“Great stay - as usual!”

Ranked #50 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Wisconsin
“Great stay - as usual!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We visit Chicago at least twice a year for fun. We have stayed at the Homewood Suites multiple times over the past few years and we would never stay anywhere else. It's close to everything we want to see/do. The staff is always friendly - especially Connie - she recognized us from our previous trips and welcomed us back. How nice is that? I hope Homewood Suites knows what an excellent employee she is. Her customer service is top notch. There is absolutely nothing we don't love about Homewood Suites.

Room Tip: Request a corner room - they are thebest!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Faye,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review for Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. I shared your kind words with the team and your words seemed to motivate everyone to continue striving for excellence in guest service.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Visited Chicago for 4 nights last summer. This hotel was perfect. Staff was very friendly. Perfect location by Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier. Food was very good.

The only minor issue I had was the mistake on my bill where they charge me for parking when I didn't even have a car. However the friendly clerk took care of this right away. If I visit Chicago again, I shall return here.

• Stayed August 2011
Valued Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and want to thank you for noting that our staff is very friendly. I have shared your comments with the team.

In regards to the issue you had during billing: we as a team have reviewed the steps and procedures to ensure this does not happen again in the future. We really value your feedback; thank you for taking the time out of your day to help us in creating a better experience for our guests.

Cottleville, Missouri
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Everyone knows Chicago is expensive for families; but this is an acceptable solution. We traveled to Chicago with our daughter for "fun". Staying in the one bedroom suite provided sleeping privacy and the kitchen facilities and breakfast saved on food and snacks. The location is within walking distance of most shops and much entertainment. The room is clean, comfortable, and well used. Upper floors have a lovely city view as did our corner room. Staff is friendly and helpful--we asked for dinner recommendations on a Saturday night. We had a package that included half-price parking--always a major expense in Chicago. The appointments are not elegant, but they are functional. The bed was comfortable and fitted with very nice linens. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor, corner room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Cleveland OH
Reviewed 27 March 2012

What a lovely room - we stayed in a one bedroom suite - there was lots of room - with wonderful views of Downtown Chicago. Its in a central location, but remarkably quiet. The room was very clean, bed comfortable, nice pillows & towels. The breakfast is generous - The staff is sincerely welcoming & helpful. Front desk, valet, dinning room staff - all wonderful! We have been there twice & have always had a very good experience.

Room Tip: Such a nice room for the price...Highly recommend this hotel -
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ClevelandOHLisa
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post a review for Homewood Suites Chicago. We are incredibly proud of our entire team and thank you for your ongoing patronage of Homewood Suites while staying in Chicago.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 March 2012

There are some pros and cons with this hotel, but I cut my stay short because of some issues I encountered. I’m a Hilton Gold honors member, who travels six to nine months out of the year, and I was very disappointed with my four-week stay.

Pros:
* Great location; walking distance to Red Line stop at Grand/State; shops; restaurants; Jewel-Osco grocery store one block away.
* Good breakfast and dinner options; healthy.
* Friendly, helpful staff (with a few exceptions noted below).

Cons:
* Smoky smelling on some floors and in the hallways.
* Housekeeping is a hit or miss. I switched rooms because because some of the bureau drawers were dirty and had hair in them; another room/hallway smelled like smoke. Housekeeping the rest of the stay was hit or miss. I came back to the room a few times around 5-6pm and the room had not been cleaned, yet I did not have the "do not disturb" sign on the door. When they did clean, sometimes they didn't replace all the items like towels, soap, dish detergent, etc., so I had to call down a few times to have items brought up.
* No desk or chair provided in the room. I've stayed at several Homewoods over the years and this is the first time the room has not been equipped with a desk or chair, which I consider a necessity for business travelers. The building engineer brought me extra kitchen table and chair, which was adequate.
* Spotty internet service, which comes and goes. It was very hard to work from the hotel with inconsistent internet service.
* Very crowded hotel with families and tourists, which makes it noisy at times.
* Slow elevators - expect to wait a bit to go up or down.
* Good breakfast and dinner options like I mentioned, but the hotel is crowded, so food runs out quickly. Get there early to beat the crowds. I also wish they had more variety at breakfast - it was eggs, sausages, and potatoes six out of seven days of the week. Other Homewoods offer omelots, French toast, egg mcmuffin-style sandwiches.
* Laundry is on the 7th floor, which is also the smoking floor. It was gross having to walk down the smelly hallway with my clean laundry. There are two washers/dryers, but one washer was broke the first three weeks I was there. They also charge you for laundry detergent (Tide and Downy), which hasn't been my experience at other Homewoods. My second week, however, they had run out of Tide, so I had to go out to buy some. How does an extended stay hotel run out of laundry detergent?! Again, this shows me this hotel is not geared toward the business traveler.

* Problematic billing, which ultimately caused me to leave early. I realized they had charged my credit card two different charges, but I hadn't received a bill. I called down to the front desk and spoke to a lady who said she would send up the bill. The next morning I still had not received it, so I called again. The manager on duty interrupted me as I was explaining the situation and said "hold on, I don't know what you're talking about; I wasn't working yesterday." I told him I had two charges on my account and had asked for an itemized bill but I had not received it yet. He looked up my account and starting rattling off charges that were not mine. I verified he was looking at the correct room account and he said the charges were only authorizations. I explained to him I had a copy of my credit card statement and indeed, I had been charged. He again said the charges were only authorizations. I asked to speak to the manager on duty and he responded quite gruffly, I am on the manager on duty. To make a long story short, he was looking at the wrong computer screen and located the charges. He apologized and said he would send up the receipts. He called back a few minutes later and told me the receipts had been printed the day before and were laying on the desk, but had not been brought up. I'm a Hilton honors gold member and I've never had problems like this getting an itemized statement. The employee was extremely rude and ultimately, I cut my stay short because of the treatment I received.

This hotel is definintely geared more towards families/tourists than a serious business traveler. I wouldn't stay here again and don't plan on returning.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay, ask for a high room to avoid street noise. River North is very busy with tra...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DCTraveler2011
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Valued Guest,

Thank you for your response; we too are very proud of our team members and the good, healthy breakfast and dinner options we offer at the hotel.

I was alarmed to read about the hair in the bureau drawers and the smell of smoke in the hallways. I have spoken to our executive housekeeper about the situation. I would also like to take the time to inform you that we have new cleaning and deodorizing products the entire team is excited about. We have also just upgraded our internet capabilities for both speed and reliability. I apologize for the inconveniences throughout your stay, but look forward to creating an exceptional experience for you the next time you choose our hotel while in Chicago.