“An excellent experience”

Ranked #108 of 10,075 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: USD 5 - USD 30
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Description: Considered the oldest family name in Chicago pizza, Lou Malnati's is as rich in history as its deep dish pizza is in flavor. We use only the freshest and finest ingredients to craft each pizza by hand. Come try our legendary deep dish pizza with our famous Buttercrust. You won’t be disappointed! Our South Loop location offers dine in, carry out, delivery, and catering!
Reviewed 7 June 2016

Our son had picked this restaurant as his birthday treat. We were not disappointed. While there was a short wait time the staff were very efficient and managed well. The 2 small children in our party were well catered for and the food was up to expectation.

Date of visit: May 2016
Write a reviewReviews (2,320)

Reviewed 4 June 2016

We decided to go to Lou Malnati's since it was near our hotel and we wanted to try Chicago's deep dish pizza. The wait was pretty long, but it was worth the time. I've never liked deep dish at home because it was all thick bread crust. This was not anything like that. The crust was not too thick and the deep dish was filled with lots of toppings. They had a good selection of beers and wine. Service was good.

Reviewed 2 June 2016

Fantastic pizza, even better service, well worth the 30 minute wait for a table.
Ordered the The Malnati Chicago Classic per our servers recommendation and then we were talked into getting the chocolate chip pizza by him, he did not steer us wrong on either.
Quick tip, put your name in and then slide into Jimmy Green's bar and try their pineapple Moscow Mule, one of the better ones we have had.

Reviewed 2 June 2016

We stopped by for dinner on a week night by 5:30 pm or so and the restaurant was packed by 6:00 pm. The menu offered a variety of selections for deep dish pizza, salads, etc. The waitress was very friendly and offered suggestions for my family to try. We were told the pizza would take about a half hour to prepare and serve. The portions were decent sized as well. The salad was fresh. It was a nice conclusion of the day after a visit to Grant Park and the Museum Campus. The restaurant location is convenient also since it was close to the "L" trains.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

So, I've been to another Lou Malnati's before and had a fine dinner at the other location. We went here instead of Giordano's because our hotel has a "thing" going with Lou's. We got a coupon from our concierge for free bruscetta or a free dessert. More on that later.

We showed up and there was a wait. The hostess said 25 minutes and she was right on the nose. That was impressive. You can pre-order your pizza, which is a great feature assuming the whole process works as it should. More on that later.

So, we sit down. Party of 3. Our waitress was absent I have no idea what she was doing. My wife and I are always very courteous to wait staff, so it's not like we did anything to "warrant" poor service. I gave her the coupon for the free bruscetta right when we sat down because I don't think you should "spring" those on your waiter. It was delivered minutes before our pizza (50 minutes later) and only after I asked her when it might be coming out. When we sat down, she told us that pre-ordering the pizza (which we did) meant that it would be out in 15 to 20 minutes. It came out 50 minutes later and was warm--not remotely hot. My water glass was never refilled the whole time we sat and waited for our food. My wife, who had a beer, was never asked for a refill. Thank goodness for our busboy! He was the best part of the experience! When we needed a paper towel, he was on the spot! He was the one who asked us if we wanted to pack stuff up to-go and he was lightening fast with the containers. If I had cash on me, I'd have tipped him big!

The food was fine, though not hot by the time it got to us. Other tables in the restaurant didn't seem to be having the problem we had with our server, so who knows why this went so wrong.

So, one great meal at Lou's. One bad experience at Lou's. Tough to call.