“My preferred business hotel in the city”

Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop
Ranked #94 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've stayed at many hotels across the city and I prefer this one because it's a little outside of the action, yet very short walk to great restaurants/pubs and right next to grocery store and pharmacy. Walkable to Union Station and Willis Tower, but cab to lakeside or Michigan Ave. People who make negative comments probably rarely travel and have no comparison. I only wish they would upgrade there fitness center....

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop

Reviewed 9 February 2012

My husband and I arrived at The Crowne Plaza Metro after a 20 hour train ride at 11:00AM, obviously the first thing we wanted to do was take a shower, but since check in is at 3PM we didn't think we had a chance. Luckily our room was ready and we were able to check in. James brought our bags to our room and even got us an upgrade on our room because of the length of our stay {Let's just say we are Priority Platinum member now for the next couple of years}. I recommend applying for Prority rewards- If you are a member you get a free drink voucher, so why not! Plus you quickly add points which earns you free nights stay at any Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn.
comfortable. We had two balconies which faced the Wills Tower. Our room was very large. It had a sitting area with flat screen TV, pull out bed couch and desk and a separate bedroom area with another flat screen TV. There is a coffee machine, Iron, hair dryer and a safe in the room. The bedding is very plush, soft andower. Amazing how you open the balcony door and the raucous buzz of the city invades, but close it and it's quite peaceful. There is also free Internet in your room.
The staff here is great. They are very friendly, nice and always want to help your stay in Chicago be it's best. On Wednesdays they host a Wine and Cheese party hosted by two of the staff members. This allows the staff to really get to mingle with the guests and answer any questions they may have.
The location is excellent. The blue line train is a couple of blocks away and only cost $2.50 to get to the airport, if you decide to take a cab that is about $40. The hotel is in Greek Town, so there's plenty to do there and plenty of restaurants to eat at. If you do not feel like leaving the hotel Dine is a great place to go. You can either sit in the dining room, that has a fancy menu or sit at the bar which has a bar menu. If you like IPAs my husband loved the local beer Daisy Cutter which they have on tap.
If you are planing to see a taping of the Rosie show or attend a game at the United Center- this hotel is perfect for you.
There is no pool, but the exercise room was clean and nice.
I would stay here again with no hesitation and I will definitely recommend it to my friends and family. The price of the rooms are an excellent value for all of the amenities and location.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank danielle F
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The bed was so firm and uncomfortable that I was not able to sleep!! Also they over charged my credit card by 60 dollars. I had to spend 20 minutes getting my money back to my credit card. The service people were unhelpful and rude. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone; well maybe if you don’t want any sleep and you want to be over charged than go for it!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank merri s
bfishmetro, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Thank you for providing feedback to us on your recent stay. It is always our goal to provide an exceptional experience and great service to all customers. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the service staff regarding your hotel charges. Our customer service training focuses on creating immediate solutions to guest complaints and I apologize that we did not meet this standard in your case. I have reviewed your comments with the entire management team and we are committed to making this right for you. We have sent you a private response requesting the opportunity to speak with you directly and I am hopeful that you would consider giving the hotel another chance to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to providing exceptional service and product.

Norm Theoret
(312) 602-2111

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Overall this was a nice hotel and the parking package made it a steal (Only ten dollars more for a 35 dollar valet parking). Though I would caution if you are looking to get a good nights sleep before a big interview. I had a professional school interview the next morning, and I barely got any sleep with how noisy it was.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Blake F
rsheltonChicago, Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Dear Blake F,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our "Nice Hotel with a Great Parking Package......". We want to thank you for the feedback because we strive continuously to have a hotel for our guest to enjoy with great experiences when they stay with us. We will be including your comments into our ongoing Service Improvement program so that we can continuously improve our levels of services. We are very sorry about the noise levels here at our hotel. It is an area of opportunity that we continue to address to because we want to ensure our guests have a quiet and excellent stay. We welcome the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future so that you can continue to experience the exceptional level of service that you come to expect from the Crowne Plaza Hotel brand.

Thank you again for your feedback, and if I can be of any service to you or if you should have any questions, please feel free to contract me directly at 312.829.5000, ext. 2038.

Ron Shelton, MBA CHA
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Just getting ready to check out of this property as I write this review.

Very happy overall with my stay here.

- Hotel was very easy to find off of 90/94, Exit 51D.
- Room was very comfortable and quiet with a nice little balcony allowing for a view of the Sears Tower.
- Doormen and staff were very hospitable and friendly.
- Really like the business center which I am currently using.
- Shower in the room was unique and very nice!

Downers:

- Got Room Service this morning for breakfast. I realize it wasn't going to be cheap, but $3 for a 4 ounce yogurt? C'mon man!

Overall great place to stay and will come back again!

PS -- Make sure to check out Carmichael's Steakhouse on Monroe St -- about a half mile walk. Pricey but nice atmosphere and a free shuttle to United Center.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank CHRIS B
rsheltonChicago, Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear seabass872,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our hotel being a "Nice place to stay in Chicago". We want to thank you for the feedback because we strive continuously to have our hotel positioned as a nice place to stay for our guests when they stay with us. We will include your comments into our ongoing Service Improvement program so that we can continuously improve our levels of services. We will also celebrate your comments with our staff members so they can celebrate your previous stay. We want you to know our travelers' feedback is very important to our staff. We welcome the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future so that you can continue to experience the exceptional level of service that you come to expect from the Crowne Plaza Hotel brand.

Ron Shelton, MBA CHA