2,633 results
All reviews no tipping policy house car elysian hotel luxury suite gas fireplace bathroom mirror the gold coast room service wet bar soaking tub beautiful hotel four seasons living room steam room bottle of champagne rush street turn down service
Reviewed 14 December 2010

From the moment you set foot into the Elysian hotel, you feel surrounded by luxury, both in terms of the design/decor and the very accommodating staff. My husband and I recently spent one night here and I would happily return. We stayed in a Classic King room which was very spacious and tastefully appointed. The bathroom has a nice soaking tub plus a stand-alone shower and plenty of vanity space, complete with TVs built into the mirrors--very cool. Our room had a small wet bar including a microwave and spacious freezer/refrigerator--bigger than most you find in hotels. The room itself was really nice--again, very spacious and had a desk, flat screen TV, sitting area with a comfy chair and a large closet with drawers. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we were treated to yummy cookies from the turn-down service when we returned from our night out.

We took advantage of the bar, one of the restaurants and the health club during our stay. I was slightly disappointed in the health club. The amount of equipment is more than sufficient with five treadmills, three ellipticals, bikes, plus weight machines, free weights, etc.--but it felt crammed. There wasn't really any open floor space for stretching. Also, don't mistake this for a hotel gym that guests don't use. When we got there early on a Sunday morning all five of the treadmills plus one of the ellipticals were already being used.

We had an after-dinner cocktail at Bernard's (the bar) and found the service to be a bit slow and the prices to be a bit high, but it was convenient to not have to leave the hotel given the cold, rainy weather. And in their defense, the bar was packed. It's got a warm, cozy vibe going on but it felt a lot like a typical hotel bar to me--nothing special. We brunched at Balsan and found the prices to be a bit much, again, for what it was. The food was very good--I had poached eggs with prosciutto on grilled sourdough and it was really rich, delicious and satisfying--but that said we still found the bill to be a bit excessive for brunch, especially when it didn't involve mimosas or bloody marys!

The service was great. We didn't have any special requests while we were there nor did we need to leverage the concierge, but all of the staff seemed very helpful, attentive and eager to please. We never had to wait for a taxi and the staff graciously escorted us to the vehicles with umbrellas. Also, they were able to accommodate our early check-in request with no problem.

Reviewed 12 December 2010

I went to Chicago for two nights of "me" time (I am a stay-at-home-mom with two small children). I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton and the Trump on past visits, but liked the reviews the Elysian got so I tried it. The lovely tucked-away courtyard was a lovely surprise upon arrival. My room was ready before noon. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room was LOVELY. The only complaints were the view (essentially a brick wall), and the hallway was HOT. Like nursing home hot. My AC was on all night as a result (I like to sleep at 65 degrees). I had lunch in Balsan -- fabulous. I used the fitness center (they had REFORMER PILATES machines!!!) I ordered room service: prompt and good. Had a drink in the bar: cozy. All in all a wonderful break.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 December 2010

This past weekend, my husband and I stayed at Elysian Hotel in downtown Chicago. The hotel is located on East Walton, and is quite close to Oak Street, the Magnificent Mile, and State Street. It's also located a short distance from the highway, so it's a fairly simple process to get in and out if you're driving.

We actually chose Elysian because we were shopping for a bed and Elysian is a partner hotel for Chicago Luxury Beds, offering a few rooms with VI-Spring beds, so you can try out the bed for a night or two before making a purchase. While we didn't fall in love with the bed (it was slightly too firm for us and we ended up going with a Hastens instead; FYI, most of the Elysian rooms have regular mattresses), we absolutely adored the hotel.

Elysian is the place you dream about when you wish for a hotel where the top priority is impeccable service. The staff take wonderful care of you to the point where you don't even have to move the revolving door yourself. And they won't accept tips, either, something that's slightly awkward when you initially try handing some cash to your bellman, only to be refused.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we checked out, my husband and I experienced warmth and friendliness from the hotel staff. They made sure that our every need was accommodated with a smile- a REAL smile. Staff members introduced themselves and each other by name and regularly engaged us in pleasant conversation. And after recommending a restaurant to us for dinner the night before, the concierge remembered us and asked how we enjoyed our dining experience.

As for the hotel itself, it's gorgeous and stunningly appointed. We stayed in a King room and it was the largest room I've ever had in Chicago. The room had a fireplace, LCD TV, and a TV that was actually embedded within the bathroom mirror. Everything was impeccably clean and we wanted for nothing. They had robes and slippers for us (one small pair of slippers for me, a larger pair for my hubby), and bottles of Evian were delivered with the turndown service.

