“Great Place near Mag Mile”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #90 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I've stayed in a lot of hotels near the Magnificent Mile area, Including this one previously. It was nice to be back and reminded me about the level of service that the Hyatt chain provides. Arrived mid-afternoon for a 1-day vacation in the city. It was great to get straight into the room with no waiting. Stayed int the West tower and had a lovely corner room on the 21st floor with a view down the street and into the Pritzker Pavillion and the Art Institute. Room was spacious and minibar was fully stocked... Bed was extremely comfy, TV was a new LED flatscreen and the bathroom was extremely spacious and modern. The good bar is in the East tower and is always great for (expensive) cocktails. Bell staff and Front Desk were very friendly. Very good location for all the downtown sights in Chicago.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (7,076)

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Just stayed here for St. Patrick's Day weekend. It was my second time staying at this hotel, but this stay was just as pleasant as 3 summers ago. The location is right on the Chicago River which on St. Paddy's Day weekend just happens to be a glowing bright green. If you haven't seen that before, you really need to check it out! I like that the rooms have 2 Queen beds instead of 2 Doubles like most hotels in the city. The bathroom is very nice and the bed was very comfy. This was a quick girls' weekend trip and we spent most of our time out exploring but when we were in the room we didn't feel like there wasn't enough space. If you can get the side with river views, that's even better, but like I said we didn't spend time in the room besides getting ready and sleeping so that wasn't a big deal for us. Another bonus was the ipod dock so we could have some tunes in the room, nice touch. We were in the last room at the end of the hall and even with a packed hotel and all the St. Paddy's Day revelry going on, our room was quiet once we were finally ready to sleep. This is a small detail but there is a desk as well as a wide tv console/dresser which meant lots of available space for us to have all our stuff lying around. We girls tend to bring too much haha ;-)
One thing to keep in mind is there are ice machines on every floor but not vending. So if you want a canned/bottled soft drink or water, you need to go to the lobby to get it (a kiosk open 24 hrs). No big deal, but just thought I'd mention it.

Room Tip: Ask for views of the river (facing North)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt for a 4-day conference in March 2012. Even though I got the “conference fee”, I ended up paying about $185 per night, which I found extraordinarily expensive, particularly because the price did not include any breakfast or wireless internet (for which I had to pay an extra $10 per day). Even though my room was nice and spacious and the river view was nice, the hotel did not even provide us with any but the very basic toiletries. Because they were too many conferences happening concurrently, there was too much noise and hassle. I felt cheated and will certainly never return to that hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Lupan3
Paul_Daly_151, Resident Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback, as it helps us in our goal of being your preferred hotel. I am delighted that you thought your room was nice and spacious, and you enjoyed your view. I hope you’ll reconsider and give us another try, as we work diligently to create a good value for you and I am certain we would be able to exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and what an amazing place to stay!
After an 8 hour flight we were ready for our room and a good drink. As soon as we entered the hotel we were blown away. We were met with wonderful, friendly and very efficient staff and we were checked in in no time. We had an amazing room on the 27th floor with a huge comfy bed, I struggle with sleep ( or lack of) so this was really beneficial and I got great sleep .Our room looked out over the lake and it was a great sunrise and sunset.
This hotel is in a perfect location close to Michigan avenue fab for shopping and it was a lovely walk when we went exploring all that Chicago has to offer.

I can not say anything bad about the hotel. The bar was busy but we weren't without a table for long! and the breakfast is a little pricey but worth it, best hotel breakfast I have had so no complaints.

If you need a good location, a good price and excellent hotel you need to stay here, we will certainly be staying there again!

What a fab hotel and wonderful staff working there! Cant wait to see you in the Fall!

This time I will be bringing my mum for a girlie holiday and leaving the husband at home, Sorry love!

Room Tip: Higher floors with a Lake view as the hotel holds lots of functions/ meetings
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I'll start this with a kudos...Karl at the front desk was friendly and helpful for a bleary-eyed traveler rolling in with the family at 2AM.

The kids were enamored by the lobby with the open air restaurant and a very cool bar area at the front. Also, they felt the pond and fountain were a nice touch. I thought the bathrooms were exceptionally clean. The room was fairly nice, relatively clean with comfortable beds...the only dirt I found was after I dropped something from the bed and noticed dust build-up on the carpet in the corners where a vaccuum can't reach. A small negative really.

I thought the rooms were worthy of the hotel's 4 star rating, but the elevator lobbies on each floor were kind of a drab grey.

Location was PERFECT. Right in the centre of all of the tourist attractions and right on the river.

Room Tip: We had an East facing room in the East tower and heard no hotel noise whatsoever. BUT, there is a f...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family