2,813 results
All reviews fire station fire department great location free breakfast corner suite breakfast room navy pier hear sirens fresh fruit light sleeper within walking distance chicago downtown hot breakfast hot tub breakfast staff front desk staff the magnificent mile
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Hampton Inn and Suites, My 15 year old son and I came to Chicago to see Wrigley Field and a Cubs game. Our plane arrived late and we didn't get to the hotel until after 10:00pm. They were no longer serving room service, but the staff gave me plenty of menus from local restaurants that would deliver. My son and I were very appreciative of this because as you know, airlines don't serve the best food.
All of the staff went above and beyond their job duties to ensure my son and I had everything we needed from restaurant menus, to maps, to websites to order food from local restaurants from. The hotel room was very clean. It did have a stale smoke odor which I would assume came from someone smoking in the room when they shouldn't have. I don't blame the hotel for this though. I just opened my window for some fresh, crisp Chicago air. We were just across the street from the fire station, which was very busy, but it didn't bother us at all.
Whenever we needed directions or suggestions on what to do around the city, the staff was always there with great suggestions.
Thank you again Hampton Inn and Suites, when we come back to Chicago we will be calling you for a reservation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is in a good location, not far from the magnificent mile and lots of interesting restaurants nearby. Also very close to the Red Line Grand station. Management friendly reception, clean rooms and windows that can be opened to let some fresh air in. The last is a very important point to me as many hotels have very stale air and smells of cleaning chemicals can build up as well. My main quibble is that I would like to see the option of reusable plates and cups at breakfast.

Room Tip: The fire station is close by which may affect room choice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Axellent
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests.

I am glad that you found us a great value with wireless internet & Hampton's On the House Hot breakfast included in your rate.

I did want to address your desire that we use reusable plates & cups in our breakfast area. Hampton hotels are focused service hotels without a full service kitchen with dishwashing capabilities. We do use an environmentally friendly serve ware called enviroware that is biodegradable. Envi roware is designed to interact with micro -organisms present in landfills, composters and almost everywhere in nature including oceans, lakes & forests. These micro-organisms metabolize the molecular structure of the plastic, breaking it down into soil . This process can occur with or without oxygen.

Thank you for your feedback & we look forward to hosting you the next time you are in Chicago from Austraila.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Amazing staff (super friendly, saying welcome back every time). The room (king) had a decent size for a very fair price. The complementary breakfast exceeded expetaions as well. Only the fire station close by is a bit annoying (horns).

Stayed: April 2012

I just wanted to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the product and service we give our guests.

I am sorry that you encountered outside noise during your stay. The great thing about being in a dense urban downtown is the excitement of many people, things to do with a constant a hustle & bustle; however, with that comes noise. As with most hotels in downtown, street noise is something that will be encountered: Downtown Chicago is a dense, bustling city with lots of city noise including emergency vehicles that may be heard throughout the day. Most guests are not generally disturbed by the noise, but we realize that each person has their own sensitivity to it. For those light sleepers or to those not accustomed to city noise we do offer earplugs at the front desk.

Thank you for your feedback & we look forward to hosting you at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown the next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed at this Hampton a few weeks ago and by far was blown away. The suite that we had has 2 double beds and a pull out sofa. Was very clean and comfortable. Between Brandon, Tracee, and Janita, I felt as though I received 5star hotel service. Those 3 are phenomenal. They always welcomed us back when entering the hotel, and wished us a good day/evening when leaving. I was very happy to receive the best restaurant tips from Brandon. He helped my friends and I find affordable drink prices in the city as well as the inside scoop on food and events we could attend. We had a blast at the nightclubs he recommended for us to go to! Overall, we had an unforgettable experience thanks to these 3. We will definitely be coming back as long as they are there!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dan M
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments about our front desk staff, I will make sure to recognize them all for their hard work.

Please come back to visit us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown on your next trip to Chicago!

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the Hampton Inn & Suites. We normally stay on Michigan Avenue at The Omni or Westin. This trip we decided to use hotel points and booked a king suite for 2 nights.
The bellman and valet attended were friendly and helpful when we pulled up. Check-in was quick and we were in our room in no time. Based on the Tripadvisor reviews, I had called the hotel ahead of time to ask which rooms were the quietest. I requested an interior room on a higher floor, which we were given. I was surprised by the large size and nice deco of the suite. There was a nice kitchenette with ample counter, cabinet, and shelf space. The living area had a pull out sofa along with a chair and a desk area with it's own chair. The bedroom was also large with more than enough space for my daughters pack-n-play. The bathroom was a normal bathroom, that was clean. My son slept on the pull out couch and had no complaints. The bed was made with sheets and there were extra pillows and blankets in the closet. We did request a pack-n-play from housekeeping. It arrived quickly and was in good condition. The only issue with the pack-in-play was they didn't have a sheet for it. Instead they gave me a flat queen sheet. It worked ok, since my daughter is 18 months, but if I had an infant, I would not had felt comfortable. The King size bed was very soft.
We didn't have any issues with the noise from the fire station. Yes, we did hear the sirens when we were awake, but they did not wake any of us up and I'm a very light sleeper. The other hotels that we have stayed at in the area have plenty of siren noise. I really don't think the noise or frequency was that much more than other hotels I have stayed at.
We used the pool and hot tub. The pool area was clean and in good condition. The pool was a little cool for me, but the kids were fine. They also have a small workout area off from the pool. In the summer time they have an outdoor deck that you access from the pool. It looked nice, but was too chilly to enjoy it.
The breakfast bar was also larger than I had expected. They had waffles, various muffins & breads, 4-5 cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, and each day a different "hot" item. One day it was eggs, sausage, and potato and the next it was biscuits and gravy. They also had juice, tea and 3 different coffees too choose from. The breakfast room was large, clean, and had a nice modern decor. It did get busy in the room.
The hotel is located 2-3 blocks off Michigan near North Bridge (Nordstrom's Mall). It is close to the theatre district and would be an easy walk to Grant Park and that area. For us, the location was a bit remote since we tend to spend more time on the North end of Michigan.
There are many restaurants around the hotel and within a very short walk. There is a grocery store just down the street 1-2 blocks and a Trader Joe's another block or two down the street.
On busy days the wait for the elevator can be rough. We checked out on a Sunday and the hotel was very busy. We waited forever for an elevator and then had to cram in. My husband had to go back for a few bags and ended up taking the stairs because the wait was crazy.

Room Tip: If you want to have less fire truck noise, request an interior room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family