“This location has issues”

Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria
Ranked #86 of 10,826 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: USD 5 - USD 10
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I grew up in Chicagoland. I've eaten my fair share of deep dish pizza. I consider myself a fan of the Lou Malnati's chain. But, the deep dish we got at the 805 S State St location was severely lacking. The crust was as high as only about half the pan. There was not much cheese and the dough wasn't nice and puffy on the bottom like usual. Lou's deep dish done right: 5 stars. Deep dish at this location: 2, if that.

Date of visit: April 2018
LouMalnatis, Public Relations Manager at Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience while dining in with us over the weekend. If you're open to it, our management team would love to speak with you about this more directly. Please click the link to fill out the corresponding information and our management team will be in contact with you. Again, thank you for your feedback and we greatly appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We are looking forward to hearing from you. http://bit.ly/LousCrew

Write a ReviewReviews (2,053)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Had just gotten into town for the week and decided pizza would be a great way to start the week. Fortunately Lou Malnati’s was a short walk from our hotel so that’s where we went. There was a wait, but you can preorder to speed up the process so we did. When the pizza came it was absolutely amazing. The crust and sauce were probably the best I have ever put in my mouth. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Was a bit surprised when this was recommended to be one of the best authentic deep dish pizza spots in Chicago, just because it was a chain. Was pleasantly surprised all around. Everything tasted fresh, and not processed. Would recommend having a salad while you wait for the pizza, they were delicious.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I had all sorts of pizzas, from Italian to fast food to pan pizza. But I have to say, Deep dish at LOU has been one of my top experiences.

I recently visited during the WACO volleyball tournament, so there was a huge line up. It took almost 1 hour to have a seat ready, but during national events, I can not penalize the restaurant for this.

The pizza was really well done. The tomato sauce overflowed, the cheese was thick, the meat was delicious and the crust finished it off.

If you plan on visiting Chicago, Please do yourself a favor, and grab a slice of pie here.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We had pizza here, wasn't as good as Giordano's. Service seemed to be very slow and there was quite alot of tables open.

Date of visit: April 2018

Been to Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria? Share your experiences!