“Seriously... OMG!”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Illinois
Transit: Red Line - Grand Avenue
Description: Frontera Grill serves authentic Mexican Food in a fun, casual & relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Literally, just rolled ourselves back from a most exquisite dinner at Frontera Grilll! It was exceptional in every way - food, service, and vibe.

From the moment we went into the restaurant, we were met with the nicest wait staff! Our own waiter, David G was superb and really helped make our experience that much more special, patiently reviewing the menu with us (not your typical run of the mill Mexican fare - this menu is super creative) offering great tips. There wasn’t anything that we ordered that didn’t sing with texture, presentation, and most importantly - heavenly flavor. Order times were prompt, courses came out relatively quickly, and we were checked in on several times. Top notch service without being overbearing or rushed. David was even kind enough to go get my daughter a sample of mole sauce to satisfy her curiousity.

I can highly recommend everything we had! For starters we had the specitos rancheros and the Guacomole chef special. The entrees were Duck Breast, The Feature fish and the charne Asada brava. We ordered sides of cauliflower poblano crema (oh my goodness!!) and black beans with plantains - yummmmmmy! Sides were not really necessary - just were gluttons and wanted to try everything! For dessert - (so full, but HAD TO DO IT!) we had the flan duo and the dos, tres, cuatro cake - just do it!

My youngest child ordered from the kids menu, which was very inexpensive and offered interesting items and gianormous portions, especially for kids.

If you haven’t gleaned it by now, we LOVED Frontera Grill! It left such an impact, that it is sure to be one of the top memorable meals of my life, and if I could, I would return again and again - just be sure to make that reservation! For the quality and quantity and overall experience, I truly did not feel this was over the top expensive, but instead worth every single penny!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,983)

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Frontera Grill on the night we went was a lively place, bouncing with energy, filled with conversation and delectable smells, and inviting us in to take a gustatory journey. Many mouthfuls later, we were “panza llena, corazon contento” (full belly, happy heart). The dishes are crafted in a way that you feel as if you could have been there when your grandmother made them. The ceviche trio is divine. Sopecitos were delicious. The three meat taco plate was hearty and the cebollitas and guacamole were excellent sides. If you are not drinking alcohol, the cucumber mint agua is a perfect complement to the meal.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Took forever to get a reservation, but boy was the wait worth it! The Mexican food was fresh and delicious! Very authentic (not Tex-mex). The portions were spot on! Oh, and the flan!! There is always room for flan!

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Someone so passianate about mexican food has really presented the public with some tasty, exciting bursts of flavor in all his dishesd. If you can get in, go.... tourist or local, a must experience for anyone interested in exploring the cuciene deeper.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

My brother made us reservations here because he is a huge fan of Rick Bayless. At first I wasn’t sure, we checked out the website and I didn’t know if would be something I’d really like. Seriously, it was amazing. They had the Bajio Style Eggs, I had the Gorditas De Chicharron, and my other half had the Pork Carnitas Enchiladas. We were so full, but fell subject to desert. Lime Chest Tart and the homemade ice cream was so good!! Everyone was so friendly, the atmosphere is great, and the food is delicious.