“Stunning Property - Unprecedented Service”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #104 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Twin Cities, Minnesota, United States
“Stunning Property - Unprecedented Service”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I've always loved W properties - they're always unique, funky and fabulous and W City Center was no exception. What a great place to stay for a romantic weekend get away! Laurelin reached out to me before our trip - just the great kind of service that's unexpected but gives the stay an added great touch. The location was perfect for our needs - walking distance to Milennium Park, State Street Shopping, Miracle Mile. And, it wasn't their fault it was FREEZING out. Service from pulling up with the car through our departure was excellent. The room was clean, nice and the linens were superb. Great stay! Oh, this was a personal trip, but definitely would stay for business in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have stayed here only twice for work but Laurelin, one of the concierges, has made me feel like I've stayed here 100 times. The staff warmly greeted me, immediately looked for the best possible room, and even provided me with some complimentary beverages. Prior to my arrival, Laurelin even reached out to me via email to see if I needed any restaurant recommendations.

Great service like this is so hard to find but I'm glad I found it at the W in the loop when I visit Chicago.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I booked a room at the W Chicago City Center to celebrate my birthday with my girlfriends. Laurelin had emailed me amd asked me if I was celebrating anything special and if she could do anything for me. I told her it was my birthday and that we needed a ride set up to the House Of Blues at 6pm. Not only did she set up our ride, she put us on the vip list for the Foundation Room. When they had trouble finding my name on their list, TK called them to confirm us and we got right in. The room was very, very clean, and the bathroom was very spacious, which was great for a bunch of girls getting ready for a night out. This hotel and its staff went above and beyond my expectations!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is like a traditional W hotel's attractive, quieter, hard-to-get-to-know sister.

The W City Center is still a bit of an enigma to me and I have stayed there several times. The first time I booked this hotel, I was surprised by its location, but drawn in by the name, I made the reservation and hoped for the best. Honestly, it is not as bad as some of the SPG hotels that I have stayed in, but it doesn't have the redeeming qualities of the other Ws.

The thing about a typical W hotel is that beyond all of the pretentiousness is excellent service and cleanliness. This W has the cleanliness, but none of the excellent service. Most of the service I got boarded on you-are-interrupting-me-checking-into-foursquare-under-the-table looks and uninformed service on the phones.

They usually have better pricing than the other Ws, but you won't get the benefits that come with the extra dollars. By "extras", I mean basic customer service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Erica319
WChicagoCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Hello Erica,

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and your feedback form your recent stays at the W Chicago City Center. Please know that although I was disappointed to learn of your experience I appreciate your feedback as it will allow us to improve. We strive to deliver impeccable service and empower our talent members to go above and beyond to wow our guests; I am sorry to know that this has not been the case in your stays and will be following up with our team.

Erica, hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the near future. Please don’t hesitate to contact me direct in the future.

Kind regards,

Alejandra Romero, Director of Operations
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We recently spent a birthday celebration night for my wife at the hotel and had a fantastic stay. Laurelin went over and above the normal level of service you would expect. Or room was perfect with a nice view, comfortable bed, quiet heat and A/C and no disturbances. We were within walking distance of the Art Museum and our chosen dinner spot (the Berghoff), so the day and night were very low stress and enjoyable. Laurelin had a nice card and a few other surprises ready for my wife when we arrived, which made it all the more special.

Thanks to the W and especially Laurelin.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple