“Great Stay!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Room was perfect, rate was very reasonable, great location, staff was so friendly. Fridge was not chilling so maintenance not only replaced it w/in 5 minutes, they gave us free drinks w/o requests. This hotel is about friendly customer service!!

• Stayed: February 2012
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear rarhode:

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you wrote. I am glad we were able to fix the fridge so quickly for you.

We look forward to your return to the Palomar Chicago.

All the best,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago

Reviewed 23 February 2012

My fiance and I are getting married in Chicago in September, and stayed at the Palomar over President's Day weekend while we took care of wedding business. I can not say enough great things about this property (but I'll try to limit my review to the highlights):

1. The staff - I emailed the management a few weeks before our stay to request a room on a high floor. Not only did they accomodate us, but they also upgraded our room to a FANTASTIC suite and had the room ready for my 10am arrival. They also sent my fiance and I a bottle of sparkling wine on the evening of our anniversary.

2. The room - Out of control awesome...floor to ceiling windows, seperate sitting area with a couch and comfy chair, great bed, huge closets, and the best tub I've ever seen (seriously...it fit two comfortably and could probably have fit five somewhat awkwardly). I would also recommend becoming a Kimpton In-Touch member - the service is free and it provides you with ammenities like a newspaper in the morning, pillow menu, free Wi-Fi, and a $10 raid the mini bar credit.

3. The restaurant - Excellent food and a drink menu that could astound even the most seasoned drinker (which I am certainly not). I loved the half portion option. My fiance and I wanted to try a few things, so ordered five small plates which will all great. I highly recommend the Short Rib Sliders!

4. Location - 15 minute walk to Hancock Tower, 15 minute walk to Millenium Park, and an inexpensive cab ride to pretty much anywhere. Perfect.

...so in case you're still unsure about staying here...BOOK IT NOW, thank me later. We'll be reserving a block of rooms for our wedding weekend, and know that our guests will be very well taken care of!

Room Tip: Email the managment before your stay!
1  Thank Rory0110
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I chose The Palomar for a long weekend (February 17-20). I made reservations online and made a note that we would be celebrating our Anniversary and coming from out of town (We live in Denver). Upon arrival the staff member who checked us in wished us "Happy Anniversary" and was very polite and helpful. When we arrived at our room there was a nice note from the manager of the hotel along with a bottle of champagne to celebrate our special occasion. What a wonderful touch!!

I can't think of one negative thing about this hotel or the hotel staff. Staff members went out of their way to help us and were always smiling!! The room was great - ask for a high floor - the city view is wonderful!! The location is great - perfect walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and more! We didn't eat at Sable, but we did stop in for a cocktail - AMAZING!

Thank you Hotel Palomar for a wonderful trip, we'll be back soon!!

Room Tip: High floors have a great view!
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I was perfectly pleased with my stay at the Palomar Chicago. The hotel is stylish without being too modern. The rooms were nicely appointed, although the beds were just a bit soft (but I like a firm mattress so this would not be a big issue for most people).

The bar in the hotel is very hip and crowded on the weekends, and the gym is actually reasonably well-equipped, but there are only 6-8 cardio machines, so they get filled quickly. The pool is rather small, and more of a dipping pool than a swimming pool. The concierge was pretty good, but they were not super helpful

A few quibbles....it took a while for the water in the shower to get hot in the mornings, and the bathrooms are a bit smallish. Also, there are only 2 elevators for the hotel floors, which can make for a slow wait at peak times.

Overall...this was a very solid choice, and I would not mind going back again, however I think that the 5-star ratings that many people have been giving the property may be somewhat inflated.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We chose the Palomar based on the Trip Advisor review and the location in downtown Chicago. We are totally sold on the Palomar and Kimpton Hotels! The front desk personnel were professional, friendly and helpful. The interior of the hotel has an art deco feel and the room was very nicely appointed. Our room was a nice size and very comfortable. We upgraded to a city view and were lucky to have been given a corner room. We had breakfast at Sable, which was very good, but a bit pricey. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade for minimal extra charge