2,633 results
All reviews no tipping policy house car elysian hotel luxury suite gas fireplace bathroom mirror the gold coast room service wet bar soaking tub beautiful hotel four seasons living room steam room bottle of champagne rush street turn down service
Reviewed 25 June 2012

One word sums up the Waldorf Astorua Chicago...CLASSY!

The service was effortless and friendly helpfulness, without being highbrow or overbearing. 5 star service is about making every guest feel comfortable and at ease and this place delivers. I think the no tipping policy is very classy, although I had to keep reminded myself not to.

When we pulled up to the hotel, the valet took the car and someone else took our luggage in. The hotel rooms were sold out (that's what happens when you're #1 on so many lists!!!) and the housekeeping staff had some difficulty with having all the rooms ready by 3pm check-in. When we arrived, we had to listen to some spoiled guests complaining about this and the fact that they could not get the upgrades they wanted. Get over it, people! We took kids to the pool. The staff took our luggage to the pool for them to change and brought our keys to the pool when the room was ready.

It is not hard to make a room look nice on the surface, but his place went well beyond that. The finishes are what you would find in million dollar homes, including refrigerator and freezer drawers and custom wardrobe with leather lined drawers. I didn't even start with everyone's dream bathroom with pocket doors, wall to wall carrera marble, the TV in the mirror (I know you're sick of hearing about it), beautiful mosaic floor, deep Tea for 2 cast iron Kohler tub (a mini pool for my girls), hugh shower, and creative way to hide the water closet with frosted glass doors. It was very spacious and I had to remind myself that I could walk more freely around the room. The lighting system is great...you can even turn off the doorbell if you don't want to be disturbed. No "do not disturb sign needed. Very classy.

I did not schedule a spa treatment but did have the opportunity to use the spa which was an amazing treat. The staff was very gracious and brought me tea. I love the snack spoon set up...you have to see it to know what I mean.
We had brunch at Balsan and it was wonderful. The macarons for turndown were a wonderful treat. Classy, classy, classy!

We brought our 3 and 4 year old girls with us. I would not consider this a family hotel (I think it is ideal or a romantic trip or a getaway with your girlfriends) but the staff was very accommodating with our girls at the pool (gave them pool toys to use) and Balsan (with postcards for coloring.) They also received a toy at turndown which was again, very classy.

I will be spending a small fortune to take my husband to Pebble Beach for his 50th birthday. I already know I will be disappointed with the Inn at Spanish Bay regardless of how well rated it is because of my experience at WA Chicago.
I can't wait to come back here.

2  Thank foodie007

Dear foodie007,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. We truly appreciate your positive feedback and gracious comments regarding our staff, our rooms with all of its unique amenities, our Spa, our restaurant Balsan, and our no tipping policy. The entire team is always excited and delighted to assist without any expectation of receiving back.

I regret the fact that you had to wait for your room to be ready; however, I am glad that you and your family were able to relax using our swimming pool during that time. We hope you have a lovely time in California with your husband to celebrate his birthday. On your next stay, you should definitely have to experience one of our Spa treatments. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Had a wonderful visit to Chicago while staying at the Waldorf Astoria. This is our first visit to this hotel, and we were extremely pleased with it. We have stayed at the Drake, Hotel Monaco, Hotel Allegro, and the Palmer House before and have had very good stays at most of them but this takes first place. The staff was excellent--very friendly and helpful (note: tips are not accepted, which pegged me for a newbie everytime I pulled cash out. Really too bad because the staff was so good that you really want to tip them). The few minor issues we had (fridge started to break down) were very quickly and courteously fixed. We stayed in the Astoria Suite and it was the perfect size for our needs with a toddler. Separate bedroom, living room, nice size bathroom w/soaking tub and shower, very nice dressing area w/PLENTY of drawers and hanger space, small balcony w/two chairs, bar w/microwave and fridge-separate from stocked minibar fridge (which was so helpful to prepare meals/snacks for our toddler).
Perfect location, walking to all the great restaurants in the Gold Coast area and to the shopping on the Magnificent Mile. Also short cab rides to other great restaurants in the Near North area and shopping on the southern part of the Mag Mile.
One last thing on the staff, since all the staffs at the other hotels I mentioned were good. I think part of what made the Waldorf's staff exceptional was that there was always plenty of staff around. Even at checkout time, when things are crazy even at some of the best hotels, this was the quickest and most painless of checkouts. We had bell service, valet, and front desk checkout in shockingly under 10 minutes!
We will definitely stay here again in the future, and it is now at the top of our hotel list for Chicago!

2  Thank ILBadgerFan

Dear ILBadgerFan,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your last stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It was such a pleasure to have you as our guest. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your room with all of its unique amenities, the hotel location and that the entire team was able to promptly assist with any of your needs. Thank you so much for your loyalty and for letting us be on the top of the list of your favorite hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Have been to the hotel when it was the Elysian and always enjoyed our stay there. We were concerned that it would not be as good as we had come to expect but we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was as good and even better than our past stay. Would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank mollymaguire

Dear mollimaguire,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago, but most importantly, for visiting us again! We are so thrilled that we exceeded your expectations. We will look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I've stayed at the hotel twice: once back in Feb when it became the Waldorf and just again in June. Both times the service was exceptional. If there were an issues with the room, they were resolved immediately. I really can't comment much on the food as I only had a croissant (tasted like it came straight from Paris) and had an an espresso (sadly didn't know it was $16 when I ordered it in the spa and it was not worth it). I'm a big fan of the spa. I think it's one of the best in the US. Highly recommend any of the services there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JSPrima
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Dear JSPrima,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. Our pastry team is so delighted to hear that you enjoyed our croissants. It is also wonderful to hear that you are a good fan of the Spa. We appreciate your feedback regarding the price of the espresso. The team will certainly review this information. We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Waldorf Astoria when your travels next bring you to Chicago!

Reviewed 19 June 2012

This is by far the best hotel in Chicago. The rooms are large and thoughtfully designed. The location is perfect (one block off Rush and a short walk to the shops on Michigan Avenue), and the staff very helpful. It is somewhat pricey but definitely worth it. First class all the way!

Room Tip: Our deluxe king had a TV behind the bathroom mirror so you could relax in the deep soaking tub while watching TV.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank l0nnieand

Dear LonnieAnd,

Thank you so kindly for your gracious comments regarding your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. We are truly happy that you found the hotel location ideal and that you enjoyed your room, especially the TV in the mirror! It does help many of our guests to relax. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon!