“Will be back, but only with my husband, not alone”
Review of Ruby Room

Ruby Room
Ranked #148 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 10 November 2011

First here are the things I loved about the Ruby Room: large room, comfortable bed, great shower, free wireless, Aveda products for bath and I LOVED the decor, shabby chic with a very open floor plan, large chandelier, fainting couch, original trim and floors. Great price for the room, verses the higher-end trendy hotels in Chicago. Really appreciated staying in a true neighborhood verses the tourist areas.

Things I did not like so much: I was pregnant, and it was my first stay here...I was unaware that my room would be up 3 very steep flights of stairs with no elevator, and no one to assist me with my bags.... Check-in time is during the day, so if you have a later flight, plan on driving around to look for parking (no parking at this hotel either), then stumble up the stairs with your bags... My room door did not lock and was not locked upon arrival, and the staff did not seem to think it was a big deal. When you are a female travelling solo, IT IS. Since the building is older, the water heater kept turning on throughout the night which did keep me awake.

Overall, I really wished that the hotel staff would have been more clear on the accommodations. I would not stay here again if travelling solo, but would with a friend or partner.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Wolfvision

Reviewed 2 November 2011

Wow, a real hidden gem. As a bloke, it felt a little strange staying above a beauty treatment establishment, but wow what a good decision. The best accommodation I've stayed in for a long while. Relaxation is the key, beautiful un-cluttered room, excellent bed and bedding and a steam shower that was perfect.

This is a B&B so you have to arrange a time to pick up keys etc, but you are not staying in someone's house where you may feel uncomfortable, this is much more like an apartment experience.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough, right in the heart of the wicker park area, close to the metro, surrounded by some of the most cool places to go with plenty of car parking on the side streets.

Don't waste your pennies on an expensive hotel in Chicago, stay here!

Note: Not that I wanted to watch TV, just to note there is no TV in the room. WiFi and a CD player was more than enough for me.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms with the steam shower! :-)
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank matt_from_nottingham
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I was in town for a conference, held at McCormick place. Rather than stay at a high rise, high priced hotel, I searched out B&B's. I came across Ruby Room on BedandBreakfasts.com. It is not a typical B&B, as there is no breakfast, but what you do get is a private room with bath (actually shower) and access to a kitchen and garden seating area (seasonal). I was going to be past their usual check in time (7pm due to the front desk actually being part of the full service spa next door). This was no problem, they have a plan for that. During my 4 night stay, I split my time between the hip neighbourhood and downtown which is a $12ish taxi ride away. The taxi to McCormick Place was usually $14-16. I took advantage of the yoga studio on the second floor of the hotel and did a drop in class, and I also had a massage at the spa. The bakery across the street makes a great tuna on croissant which I took to the conference(the food a McCormick is expensive and pedestrian). The bed was wonderful. I stayed in 3C which had no view. There is no tv but there is free wifi. Should I be ashamed to say that I used the wifi to watch tv? It goes against their philosophy, but hey I don't have cable at home. I occasionally heard other guests in the halls, and once the yoga class had on some loud music, but this was early evening. I guess some people get put off by not getting new towels everyday, but really do you do that at home? If you need a concierge and front desk and daily cleaning up after you, then it's not for you. I would definitely recommend it if you have a history of travel such as this.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem for you, ask for the 3rd floor--no elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Carol L
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I needed a room for a business trip to the downtown area (which was booked solid). Room was a surprise -- modern, clean, renovated bathroom. Fresh. Amazing bed -- really, one of the best I've ever been in -- soft, plump pillow, great linens. I took a shower at 9pm, and the water temp wasn't hot enough. Free wifi, Aveda products. Would have appreciated a bottle of water in the room, but there are glasses and a kitchen down the hall. Be sure to get here by 9pm -- their concierge closes then, and you don't want to be locked out. Concierge opens at 10am, so there is a key drop.

Room Tip: I got the last room available, and was still happy with it 3C looks into the windows of another buil...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Thalina
Reviewed 12 August 2010

As a frequent traveler to Chicago (and previous resident), I wanted to get away from touristy Michigan Ave. I chose this hotel simply for the location in Wicker Park.
It's very close to the train and and an easy trip from O'Hare. We had a great time at all of the local shops, bars & restaurants. It's also fun just walking the neighborhood streets. The locals are generally young hipsters and yuppies... which makes for a fun experience. It's only approx $12 for a taxi to downtown / Michigan Ave. Or you can take the Blue Line directly to downtown in about 15-20 minutes.

As for the hotel itself, the staff was very helpful and very polite & the guestroom bed was very comfortable. I might consider staying here again, but it would have to have a much better room rate and/or upgrades to the decor and service.

I would not recommend The Ruby Room to everyone for the following reasons:
- limited "reception desk" hours
- no daily cleaning services unless requested on a chalkboard outside your room
(we has to request fresh towels every morning)
- no elevator, all rooms are 3rd and 4th floor walk-ups
- decor was sparse & rather lack-luster (the lounge chair in our room was very dirty and stained)
- no dressers or drawers for storage
- window curtains where no frills & a bit annoying to open and close
- no views (at least from our room and presumably many of the others based on the floor plans)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple