“Every Bite Delightful and Top Quality”
Review of Gioco

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: South Loop
Cross street: E 13th St.
Transit: Red line train
Description: Gioco pioneered the retail development of the South Loop when it opened in September of 1999. The restaurant has been a mainstay in the neighborhood as other restaurants and stores have opened up over the years. Gioco is located in an historic building built in 1890 and is one of the few remaining buildings in Chicago from that era. The Gioco space features the original old brick and plaster walls, an old wooden walk-in cooler and a walk-in safe built into the wall, used by the Chicago gangsters (Al Capone, Frank Nitti, George "Bugs" Moran and Earl "Hymie" Weiss ) for one of the gambling and/or brothel houses that dominated the area in the early 1900s. Designer Jerry Kleiner designed Gioco restaurant to retain these old world elements and to feature them in his modernization of the space.
Reviewed 12 April 2016

Service a little slow to start-- not crowded--so surprising-- but very cost atmosphere and once we got served some wine we were good to go. Started with perfect burrata cheese with perfect Puglia prosciutto, beef carpaccio with shaved Parmesan and a bit of arugula--best I have ever had outside of France; and a lovely crab cake special. Bread excellent. Then, the John Dory fish special, perfectly cooked, the eggplant melanzane--appetizer portion--light and not breaded, and a fillet mignon perfectly cooked and the pasta? Tortellini with ricotta, sage and spinach in a very light sauce-- heavenly--homemade, perfectly cooked. Dessert very good chocolate bomb cake and ice cream and underwhelming tiramisu. Would definitely go back.......soon.

1  Thank Terese C

Reviewed 5 April 2016 via mobile

Had a wonderful beet salad and vegetarian pizza, and pears in wine. Absolutely yummy! In a quaint old building from the mid-1800s brick fresco. Absolutely charming and excellent service.

Reviewed 4 April 2016 via mobile

Superb wait staff and large , diverse menu and wine list. Authentic. One of my new favorite restaurants. Apps, entrees, desserts all superb.

Reviewed 4 April 2016 via mobile

Very good starters. Gorgonzola, burrata, Caesar - all excellent. Pizzas, salmon and the halibut were tremendous. Pasta was delicious.

Service was not great. Disengaged. Hanging around the tv at times. Not sure if they were uninterested, lazy or indifferent. Either way - I'd expect the service meets the food quality.

1  Thank Mike54BU
Reviewed 16 March 2016

I am Italian and I was travelling to Chicago for business, so I decided to have dinner at an Italian restaurant. Gioco was close to the hotel and was suggested to me by the receptonist. I must admit that when I travel abroad I am a bit biased against how the Italian cuisine is "interpreted" outside Italy and I usually prefer to eat local food.
In this case, however, I found the food very...familiar to me. I had a grilled beef fillet with roasted potatoes and spinach, and an apple cake for dessert. I had Italian red wine. everything was really good and I enjoyed it. The least enjoyable thing was the bill...almost 80 Dollars, including the tip, looks a bit expensive to me.