“Sleek hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 186 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Sleek hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I booked this through Booking.com - it has the feel of a sleek boutique hotel. The staff were friendly and nice. The room was modern and clean. I did not use any other facilities such as gym. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
Bowling Green, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

The staff here is great. By the 2nd day it's like a small family and everyone knows your name from desk staff to the doorman they are all great. We stayed at the ritz on our last trip to Chicago and other than location (a few blocks from mm) I like this place just as much or more. If I was going to complain about anything AT&T doesn't work in the hotel they should look into a repeater

• Stayed April 2012
West Hollywood, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stay at Klimpton Hotels all the time. The Epic in Miami and the Alexis in Seattle are unbelievable properties. This, in my experience, was not.

It's not that the hotel was bad. The room was large, well decorated, clean and well appointed. The Internet was fast, the staff was friendly and tried to be helpful, and the New York Times was waiting by my door in the morning. And the price was competitive. Indeed, after American Airlines lost my luggage (though they prefer the term "delayed," as evidently luggage, like a child, is not "lost" until several days pass, though I digress), the hotel provided me with free toiletries. These are all good things.

However, remember that lost bag? I had to call American Airlines 1.800 number repeatedly to find my luggage, which I kind of needed. The hotel charged me $1.00 for each call. Which, I mean, it's a dollar, but really? Then, the concierge told me that the hotel would call me when the airline delivered my bag. What great service. Only, I did not get a call. Not a problem. When I called the hotel to see if the bag had arrived, the lady at the front desk remembered my name, also good service, and insisted that the bag had not arrived. Which led to 45 minutes more on the phone with American Airlines who swore up and down that my bag was delivered. It turns out, it was, the hotel placed it in a back room, did not call me and told me that it had not arrived when it had. Which, I mean, I don't know, maybe I'm nitpicking. It's the service I would expect from a Marriott or a DoubleTree. But a hotel that is purportedly in the top 25 of all hotels on TripAdvisor? Not even close. Nor, really, was the property or its location anything all that special. And when I have to hail my own cabs every time I leave the property? This hotel is fine, but as a disturbingly frequent business traveler, this hotel is no place to right home about, either.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank therlp
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear therlp:

Thank you for your recent review. As a senior TA reviewer, you clearly travel a lot and write a lot of reviews, which are always interesting to read.

We are truly sorry we did not live up to your expectations. It seems like the majority of issues you had at our hotel revolved around lost baggage from American Airlines. I do apologize that there seemed to be a mix up with our staff member in regards to where the bag was once it was delivered to the hotel. I know we are actively investigating what happened. I am sure without that one sanfu before you even arrived at the hotel you may have had a better overall experience.

Once again, we apologize and hope that we can restore your faith in our hotel in the future.

Respectfully,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

After a wonderful experience celebrating my husband's birthday at Palomar Chicago in January, I came back for a girls' trip to celebrate my best friend's birthday this week. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but this trip was even better than the one in January. This time when I made the reservation I thought to include a note that we were celebrating a birthday on Tuesday, and we arrived to a bottle of champagne and a personal note in the room. It was such a nice touch, and drinking (free!) champagne while watching "Bridesmaids" on HBO and getting ready for a fun night out will always be a great memory from my friend's 30th birthday. As with all of my prior Kimpton stays, every staff member we encountered was very down-to-earth and super friendly without seeming disingenuous. Beds were amazing, in-room breakfast was fresh, hot, and right on time, and the location of this hotel can't be beat. I also love the little Kimpton touches like the wine hour, free wifi and minibar credit for members, and the option of traveling with my dog! Thanks to my flawless stays at Palomar Chicago, Eventi in New York, and Lorien in Alexandria, I always check for a Kimpton hotel first when I'm planning a trip to a new city. Chicago is a quick drive for us, so I'm looking forward to many more stays at Palomar in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Corinne382
Dear Corinne382:

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel and for being a repeat guest. We truly appreciate your business.

I am so glad you had a fabulous girls weekend in Chicago. We hope to host you and your friends again soon.

All the best,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

The hotel is smaller than I expected, but does have a very stylish decor, the desk staff was stiff but adequate (many ho-hum personalities....even the concierge was a drag!....go figure?) although i must add that the bellmen, and doormen went out of their way to make us feel welcome. valet service was very frenzied,awkward and small (about the size of a two car parking space) yet they seemed able to get the car to us without major delay. they have a very nice sitting area where many people seemed to "hang" throughout the day.it had a beautiful fireplace where they served a free daily wine hour. they normally serve one white and one red selection, they also serve a very miniscule hors d'oeuvres that unfortunately does not seem to make it all the way around the room, so don't go hungry!!...lol..There is a beautiful restaurant and bar attached to the hotel that seemed to be very popular, the food was decent, not outstanding and somewhat pricey for what you recieved. we ordered room service twice, only because we recieved a meal credit when our room had not been cleaned after being away for 8-10 hours!!!! otherwise we would have never eaten on the property. at check-in they give you a $10 credit to apply towards a selection from the mini-bar. Initially, i was impressed with the room, we had two double queen beds, and a small sitting area, floor to ceiling windows with beautiful curtains,a flatscreen and many decorative touches. But, each day it went downhill,the first night there we received turn down service, our room was tidied up, robes were set out, bed turned down with chocolates on the pillows...etc. it was great! we stayed for 4 nights and never received that level of service again!!!!??? in fact we were looked over twice by housekeeping during our stay???!!! manager we spoke with was helpful but she was devoid of personality, (i don't know if these people like their jobs), when they did come to clean we left the room for a short while, i dropped some crumbs on the floor just to see if they would vacuum because i couldn't tell if they were doing it...guess what? still there after two days!!!? at over $200 per night that is just unacceptable!!!! my husband and i felt that we wasted our money staying here!!! we've paid much less and had better service at many other hotels in chicago!!! the fixtures are stylish but seem cheaply made. The bedframe was made from a veneered mdf material that had very sharp dangerous pointed corners (be careful!!!) I banged my shin in the same spot no less than five times during our stay!!!!! i'm no Klutz but i couldn't seem to avoid that darn corner!! the bathroom was adequate but small, two people cannot be in there at the same time and it did not have a real door,only a sliding veneered wood panel (uck) so theres limited privacy in the bathroom. we visited the pool, it was very beautiful with cool lighting at night, but when we stepped in it was freezing cold!!! that would be okay now, but in early march at night the the temp outside was below 50 degrees and so was the pool!!! this was so unwelcoming, and to make matters worse the water was somewhat murky with a weird smell!!!??? (uck) the workout facility was basic and underwhelming.overall this hotel is a letdown. needless to say i would not spend my hard earned money to stay here again, in fact i stayed 5 more nights in chicago at a better hotel for under one hundred a night, I booked it thru a discount site the last night of my stay @ the palomar and it was awesome. tip:don't be fooled by the bells and whistles, if you do decide to stay here ask for a corner room on a high floor for the best view and most quiet.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room on a high floor for the best view and most quiet. also ask for king bed if ava...