“Nice hotel, great location on N. Michigan Ave!”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #66 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We are members of the Ambassador rewards program and received an upgrade to a large, 2 room suite at check - in. Complimentary fruit bowl and bottled were delivered to us. The bedroom was big, comfy king size bed was perfect and furnishings well appointed - desk, bureau with flat screen TV. Free WiFi, as well informational computer provided (no internet unless you paid for it) Nicely renovated bathroom with separate shower and bath tub. No problems with water pressure even on a higher floor as mentioned in other reviews. Living room area was large with several windows over N. Michigan Ave. We were up on the 28th floor and during the day could hear sirens from street level, but it was quiet at night. This room would be useful for a longer business trip or a family needing the spread-out space. Bigger flat screen TV here. Furnishing in this room was a little drab. There was a second bathroom too!! All staff were helpful and the concierge reserved Architecture Boat tour for us. The ENO wine, cheese and chocolate bar in the hotel was a terrific and taste-y 'date night' evening. Recommended. PS. The pool is closed for re-furbishing, reopen date still TBD. Guests from Intercontinental can use the pool facilities across the street at the Marriott. We didn't.

Room Tip: Use concierge service for reservations.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,911)

Reviewed 24 March 2012

As a spur of the moment celebration/shopping/girls getaway I wanted to take my daughter to Chicago. I have always loved look and the history of this property, but have never stayed here...until now.

After doing some initial research of reviews...I was able to secure a fabulous rate and made the reservation. A few days before check in we received a welcome email from the hotel concierge...I reached out to him letting him know how excited we were to be coming and he offered a packet of coupons and other information to be picked up at his desk when we arrived.

At check-in we were pleasantly surprised to learn that our room had been upgraded to the 2th floor in the historic tour. The room was very clean and spacious. If there was a negative...there was not a lot of storage so if you we planning a multi-day stay it might be a problem. However, we were just staying for the weekend so it was not a big deal. I've read comments about the noise...seriously, it was very quiet except for the apparent 3 alarm fire that occurred sometime early evening when the trucks went by, but that was it.

Being late when we checked in, we really didnt want/need a big dinner...but we needed something so we thought we'd check out the wine bar and have a light snack and drink. However, there was apparently a convention or meeting on site so it was packed. Instead we opted for room service...it was wonderful...came earlier than promised and very tasty (margherita pizza and cesear salad).

Luckily had complimentary Internet service so we weren't impacted by the $17.95/day charge. However, there is also complimentary Internet in the Starbucks in the lobby. As a Priority Club member, we were also treated to a complimentary bottle of water (normally $7).

I can't say enough about this property and the staff and I will not hesitate to come back again. In addition...there seem to be several negative reviews about the pool being closed and guests being inconvenienced by having to go other places to swim. This proper is one of the most beautiful and historic and like all things must occasionally be refurbished. However, this temporary closure should not have come as a surprise to anyone as it is clearly mentioned on multiple areas of the hotel website. I can't wait to come back soon.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank suzd123
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Spent three nights in Chicago at this property. First of all, I have to say that it would be hard to imagine a better location as it is perfectly situated on the Magnificent Mile close to terrific restaurants, the Art Institute and Orchestra Hall. The hotel has two sides - the historic tower and a new wing. The rooms are larger on the historic side but generally are looking a little tired. This property needs to be renovated. Some observations:

The junior suite I had was laid out strangely. A small bedroom and smaller sitting room separated by a corridor off of which was the very large bathroom.

The mirror over the sink was not over the sink but skewed to the right - made shaving a challenge and messy.

While descending in the elevator one morning, it started shaking so violently that I could barely stand up. It stopped on the 11th floor and I was greeted by an extremely worried looking hotel employee who had a technician shut it down. (This experience was far more powerful than coffee in helping me wake up - an adrenaline rush certainly cures sleepiness!)

Reports from my group were of sinks stopped up, exposed bolts in rooms, and generally things not working.

Now the good news - the staff is terrific. They make you feel welcome, are personable, have their own personalities, great service in the bar and really went the extra distance to help. I wish they had a better property to work in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the historic tower for a larger space
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank John K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear John K,

Thank you for your compliments about our staff.
It is always nice to hear. I do however have some concerns about
your experience in the elevator and would like to discuss this with you
further. I have sent you a private message with more information.

Thanks again

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed at the Intercontinental recently on a business trip and was generally underwhelmed. The location is great, but the room I had was just average. The towels were surprisingly thin, which is something I don't expect in a quality hotel. The desktop computer screen may be useful for some guests, but I would have preferred to have the desk space to work on. The wireless is also ridiculously expensive, which amazes me when inexpensive chain hotels offer it for free. On a more positive note, I had dinner at the hotel one night and had the best crab cake I've ever had!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank OakPointers
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

OakPointers,

Thank you for your recent stay, and providing a candid review. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Intercontinental Chicago is a very nice hotel. Checking in was quick and efficient, the receptionist was warm and friendly. She gave me free breakfast coupons as soon as she found my information in the system. Although it is a little bit pricey, the quality and location of the hotel is worth the money.

The location for this hotel is just perfect. The Navy Pier is just straight down the street, shoppes and restaurants are within minutes of walking out of the hotel.

The only complaint that I had was that the pool was closed for an indefinite time. They suggested the option to go across the street to the Marriott for swimming but it is very inconvenient. Imagine walking out of the pool, out of the hotel and crossing the street in your swimming suit in downtown Chicago.

Other than that, the room was very clean, spacious and had a very good view of the Magnificent Mile. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors, the view of the Magnificent Mile is awesome.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business