“A Gem of a Hotel in Downtown Chicago”

Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #58 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“A Gem of a Hotel in Downtown Chicago”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

My wife and I spent a long weekend mini-vacation at this fine Hotel and we were delighted with the friendliness of the staff, comfort of the room and the ideal location. I have stayed at a number of Hotels over the years and the Courtyard Marriott on Ontario Street is one of the nicest places I have stayed. This is a great value and one of the best Marriott Properties in the US.

The Front Desk staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome and provided helpful suggestions of things to do a restaurant choices.

I recommend this property for fun or business.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North are quiet with a great view.
3 Thank Mott3604
Director_of_Sales_CY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Thank you for your short and sweet review! We are glad you found our hotel staff to be friendly and helpful and the rooms to be comfortable. We are glad you enjoyed our location; it is perfect place to stay for shopping, dining, and site seeing. We will definitely pass along your nice comments about our front desk staff. We work hard to exceed guest expectations. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to host your next stay in Chicago!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Booked a room with two queen beds, along with the valet parking special, for Sunday September 2. Found the hotel with ease, and pulled up to the curb directly in front.

I was greeted at the door, and again at the front desk. I had noted in my reservation it was my Wife's birthday; the front desk gal wished her a happy birthday (nice touch). I arrived a couple of hours before check-in time, so my room was not ready. I was offered a different room option, or I could wait until my room was ready. Not a problem; I knew I was early, and I appreciated the alternate option. The front desk had our luggage checked, took down my cell number, and called within an hour to let me know our room was ready.

Great location. Less than a block from Michigan Avenue shopping, and a very doable walk to Navy Pier for those in healthy walking condition (5 to 6 city blocks). Starbucks on site; Viand restaurant on site; Dunkin Donuts just down the street. 7-Eleven, and multiple restaurants within walking distance. We didn't have time to check out the fitness center or pool.

Hotel and rooms are of modern decor, and the room was surprisingly large compared to the closets I've stayed in while in Chicago. No noise other than the occasional slamming hotel room door. Beds and pillows were comfortable. Front desk greeted us each and every time we returned to the hotel.

On site parking cost was comparable to any other hotel in Chicago, and the "valet parking special" with tip was comparable to the self parking rate. The valet attendant was friendly, opened our doors for us, and loaded our luggage in the trunk.

No question about it. I'll stay here the next time I visit the Michigan Ave / Navy Pier area. It's clear the management has set the bar high for above average, friendly customer service. Well done.

P.S. I didn't get to meet the famous Neil, so I guess he was enjoying some time off!

1 Thank BakerBN
Thank you for your wonderful compliments. We hope your wife had a great birthday in Chicago. We are glad you were able to enjoy our great location that offers shopping, restaurants, and local attractions all within steps of our hotel. We thank you for your kind thoughts about our staff and valet team. Come visit us again soon!
Safety Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2012

As a Platinum, I know what to expect in terms of rooms at the Marriott brands. Assuming they get that right (which they did), about the only way for a hotel to exceed or fail to meet expectations is with interactions with their staff.
We checked in and mentioned it was our 30th anniversary, which was greeted with a friendly "congratulations!". That was all I needed to hear.
That night, we hit the town and upon returning, found a basket of chilled mini-champagnes and strawberries. Needless to say, this was unexpected - it was just the perfect nightcap to an all-around excellent stay.

Great hotel with a great staff!

2 Thank kwisp
Director_of_Sales_CY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you for your loyalty and thoughtful comments. As a Platinum rewards member you so richly deserve to be treated on such a special occasion. We are grateful we could host such a special day and wish you the best. Congratulations! We hope to see you again soon!
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My entire stay was wonderful. Front desk, room service, the accommodations, housekeeping – all were excellent. My expereince at this property was beyond my expectations. The location is perfect - only a few steps from the Magnificent mile and close to lots of good restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Roxann C
Thank you for your positive feedback. We work hard to exceed guest expectations and it is wonderful to hear your stay was beyond. We really enjoy the Magnificent Mile; between the shopping, attractions, and restaurants it is really hard to beat our fabulous location. We are glad you had an excellent stay at the Courtyard. We hope to host your next trip to Chicago!
Lake Orion, Michigan
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The staff at this hotel are wonderful! In all areas of the hotel - reception, restaurant, valet and housekeeping -the service was fabulous! It really made our stay.
I stayed her for two nights with my 14 and 10 year old. The room itself was nice as expected at the Courtyard. It's not luxurious but certainly clean and spacious. The restaurant food was OK and I would recommend ordering breakfast from the menu rather than the buffet. (Better yet, check out nearby West Egg Cafe -- busy and somewhat chaotic but delicious and worth the wait.)
The hotel location is phenomenal because it's close to the magnificent mile and navy pier. We bought a one-day unlimited ride pass for the bus/el and it worked out that we could go anywhere we wanted with ease.
Parking is expensive here. Idk the going rate in the city for overnight parking but I think there has to be somewhere less costly. The other downside of the hotel is the pool. For kids it was super small. It was busy (5 otther kids) and crowded. Oh and no in-room safe which was disappointing.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at this Courtyard.

Room Tip: Pool is on the 10th floor so I would stay away from this floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Rdy2CtheWorld_10
Thank you for sharing your positive comments. We will be sure to share your warm and friendly thoughts with our whole staff. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and found our guest rooms to be clean and spacious. We couldn’t agree with you more, our location is phenomenal. Our hotel is located in the center of Michigan Avenue, next door to Garrett’s Popcorn, and walking distance of Navy Pier. The CTA system is very convenient, considering there are multiple stops just steps outside our front door. We are so glad to hear your stay was enjoyable and look forward to your next visit to Chicago!