Elysian has BMWs with drivers that will take you anywhere in the city within a 2-mile radius. Our driver took us to Gino's for my husband's first Chicago pizza, and when we discovered a line outside the building, he quickly changed course and took us to a second Gino's location, where we had no wait at all.

I have to confess that I wish we'd ordered in-room dining more than once. My husband and I enjoyed an in-room breakfast that was impeccably prepared and absolutely delicious. We'll have to try the dinner menu (and make restaurant reservations!) during our next stay.

I have absolutely no hesitation about recommending Elysian to anyone and everyone I know. In fact, even after only a mere two nights there, I feel like somewhat of an ambassador for Elysian. More often than not, my husband and I stay in Marriott-owned properties when traveling around the world, because I inherited some timeshare weeks that yield a useful amount of reward points. But Marriott lacks customer service, and I've always imagined that there must be hotels out there where the staff cares about their work and provides an exceptional level of service. And Elysian delivers the kind of service I've always dreamt of- solicitous and helpful without being overbearing or false. You really get the sense that the staff really cares about their work and wants to do the best job possible. In short, Elysian takes the word "hotel" to a completely different level- it's more of a home away from home, but the home you wish you owned in downtown Chicago, where the people know you and make you feel totally welcome. Elysian delivers the kind of service I've always dreamt of- solicitous and helpful without being overbearing or false. You really get the sense that the staff really cares about their work and wants to do the best job possible. In short, Elysian takes the word "hotel" to a completely different level- it's more of a home away from home, but the home you wish you owned in downtown Chicago, where the people know you and make you feel totally welcome.

2  Thank bizinbluejeans
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Stayed at the hotel for a long weekend in December, and loved every minute! My wife indicates 'we have a new hotel'.

Arrived very late at night after a very long and stressful drive through the snow. Matt @ the front desk was very helpful getting our belongings out of the car and up to our room.

The room is gorgeous. Simple, elegant, spotless, comfortable. Fireplaces in every room. Matt noted that the pilot light was out on ours -- there was someone up in the room fixing it with 3 minutes.

All the furniture is extremely comfortable. Really enjoyed breakfast in the room each day in front of the fire!

The service was fantastic. For one thing, the no-tipping concept is real and genuine, and it does just make every little interaction with staff a little. . . . nicer. . . easier? More comfortable.

My wife and I are vegan, so when we received a call two days before our arrival they asked for any special requests. When traveling, we never can get anything but oatmeal from room service for breakfast. So. . . .since they asked, we asked if they could come up with some options. . . maybe some vegan pancakes.

We had delicious, vegan pancakes for breakfast every morning! Was really a great touch.

Spa is very nice. Well appointed, again very clean. Pool is just a lap pool, and no whirlpool outside the spa. Would have been nice to soak with the wife. . . . .but we soaked alone in the spa! Then spent some time in the sauna and steam-rooms.

The staff was great. Any request was handled very quickly. We never waited more than 2-3 minutes for our car to be brought out.

Can't wait to return!!

Reviewed 7 December 2010

I live in Chicago and usually stay at the Peninsula and Four Seasons when visiting the city; definately add The Elysian as a premier hotel for a quiet sophisticated elegant stay for a Chicago visit. Location is perfect ! Short walk to incredible shopping of area boutiques and the Magnificent Mile. Short walking distance to local favorite restaurants on Rush Street. Being a new hotel, the city cab drivers are still getting to know the hotel so know the address of the hotel when you travel somewhere by cab. The service is exceptional. Every staff person we encountered was helpful, gracious and professional. The hotel is very clean and well layed out. Stayed in a king suite. The room was very spacious for value. The fireplace, balcony and windows that open in the bedroom were extras that are unavailable anywhere else in the city and added a sophistication and elegant ambience for a winter visit. The view (east side) was delightful. You could see the Hancock Building and partial view of Lake Michigan. My guest enjoyed a facial treatment in the spa and said it was one of the best he ever had. The bed has plush linens and was extremely comfortable. The bathroom is overly spacious with an incredible shower and over-sized soaking tub and a tv. Robes and towels are freshly replaced every day. Ironing board and hair dryer available in room. Microwave and freezer/refigerator in bar area were a nice plus....we heated our restaurant left-overs late night and ice was always available. 24 hour room service the quickest i had ever experienced while traveling. Visit Balsan in the hotel for a quick bite and cocktail. Juliette was delightful and informative and gracious as she prepared food for service. See Christopher the bartender for one of his signature Cherry Espresso Martinis....exceptional !! They have a no-tip policy which is hard to get used to but really is a great concept. Cannot say enough about what a great experience it was. Not to miss when you visit Chicago !!!