“Surprising find in an out-of-the way place”

The Polo Inn Bridgeport U.S.A.
Ranked #181 of 9,882 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: USD 4 - USD 35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southwest Side
Description: Located 10-15 minutes SW of Chicago's downtown, chef-owner-innkeeper Dave Samber and his Staff continue to bring you "Something different... something wonderful!" through their excellence in hospitality. Whether it's Dinner on FRI or SAT, Lunch MON-FRI, or SAT/SUN's Brunch, you can count on delicious tastes and generous portions from the kitchen, and personal service from Adam and Rob in the 1914 candy store dining room. Host an event in our attached elegant Old Eagle Room (a renovated 102-year-old picture show) for up to 100 guests, or let us cater at your location; even stay for a weekend in the handsome bed and breakfast upstairs. Reservations are recommended; parking is complimentary. Now in our 32nd year, we offer our years of experience and commitment to bringing you back for more...nothing pretentious, priced right, totally Chicago!!
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I’ll acknowledge that our party really enjoyed our visit. The food was good, service friendly, décor more cute than stylish (we’re Chicagoans; we know Bridgeport used to be the home of mayors). Three of the four of us had excellent pasta dishes; my gnocchi was creamy and tasty. The fourth equally enjoyed her fish. The soup special was good although a bit over salted. A really nice touch was the free chocolate dipped strawberry. Yum! Even nice to have free parking.

But rated the no. 1 restaurant in the city? Nonsense. It’s nice, mid-priced, completely unexpected on a nondescript street in a nondescript neighborhood. But all the rating shows is the flaws in Trip Advisor’s rating system. I suppose most reviewers here give it an excellent rating because it’s so unexpected. But to compare it with some of this great dining city’s truly wonderful and outstanding restaurants is silly. If you’re in the area go there, enjoy it as we did. It’s way better than the typical off-center restaurant. But don’t expect truly five-star dining.

And note to any Trip Advisor staff that might be reading this: Please work on your rating algorithms and get yourself a decent statistician. Adding up the number of “excellent” ratings to characterize one restaurant (or hotel, site, or anything else) simply says this place is good. It provides no basis for comparing one place with others. It’s the same beef I have with your frequent ten best lists which often leave me scratching my head. I read the reviews to learn something about a place. The rankings are basically meaningless.

End of rant.

7  Thank mr-pinguini

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Must have in Chicago, this place has the great breakfast in town I need to travel 2880 kms to find a place where the food is awesome!!!!!
Locate in a beautiful district, the french toast is the most great platter that I have been eaten in long time.....
People for Mexico this is a must chicago place for breakfast!!!!!!!!

2  Thank luiscastanon
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Reasonably priced restaurant offering delectable food and drink. Had the specials there twice, both were pork dishes - tenderloin and port chops - the preparation and mixing of flavors both times was superb. Though I was served the wrong dish the first time i was there, they more than made up for it in apologies and discount, and a freebie after-dinner drink. Wait staff and owner are friendly and make you feel very welcome. Good ambiance and Bridgeport kitschy.

2  Thank DMMiaso
Reviewed 4 February 2012

There are really no great restaurants to dine at in the Bridgeport Area, all there is are a lot of fast food places, But if you want to get what you pay for, I recommend Polo Cafe, you can actually taste the freshness in what is served a little pricey, but i dont mind paying for food that taste good. and the wait staff are friendly and you get excellent service.

2  Thank donnav864
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We live almost 2 hours away from this restaurant, but we happened to be in the area yesterday scouting
a armoire at a local factory and my husband called to see if they were open. We arrived 1 hour before closing and were seated immediately for their Saturday brunch. I ordered 2 eggs, a side of sausage and potatoes. The eggs came with toast and a fruit cup. My husband ordered the Creme Brulee french toast, and my son had the buttermilk pancakes with a side of bacon. As a side, my husband ordered bacon, pototoes and a plate a grilled vegetables.

I always think it's ballsy when you walk into a restaurant and there are no condiments on the table (salt, catsup, pepper and olive oil at more upscale establishments). That's them basically saying, our food is so good, it doesn't need anything else. I can say with absolute certainty, it was true of this establishment. I always put pepper on my eggs, and it didn't need it. They were cooked perfectly with a light sprinkle of fresh herb that brought out so much flavor. The toast was light and perfect and still crispy when I finally got to it towards the end of my meal (a sign of fresh bread). The fruit cup was completely fresh. Sausage was cooked to a perfection, juicy with a crispy skin on the outside. Potatoes were amazing, and even though I asked for castsup, totallly didn't need it. My son loved the bacon and pancakes. Fresh made, tender. Not thoese stiff, dense cakes you get at other establishments. My husband insisted I try a bite of his Creme Brulee french toast towards the end of the meal. 15-20 minutes after it had come out, it was still crispy on the outside and moist and yummy on the inside. Not an easy feat. Fresh whipped creme, fruit, and a fig butter vodka syrup that I need to figure out how to make at home, because it was so amazing. I'm not into heavy sweets at breakfast, so you would never see me getting a cinnamon roll or pancakes with tons of sweet stuff like chocolate chips, but this was light and crispy and tasted so great. I could have eaten it for sure.

It's a small cafe with seating for maybe 35 or so tops. The decor and architecture of the room are a perfect match for the food. I'm a travel agent and I will definitely recommend people to this restaurant and bed and breakfast on site. Quaint, neighborhoodsy and CRAZY delicious. We were in the neighborhood on a fluke, but I know we will be back in a month or two again, just for this food. The nearly 2 hour drive is worth it.

1  Thank Natashan76