New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #111 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Grand Haven, MI
“Very unique look for a chain.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Enjoyed the decor and style of this hotel. Parking is a little on the expensive side.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Thai first
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I just recently stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Chicago, IL. We stayed there for 2 nights, a Saturday and Sunday. The only good thing I can really say about this hotel is the location. It was only about a 10 minute walk from Michigan Ave. and had every type of restaurant/store nearby that you could want.

When we first walked in the decor was great and the lobby looked extremely nice. The staff when we checked in was not too friendly or overly nice but everyone is entitled to having a bad day. We then were told that we had a smoking room, which we were unaware of. When we stepped off of the elevator the entire floor wreaked of smoke. I have stayed in other hotels on the smoking floor and have never had this problem. When we walked into the room we noticed the decor was very cute and colorful but the size was extremely small. Not only was the room extremely small but there was a spider on the wall which had been killed and smeared across the ceiling..quite disgusting. The TV looked to be about a 19" from the late 1990's and was somewhat hard to see from the bed because it was so small. The bathroom was fine and was the most modern thing in the room, although the sink did back up when I brushed my teeth but eventually went down after a few minutes. The room was equipped with a keurig, however we were given only decaf coffee. I'm sure we could have called down and asked for regular but did not feel like going through all that and went to starbucks instead.

The worst part of my stay was the fact that the walls of this hotel are EXTREMELY thin. For approximately 30 mins we could here people in a room down the hall have sexual relations. It was absolutely disgusting and for this reason and all of the others, I will NEVER stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Mary S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Ben J
IHG Care
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I'm currently sitting in my room in this hotel, with my view of the fire escape and my 1992 era television. Upon arrival around midnight last night, I was told there was only a public parking deck next door but if I wanted street parking, I could come down and start feeding a meter at 8am. It would seem I was lucky there was a $39/day deck next door. I then attempted to enter my room with what would appear to be 2 bad keys. After returning to the front desk (I was treated very nicely by the night manager) she came up with me and it turns out the key has to sit in the slot for 10 seconds before you can get in. Wow.

The room is ok. The laminate hardwood floors would be a decent touch, if they werent uneven and chipped in parts. I can also hear everything my neighbors are doing. When I called to order some coffee and breakfast, the chick in the restaurant said she would call me back and when I picked up the phone when she did, she just said "yeah?" as if I had interrupted her mid-conversation. When I asked how long I could wait for breakfast she complained about how she was the only one there, and there were other people waiting, and it would be 20 minutes for my yogurt, fruit, and coffee.

I'm not impressed with the service, the room, or anything else I've seen. I've stayed at an Indigo in Asheville and LOVED it so I was excited to try this one in Chicago. My excitement was quickly dispelled with and now I'm wishing I'd shelled out the extra money for the Dana or Wyndham where I normally stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
codyadalyn,

Ben J
IHG Care
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My associate and I stayed at this hotel in town for a week long training. The staff were very helpful and got to know us in a personal way. They went above and beyond. Veronika at the front desk was amazing! You all made the week fun.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelIndigoChicago, Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Greetings,

Thank you for your review, we greatly appreciate the feedback! We are very proud of our staff here and will certainly pass on your compliments to Veronika, we are lucky to have her here with us! Needless to say, we are glad you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Kind Regards,
Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown
Downers Grove, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Booked on priceline, stayed 2 nights.

First impression: decor would be more appropriate for a seaside resort. The room was barely big enough to fit a small bed (Full size), and a desk with one chair. The TV was probably 15 years old and didn't have very good picture quality (I have better at home with basic cable). Small hallways. Had to elevator down 12 floors to get ice. Key cards worked about every fifth try (maybe there is a trick they haven't shared with us).

Next day: My wife and I passed on cleaning since we hadn't mangled the room much, but the second evening when we arrived back at the room and were watching some tv, we noticed a bunch of long black hair on the bed (not ours). Also found an yellow/orange something smeared on a blanket. I called the desk to ask that our linens be turned as we were leaving for the evening, and they said that wouldn't be a problem. Returned to find someone had left 2 folded sheets for us laying on the dirty bed (no pillow cases, no new blanket).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Andrew630
IHGCare, IHGCare at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Andrew630,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us and allowing us to address your concerns. We noticed your comment on hotel's decoration. Each Hotel Indigo is unique in its own way and evokes the individual tastes and cultures that make up our communities.

We apologize for the inconveniences you and your wife encountered due to the lack of housekeeping service. This is certainly not a norm for our hotel and we would love to discuss this further with you. We have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance. Thank you.

Lin S.