“Old friends sneaking away from convention!!”
Review of Erie Cafe

Erie Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Erie Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #552 of 10,211 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: USD 31 - USD 40
Good for: Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: N. Larrabee St.
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

So 10 of us old friends were getting away from a convention to have dinner and celebrate a birthday. Local member of our group recommended it. We were seated outside with great service and even better food. Awesome setting to enjoy fine food with friends. Although I can't believe that they ran out of Caymus, but the switch to Frogs Leap was just as good. Portions are HUGE! Go for the Garbage Salad but ask them to "chop" it. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

I met some friend for dinner, and as usual the cocktails were good. For the three of us we shared a whitefish and chicken that were more than ample, after the house salads and cottage fries. I think the place is an Old throwback to the back of Boston where the politcos and psuedo celebs used to hang out. While the service, portions and quality of food are good, there are so many other restaurant options that I say WHY go there?

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

We attended a milestone birthday party for a friend and were delighted to discover the Erie Cafe! The weather was perfect on the charming outdoor dining patio which is located on the riverfront. Our servers were attentive and kept the wine, drinks and food flowing for our party of 20.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

A wonderful experience! For those of you who read my reviews, you know i have severe food allergies, so how comfortable i feel in a reataurant and how accomodating the establishment is are always key points for me.
When we arrived, they placed the bread basket on the table.. Which had a mix of breads.. And i mentioned my allergies, sesame being one of them.. Before i could blink, the server removed the bread basket and promptly replaced it with bread i could enjoy safely.
I was reassured that they pay close attention to cross contamination.. And they would cook my meal separately.. and so i was able to enjoy my delicious meal.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

Chicago is a great town for steak and steakhouses. In fact, I'll bet you could enjoy a 5-star meal at a different steakhouse every night of the month and still have several several left over on your bucket list. My wife and I have dined at all of the top-rated steakhouses, the brand names. But there are so many you haven't heard of. One probably is Erie Cafe. Located a 536 West Erie Street in the River North neighborhood, overlooking the North Branch of the Chicago River, it opened in 1994 and has been brilliantly redesigned and renovated by the Lenzi family, who previously worked at Gene and Georgetti's. With room for 380 in the spacious dining room and up to 200 in the elegant private banquet room that includes a bar, wood dance floor and wood-burning fireplace and from 50 to 200 on the outdoor dining area between May 1 and November 1, Erie Cafe is fast becoming a popular destination for people who cater to prime meats and seafood. The venue is classical with cedar ceilings and exposed brick walls with new wood paneling accented by original impressionist oil paintings and large picture windows. The menu covers all bases. Steaks and chops? Try veal chop or pork chops or lamb chops or broiled bone-in ribeye or T-bone or broiled filet mignon or broiled strip loin or prime rib of beef. Seafood? Try whitefish or salmon or Chilean sea bass or French fried shrimp or grilled shrimp or Australian lobster tail. Pasta? Does anyone dislike spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna or home-made ravioli with meat sauce? House specialties include veal scaloppini, limone and marsala, chicken Vesuvio and boneless chicken breast parmigiana. For dessert, you can't go wrong with tiramisu, key lime pie, chocolate buttercream cake, chocolate lava cake a la mode, fruit sorbet or even a root beer float. Erie Cafe offers a classic steakhouse atmosphere with an anything-you-could-ask-for menu and friendly, attentive service that is designed to provide customers with a thoroughly enjoyable fine dining experience.

Been to Erie Cafe? Share your experiences!