“No longer offering tours in Chicago”

Chicago Savvy Tours
Ranked #92 of 213 Tours in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Chicago Savvy Tours offers a variety of fascinating tours that uncover Chicago's history from an architectural perspective. Specialties include Frank Lloyd, Mies van der Rohe, and the Chicago School of Architecture. Public, private, and group tours available year round by foot and bus.
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We've been planning a trip to Chicago for almost a year and had planned to use Chicago Savvy Tours - specifically George Pudleaux for a private tour of FLW properties based on the reviews in TA. After months of sending e-mails to George -- with no responses -- we finally received a response from him that he has decided to move his tourism business to Los Angeles and will not be offering tours in Chicago any more. Since we did not get to actually take a tour with George -- this review is based on our attempt to contact him for about 6 months to plan our trip and tour -- and also to let others know that he won't be offering tours of FLW in Chicago any more. Now we are back to the drawing board for our trip . . .

7  Thank daybreak1

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We booked a private time with Savvy Tours of the northern part of Chicago and the Frank Lloyd Wright properties. As there was only three of us - me, my husband and George Pudlo, the Director of the company - we got all the information we could want. Yes, this is more expansive than a group tour but George told all kinds of stories about FLW's life, his family, his architecture and the various women in his life. George is a an expert on FLW. We got out of the vehicle a couple of times to do walk abouts. I must say that the Bahai's temple is amazing. While not FLW architecture, it is truly magnifiicent and I could see why George included it in the trip.

George will be a hotel concierge this winter. He was well placed to give us recommendations for a future trip on hotels, restaurants and other places to see and things to do. We had such a good time and got to seem more of FLW's work, including the only bridge he ever designed. I would go back on this tour just to refresh on all the information.

If you go on the north tour, be ready to see some really wonderful homes, great lake views and samples of FLW's amazing talent. George is a great tour host!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Don't miss Savvy's tour that includes the Rookery, The Unity Temple, and Oak Park. Outstanding...made even more so by our great guide, George, who was very knowledgeable and never dull. The bus was comfortable and it was just the right combination of walking and riding. I can't imagine going to Oak Park without a guide; you would miss all sorts of wonderful bits of info. Nice pace, lots of time for photos. Well worth the $$.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

My Mum and I had a lovely tour this morning with George from Chicago Savvy Tours. We booked him as a tour guide to take us on a three hour guided tour of a number of FLW properties including the Robie House and the Rookery. We booked him based solely on reports from other TA members and it did not disappoint. George is a delightful young man who knows a lot about FLW; he was on time, unfailingly polite helping my elderly mother in and out of the car in the pouring rain and very knowledgeable. We took the FLW tour of Chicago and saw a number of FLW properties that FLW created while moonlighting as well as the other more famous sites. He also showed us other celebrity homes such as President Obama's house! He picked us up from our hotel on time to the minute and dropped us off afterwards. Since we did not have a car and we spent all day yesterday walking around Oak Park, it was really nice to be taken around Chicago in such style and with someone who shared our love of FLW and his creative genius. Thank you George for making my Mum's 81st birthday special!

1  Thank mwooduk
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is a very odd sort of tour and it isn't cheap. You are escorted by a docent to all sorts of places that don't really have any connection, so it is sort of scattered all over the place and at the end you don't even end at the place you have started. It needs to be more structured and have some flow to it. Although the guide knew important information, there was very little connection to facts and dates. It is about 2 hours and it is a walking tour with stairs involved. I assumed we would be going underground into some tunnel-like labyrinth, but really the only part of the tour like that is just going down to the pedway level. Big deal! I can do that all on my own! The docent for our tour was 40 minutes late and it totally wasn't worth waiting. I would recommend choosing another tour of architecture in the city which seems to be much more relevant.