“Excellent location for long weekend”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #22 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed at the Amalfi from Friday evening through Monday morning. Room was very, very clean. The king room was very spacious & the bathroom was large. Our room faced Kinzie & we did not notice much street noise other than the occasional siren or car horn. Very close to public transport - 5 minute walk to the red line station, convenient bus stops within a few minutes' walk. We did the parking package and had no issues with the valet service. WiFi worked very well. Hotel was within walking distance of shopping & many restaurants. Contintental breakfast was convenient since it was on each floor. Staff were very friendly, as they always greeted us as we went in & out & often inquired how our stay was going. Would highly recommend if you are looking for an affordable hotel (by Chicago standards) in a convenient location.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community! We’re happy to know were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and walk to the many nearby attractions in our backyard! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback about our rooms and team and will be sure to pass on your kind comments! Thank you again for your recommendation. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Cordially,

Reviewed 24 February 2012

A great hotel in Chicago central that is convenient to shopping, restaurants and theaters. The staff was friendly and helpful. Especially nice is the continental breakfast located on each floor; no fighting the crowds for your croissant.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My stay at the Amalfi Hotel was a great experience. This hotel scored high in my book for everything a hotel should be. A wonderful central location - a few minutes walk to the magnificent mile, great restaurants, Millenium park and an El stop. The staff was extremely friendy and polite and more importantly, helpful and knowledgeable about the city. The rooms and bathrooms are clean, attractive and very comfortable. After these basics it's the additional extra touches that make this hotel really stand out. The extensive continental breakfast was one of the better I've come across and was always kept fresh, stocked and tidy. During the day you will find a beverage and delicious cookies in the lobby. In the early evening a lounge serving light hors d'oeuvres with an open, well stocked bar was a nice surprise! Dual shower heads in the bathrooms, a computer set up in lobby to access airline info and print your own boarding passes, later check out time.....all for a great price. Great value for your money at the Amalfi! I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay there again when I return to Chicago.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The Amalfi features all the things the business traveler needs...comfortable bed, a clean and quiet room, double-headed shower, bathrobe, etc., but it adds a host of very friendly faces and gracious touches to add to the experience. Paul, or one of his colleagues, will great you in the lobby with genuine warmth. Extraordinary cookies in the afternoon, free drinks in the evening, and a very lovely continental breakfast in the morning make a business trip feel more like a vacation.
I used to select a different hotel every time I visited Chicago. Now that I have found the Amalfi, however, I'm making it my only Chicago hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor! We’re honored to hear that we have become your favorite Chicago hotel. I’m delighted that you enjoy all of our complimentary amenities such as our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. Thank you for your kind words about our team; we’ll be sure to pass them on, especially to Paul. We truly appreciate your gracious review and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed in the Amalfi in July 2010, 4th of July weekend.

I was very apprehensive about leaving my Diesel Ford Excursion with the valet at Amalfi. It has a few modifications to the engine and can be damaged if not operated correctly. I explained the procedure to the valet drivers, and felt like it was a complete waste of time.

When the vehicle was returned to me the valet driver did not let it idle down and cool the turbo off as I had instructed. When I tried to start it, it wasn't happy, but did finally start. I was so relieved to get it back I just wanted to leave.

Driving away I noticed that the top speed recorded on the GPS was 105mph!!! (previous top speed was 95mph, done a few days earlier driving across South Dakota). I could just picture the flying Ferrari scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I couldn't imagine where in the crowded Chicago traffic they found a place to go that fast, though it wouldn't take long to make that happen (see reference to modified engine above).

A little while later we stopped for lunch and I noticed a dent in the front bumper. I contacted the hotel and was referred to their claims people. No remedy.

Lesson learned.

Brett

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Brett D

Dear Brett,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Your comments are very important to us in maintaining the quality of service that we deliver. I apologize for the unfortunate incident with your car.

Like most hotels in Chicago, we use a third-party contractor for our valet services and therefore any claims or disputes must go directly through their claims department. I would be happy to personally follow up with the valet company to get an update on your claim and will be contacting you directly regarding this situation.

Cordially,