“Great value with Breakfast/Parking package” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #21 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
“Great value with Breakfast/Parking package”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My top priorities for the hotel I chose for our three nights in Chicago were comfort, breakfast, and parking included for an appropriate rate. I've stayed at one other Sofitel before (Manila) and loved it, so this was my first consideration. The available rates were slightly less than my two other choices (the Peninsula and the Waldor Astoria- WA had an Auto Show special rate that was super cheap), but when I called the hotel directly, they gave me the breakfast and parking package because I asked for a deal and part of my stay did qualify for that package. Also, I believe we were upgraded to the next room category free of charge. Awesome value.

LOCATION: It was ideal; it was easy to find, and there were plenty of places to eat within walking distance, as well as a nice little grocery store on the same block just around the corner. Plus, our view from the 22nd floor was very nice!

SERVICE: Every person we encountered was very friendly and courteous, and if applicable, very helpful. The only person that disappointed me was the man that checked us out- we didn't receive the 2nd breakfast credit each day (which was $20/person), but the bill that I received wasn't detailed enough to show that. I simply told him that I didn't know why our bill was over $60 more than it should have been. He was unable to find the error, and since I was holding up the line of people checking out, I resigned myself to call back that evening when they may be less busy. I did over-pay upon check out, but the man I spoke with that evening was able to correct the mistake and refund me the difference. To his credit, though, the man who checked us out did show quite a bit of patience for what must have just looked like a young woman who wanted to get out of part of her bill.

ROOM: Our room was a little weird since it was in the corner of a triangular building. It could have been a little bigger. The bathroom area was fairly large though. The bed was very comfortable, but after three nights, my back was a little sore from how soft it was. My husband was fine, though. It was also one of the least noisy places we've stayed in, especially considering its location. The toiletries were nice- L'Occitane verbena shampoo, conditioner, etc, as well as nail files, bath loofah, and emergency sewing kit.

FOOD: The breakfasts were fantastic, especially since we were given the credit for the full American breakfast regardless of what we ordered. I had the brioche French toast, which was very good, and the Maine lobster omelette was ridiculous. It had a whole lobster claw (without the shell) on top, and more lobster in it than many tails I've had! My husband had the lingonberry waffles, which were exquisite, and the super-fluffy buttermilk pancakes. Our last morning we ordered room service breakfast and both had the delicious apple-cinnamon crepes. The spreads were simply amazing. We were served French pressed coffee, unlimited juice, and had a basket of croissants (regular, raisin, AND chocolate, as well as some baguette rolls) along with our breakfasts. The bacon was awesome too. I would definitely recommend the bacon!

BAR: The bar was decent. It was definitely upscale, but nothing stood out about it. I enjoyed the champagne flight while my husband enjoyed their large selection of Scotch. The apps were a good value- relatively inexpensive yet good quality.

Overall, I felt our stay was an exceptional value. Unless I decide to spend a fair bit more on our next visit, I will surely book this hotel again.

2 Thank Lumpajay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have been doing a bit of business in Chicago lately, and I stumbled upon the Sofitel through Expedia, which I use quite frequently.

There is very little that I would say is "fantastic" here, but there is little that I would say is anywhere below "very good". The rooms are clean, the beds very comfortable, the area is convenient and fun, the restaurant is very good, and overall the service is very good also.

I was a little surprised that I saw it was #9 in Chicago... however, bang for your buck? MIght we way up there.

Overall? Have never had a bad experience in a half a dozen stays now.

Room Tip: I have always seemed to get high rooms, and it is quiet there away from the noise of the street, so...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PassportAlwaysOnHand
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

From the second we checked in I knew this hotel was going to be amazing. The staff (Adam) was very nice and even wished me a happy birthday. Our room was on the 18th floor and it was awesome. VERY clean and the bathroom was huge and bright. I am very picky and was amazed at how nice our room was. We had a package deal that included parking ($54.00 a night) and breakfast at Cafe Des Architecte. I highly recommend this hotel and the restaurant. The staff in the restaurant couldn't have been nicer. They were packed and we still were not rushed or anything. I hope I get a chance to go back!!!!

1 Thank Kristine72
dayton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our first anniversary, honeymoon, his bday, and Valentine's Day in a long weekend in Chicago, and wanted a luxury hotel that wouldn't break the bank. We arrived from Ohio on the train at 10:00am. We were greeted at the front desk and were told that we were given a complimentary upgrade to the Prestige Suite, which we were able to check into right away. This was on the 29th floor, a corner room. We were also the guests of the day, and so received tickets for two free cocktails in Le Bar or Cafe Des Architechs. We did purchase the Haute Cuisine package, which included breakfast in the restaurant, and one free dinner. The bar and restaurant staff made us feel like we were the only patrons there! The food and wines were to die for, and the decor was chic yet comfortable. The views from the room were breathtaking! We did not tire of walking out of our room and seeing the skyline, day and night! how the building is setup, you can stand at the window and look down OVER your feet to the ground. The bed was sooo comfy, the bathroom huge and clean, the turn down service was nice, as were the salted caramel chocolates as our welcome gift on the first night.Would give this hotel a 6 or 10 rating if I was able!!

Room Tip: Corner suite- Prestige Suite-upper floor, offered panoramic view of the city AND lake.
1 Thank ihatebdbgs
Providence
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Mainly agree with the more positive reviews here.

Liked:

o The location, particularly. The neighborhood is loaded with stunning architecture (of course the Sofitel's own building is pretty stunning), and there are many terrific places to eat, drink, get coffee.

o The view was beautiful, and I was only on the 18th floor.

o The service was attentive but not fawning or intrusive (I generally don't like the staff to pay a huge amount of attention to me, but opening the doors and a smile as I walk by are nice).

Not quite perfect:

o The separate bath is nice, but the tub is on the small side. If you can't spare the space for a separate shower without shrinking the tub, just stick with the combined shower/tub!

o The room is very nice, but not large.

o Le Bar was very pleasant, but the wine selection was nothing special.

To be clear: all of these features were still good; but some of them would have had to be excellent to tip my rating to 5*. I would say, though, that this is a high 4*.

Room Tip: Just the obvious: higher floors are better.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business