“Vegan comfort food”

Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

I recently committed to a vegan diet and going out to eat has proved to be a challenge. This place is heaven for vegans looking for menu options beyond salad. So many delicious comfort foods- everything from appetizers, main dishes, and dessert. And many of the options that are vegetarian can easily be made vegan upon request.

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Visiting from PHX and stopped by this joint. Even non-vegans in the group loved their entrees. Delicious and affordable. Street parking only so that can be a beast...but worth it.

I had the vegan chili cheese fries, buffalo 'chicken' wrap, and funfetti cake. SO much food but I wanted to pack it in!

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I could not have asked for a better dinner while getting to see my girlfriend's sister for the evening.

Started off with the Vegan Nachos (French Fries FYI) that were warm, cheesy and toasty.

My girlfriend and her sister both had the fried avocado tacos and they were.. TUHH DIE FOR! So So Good!

I got the Chicago Tofu Sandwich with some chili and it was yummy, nothing over the top!

We split the Funfetti (very large piece of cake) three ways. Way too much to tackle by one or even two people.

Split the check three ways. Great service, good food and a good time.

Definitely recommend getting there early and sitting out back if you get the chance!

Good stuff handlebar!

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

Had lunch. Very tasty vegetarian meal.would return. Prompt service, food well cooked. Just off bus line.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

We went to Handlebar for breakfast on our way from arriving at Chicago O'Hare Airport. What a great decision! Oh my goodness, this place is amazing in every area! The host was friendly, helpful, and just had a great energy. We sat in the back patio since it was a warm and sunny April morning and started with the refreshing hibiscus lemonades. We shared the Country-fried Portobella mushroom w/blackened tofu over a generous bed of real mashed potatoes and collards smothered in a lick-your-fingers seitan-sausage gravy. We also had a half biscuit and gravy. We cleaned the plates and returned the next day. My husband ordered the same thing and I got the shrimp and grits. So so good all over again plus friendly patrons. We will definitely visit Handlebar again anytime we are in Chicago! Yum, yum, and yum...