurant in the ground floor that was open fairly often and could be accessed from the hotel or outside, that did decent, inexpensive breakfasts and had a bar and ATM.
the location was great - right next to wabash/madison L station, which has green, purple, pink and brown lines i think; the red line was very close too, Monroe station was 1 block away. millennium park, the bean and the art institute were 2 blocks away, the cultural center about the same, there were lots of restaurants close by (including pizano's pizza literally across the street), bars, cafes, useful shops (CVS, walgreens & two 7-elevens within a couple of blocks).
the only downside - and actually for me it really wasn't, because i find this oddly comforting - was that being positioned almost under the L tracks & station meant the hotel was generally very noisy. if you stood outside the entrance (say, waiting for a shuttle to the airport etc) the noise was really loud, every time a train goes through you really know about it. but even within the hotel you could still hear the rumbling of trains and sometimes also the bells to signify opening/closing doors and platform announcements. my room was at the back so this was lessened, but it was still clearly there. i have no problem with this but any travellers who prefer to be somewhere quiet should perhaps rethink and do just that. however, if that kind of thing isn't a problem for you and you want somewhere with impeccable location, good staff & lovely rooms, go for this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy exceptional service, a warm and elegant setting with an unparalleled location in downtown Chicago. The Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown is a a rare gem, that is encased in classical architecture and sparkling with a new choice of luxury through contemporary spacious guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Odigeo, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Hotelopia so you can book your The Silversmith Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Silversmith Hotel And Suites
- The Silversmith Hotel Chicago
- Silversmith Hotel Chicago