“Yum! Goat meat!!”

Ranked #1,152 of 10,169 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: Southwest Side
Description: We are a family-owned restaurant specializing in Birria Tatemada (oven-roasted goat). We are located 5 minutes north of Midway airport.
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

I happened to pick this place looking for something different for lunch. I try to find the funky local places with different kinds of local cuisine. I already hit a couple of the local “Chicago style” pizza places so had that Chicago thing covered. Since there is such a big Latin community where I was doing business, I figured there would be some good Mexico style eats here. I picked the right spot! Birrieria Zaragoza specializes in dishes made from their own home grown goats. If you have never tried goat meat, this is the place to expand your horizons! The meat is cooked until it is fall apart tender. The flavor is very nice on its own, but they serve it in a delicious consommé. And of course tortillas on the side, that they make to order! So good! You get very fresh chopped cilantro and green onion, white onions, and fresh lime on the side, and your choice of hot or mild homemade salsa. They have other stuff on the menu, but it looks like the only meat here is goat meat. The horchata is amazing, and so is the flan! I travel a lot, and like to experiment with what I eat when I’m on the road. This place it a place to try! English speaking is limited! But don’t worry if you don’t speak Espanol, you will get by,and your experience will be worth your coming here

Birrieria Z, Owner at Birrieria Zaragoza, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Thanks Mark for visiting us! Glad you enjoyed the Birria. Please visit us the next time you are in the neighborhood.

Norma Zaragoza

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

We have been here twice and the only difference is that I think the prices went up? Like a taco cost 3 dollars however they are delicious and they pack your tacos there like burritos! The tortilla is soft and warm not de harina but maíz. They give you enough Salas's and lemons and cilantro and onions in their containers. We had to take em to go! But this restaurant was on Netflix for their yummiest tacos and yep... the first time I ever took a bite I actually teared up! Maybe it was that time of that month coming up but so so good! This is making me hungry now!!!!!

Reviewed 10 May 2017

Best Birria I have had in Chicago - better than anywhere in Pilsen.

Excellent Birria - make sure to get the consomme and the roasted salsa. House made super fresh tortillas. It is impeccably clean. If you are in the neighborhood you have very few other options. Try it!

1  Thank Vera W
Reviewed 27 April 2017

One of the real gems in the city. Awesome goat tacos; the meat is perfectly done, and the tortillas are excellent.

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Well worth the trip! Excellent food. Tender delicious meat. Unbeatable handmade/homemade corn tortillas. I'm usually a flour tortilla man, but these were excellent. Also I'm a amateur that likes sour cream and cheese on my tacos. They don't have sour cream. Honestly you don't need it. It would hide too much of the perfect tasting meat. You need to ask for cheese. The staff is the friendliest welcoming group of people I've come across in the city. Family owned and they make you feel like family. I can't recommend this any more strongly!

Been to Birrieria Zaragoza? Share your experiences!