“Mainstream Hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Chicago Getaway Hostel
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Mainstream Hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

The location is great, the decor and rooms are top notch - this is more a hotel than a hostel. The only drawback is that very fact. In a hostel you expect a bit more sharing, bit more queuing for the toaster, perhaps chatting with the new people who just got in and maybe take part in some drinking games there and then in the hostel. This isnt the case with the Getaway. Not as much interaction despite the common rooms, especially for a single traveller or couple from another country. There are posters advertising various events , but these inevitably take place in some sort of local bar, rather than in front of the tv.
Definitely worth going to though. Major tip - there is a brilliant little deli-shop that sells almost everything you can imagine. Try the chocolate dessert - blows your mind.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have stayed here twice already, but it has taken me some time to get on here and write a review. I am a business man, and I am always looking for a getaway any chance I can get. And also I am a single night-owl who loves to let loose every chance I can get.

In November of 2011, my friend me a glowing recommendation for this hostel, and to be honest I was not really sure about a hostel. But I gave it a try because I was really REALLY needing a couple of days away, and I couldn't afford much. But what I discovered when I walked in was beyond my wildest expectations! It was a very clean, organized, PROFESSIONAL, and friendly place. All four of these qualities are very important for me when it comes to any lodging, and most places have all but forgotten these concepts for the sake of higher profits. What this place does is attain to all those while the prices stay down, and I like that, especially in Chicago where everything is so expensive.

Another thing was the concept of sharing a room with six other people from different countries, which I will admit kind of petrified me at first, but making new friends was beyond easy to do and I got along real well, especially since the staff doesn't let a lot of wildness happen. A lot of the people I met became my drinking buddies that night... particularly since that night a darling lady took us all to a blues club, which brings me to the night owl part. I stayed there two nights, but they provide fun for all seven. Every night it's something. It's like the United Nations at the hostel but the nicest people are there. If you want to be alone, there are so many things to do surrounding the hostel and the staff is a bunch of know-it-alls when it comes to what to do in Chicago, to which I rejoiced. I WANT know-it-alls and not just some idiot in the front desk watching TV and responding to questions with "uh i dunno"

It was just as good as the first when I returned in January. And I also plan on coming back next month for St. Patrick's Day. And the staff will also know that this is the place I plan to stay every time I come to Chicago for one of my "getaways"... keep up the wonderful work and I shall see you all real soon!

Room Tip: bottom bunk... especially if your like me and like to keep with the ground, if you know what i mean
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

the hostel itself was awesome.the staff was superfriendly, the rooms were spacious, clean and comfortabe.there was a small but nice breakfast each morning and everyday there were activities everyone could join.
the only downpart was that the next metro and busstop is a little further away but the way downtown is not that long once your in the train.
I would totally recommend the getaway hostel because of the athmosphere and the extremely friendly staff!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank lauraincal
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Hi lauraincal:

Thanks for the great review of Chicago Getaway Hostel! We take great pride in providing a quality experience in Chicago and in our hostel. We look forward to welcoming you back again, but this time with all of your friends.

Take care,

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

The Chicago Getaway Hostel is truly a lovely place. My best friend and I stayed for 3 nights in June while visiting a friend in Chicago. The neighborhood is beautiful, and the hostel is less than 10 minutes from the train. In the summer you can walk to the beach as well.
The hostel itself is incredibly clean and attractive. The age range of the guests was a very nice mix. They offer an excellent breakfast with outdoor space for the warm months. The (very friendly) staff hosts activities daily for anyone unfamiliar with Chicago or the neighborhood. Free Wifi, clean showers, comfortable beds; we had no complaints. This is definitely a step above other hostels and budget hotels I've visited. If you are staying in Chicago on a budget or just want to stay in a place guaranteed to be clean and welcoming, I absolutely recommend the Getaway.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank g1i1n1y3
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear g1i1n1y3:

Thanks for taking the time to review our top-rated Chicago Getaway Hostel! We're glad you enjoyed your stay back in June and had the opportunity to experience Lincoln Park to it's fullest. We work hard to not only meet your expectations, but continually exceed them.

Thanks for the opportunity to have accommodated you this past summer. We hope to see you again soon!

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

You get what you pay for. Very good value for the money and a lot better than sleeping at the bus station!

Room Tip: in dorm, try for a lower bunk.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Greetings 540bluemoon777:

Thanks for taking the opportunity to review your stay of Chicago Getaway Hostel. We're glad that we could accommodate you and save you the misfortune of sleeping at the bus station. We take our hostel very seriously and work hard to provide a great stay.

We hope if given the chance, you'd stay with us again. We look forward to hosting you in the future, and if requested... will make sure to have a bottom bunk for you!