My top priorities for the hotel I chose for our three nights in Chicago were comfort, breakfast, and parking included for an appropriate rate. I've stayed at one other Sofitel before (Manila) and loved it, so this was my first consideration. The available rates were slightly less than my two other choices (the Peninsula and the Waldor Astoria- WA had an Auto Show special rate that was super cheap), but when I called the hotel directly, they gave me the breakfast and parking package because I asked for a deal and part of my stay did qualify for that package. Also, I believe we were upgraded to the next room category free of charge. Awesome value.
LOCATION: It was ideal; it was easy to find, and there were plenty of places to eat within walking distance, as well as a nice little grocery store on the same block just around the corner. Plus, our view from the 22nd floor was very nice!
SERVICE: Every person we encountered was very friendly and courteous, and if applicable, very helpful. The only person that disappointed me was the man that checked us out- we didn't receive the 2nd breakfast credit each day (which was $20/person), but the bill that I received wasn't detailed enough to show that. I simply told him that I didn't know why our bill was over $60 more than it should have been. He was unable to find the error, and since I was holding up the line of people checking out, I resigned myself to call back that evening when they may be less busy. I did over-pay upon check out, but the man I spoke with that evening was able to correct the mistake and refund me the difference. To his credit, though, the man who checked us out did show quite a bit of patience for what must have just looked like a young woman who wanted to get out of part of her bill.
ROOM: Our room was a little weird since it was in the corner of a triangular building. It could have been a little bigger. The bathroom area was fairly large though. The bed was very comfortable, but after three nights, my back was a little sore from how soft it was. My husband was fine, though. It was also one of the least noisy places we've stayed in, especially considering its location. The toiletries were nice- L'Occitane verbena shampoo, conditioner, etc, as well as nail files, bath loofah, and emergency sewing kit.
FOOD: The breakfasts were fantastic, especially since we were given the credit for the full American breakfast regardless of what we ordered. I had the brioche French toast, which was very good, and the Maine lobster omelette was ridiculous. It had a whole lobster claw (without the shell) on top, and more lobster in it than many tails I've had! My husband had the lingonberry waffles, which were exquisite, and the super-fluffy buttermilk pancakes. Our last morning we ordered room service breakfast and both had the delicious apple-cinnamon crepes. The spreads were simply amazing. We were served French pressed coffee, unlimited juice, and had a basket of croissants (regular, raisin, AND chocolate, as well as some baguette rolls) along with our breakfasts. The bacon was awesome too. I would definitely recommend the bacon!
BAR: The bar was decent. It was definitely upscale, but nothing stood out about it. I enjoyed the champagne flight while my husband enjoyed their large selection of Scotch. The apps were a good value- relatively inexpensive yet good quality.
Overall, I felt our stay was an exceptional value. Unless I decide to spend a fair bit more on our next visit, I will surely book this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile bids you welcome with world-class downtown Chicago hotel accommodations - minutes from Michigan Avenue, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Art Institute, and trendy boutiques. Designed by the French architect Jean-Paul Viguier, our downtown Chicago Illinois hotel is a 32-floor prism of glass, boasting 415 rooms, including 33 luxurious suites. Embrace modern design and rich architectural legacy at this luxury hotel in downtown Chicago, Illinois. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Agoda, lastminute.com.au, Odigeo and Wotif.com so you can book your Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Chicago Water Tower Hotel Chicago
- Sofitel Chicago Water Hotel
- Sofitel Water Tower Hotel Chicago
- Chicago Sofitel