“An all around great hotel!”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #66 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel has a great location, comfortable beds, and excellent service. It is clean and friendly and we would definitely come back.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a suite after booking on Hotwire and they didn't even charge us for the upgrade...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
InterContinental_CHI, Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

We thank you for your superb rating!

Reviewed 19 February 2012

For the life of me, I can not imagine why this is rated as a 4-4.5 star hotel. It is a nice property, and if stars were awarded solely for location, the Intercontinental would be tops. It was amazing to pull to the side of Michigan Ave. and hand the valet our key. The staff on the street were very motivated and friendly, and helped us into the lobby very courteously. But precisely at this point, the experience stopped being amazing.

The lobby is fairly mediocre with nice touches, but it is very small and there is no traffic pattern. At busy times, people checking in will get mixed into people waiting for concierge services. The front desk staff were nice, but not incredibly efficient or overly concerned with providing superior service. They were competent at best. The set-up of the concierge desk is very impersonal and the staff look and act simply like more front desk staff. The staff seemed to portray the same aloof, forced-interest in the customer that I had experienced at the front desk.

The room was even less impressive. It was at the end of a long and serpentine hallway, and the room directly across from it was both unmarked and had a door that look like it had been scratched open by wolves. I am not kidding. The door across the hall so damaged that it looked like it was in a neglected apartment building. Once in the room, it was small but reasonably appointed with two full size beds (I hadn't slept in a full size bed since high school) and a very small bathroom. Upon further inspection, the room had dust on the fixtures and wall hangings, stained duvets in the covers, and crumbs in the carpet near the walls. In the bathroom, the faucet fixture was missing the fake white pearl on the cold faucet leaving an exposed screw. The bathroom also featured two panels that looked like fuse boxes that were disturbingly loose against the wall.

All night long, there was something that sounded like a very loud shower that ran whenever the heat was on. I heard this sound whenever I was in the hallway on our floor. At times I also smelled a bad odor in our room throughout the night.

Finally, in terms of amenities, I can not figure out the 4.5 star rating in this hotel. I went out to get some ice and looked on my floor, plus the next two floors up from my floor. I then picked up the floor courtesy phone and asked where I could find some ice. I was told that the seventh floor was "the ice floor". Are you kidding? I did find two ice machines on the seventh floor. Again, they were very competent.

Everything is an up-charge, from $57 dollar/night parking (which is comparable but still MORE than most Chicago properties) to internet, in room services and more. Michael Jordan's restaurant and bar are nice, but I was referred to Walgreens to bring gelato up to my room. Really?

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jay B
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Hotel was über-average but the Oenology wine bar was an awesome experience. Would give that 5 BIG points. Totally sexy wines, presentation, education, pairings, tasting notes....loved it!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Susie,

We are excited to read about your 5 Star rating for Eno but we also want to ensure our hotel matches that rating. We would love to learn more about how we could enhance your stay in the future.

Please message me via Trip Advisor.

Best Regards,

Robert

Reviewed 17 February 2012

One of the most elegant hotel swimming pools I know. Great for lap swimmers. Good sauna and facilities as well.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for the 5 Star Review! Next time you visit, be sure to stop by the concierge desk to take the 15 minute audio tour on our i-pod shuffles. You'll learn more about the rich and interesting history of our pool!

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed here on business for 2 days last week. The reception area is nice and there is a Michael Jordan restaurant, which is always pretty decent. Staff were friendly and the rooms large, with more luxury items than some IC hotels ie bath robes. In room safe/TV/internet. Good beds. Location also good. The hotel is spread out a little, so cant be sure of all rooms. But overall have to say it was good.

Room Tip: not near an ice machine...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business