2,849 results
All reviews fire station fire department great location free breakfast corner suite breakfast room navy pier hear sirens light sleeper within walking distance chicago downtown fresh fruit hot breakfast hot tub breakfast staff front desk staff indoor pool
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed at this Hampton a few weeks ago and by far was blown away. The suite that we had has 2 double beds and a pull out sofa. Was very clean and comfortable. Between Brandon, Tracee, and Janita, I felt as though I received 5star hotel service. Those 3 are phenomenal. They always welcomed us back when entering the hotel, and wished us a good day/evening when leaving. I was very happy to receive the best restaurant tips from Brandon. He helped my friends and I find affordable drink prices in the city as well as the inside scoop on food and events we could attend. We had a blast at the nightclubs he recommended for us to go to! Overall, we had an unforgettable experience thanks to these 3. We will definitely be coming back as long as they are there!!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Dan M
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments about our front desk staff, I will make sure to recognize them all for their hard work.

Please come back to visit us at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown on your next trip to Chicago!

Graciously,

Ross Guthrie
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the Hampton Inn & Suites. We normally stay on Michigan Avenue at The Omni or Westin. This trip we decided to use hotel points and booked a king suite for 2 nights.
The bellman and valet attended were friendly and helpful when we pulled up. Check-in was quick and we were in our room in no time. Based on the Tripadvisor reviews, I had called the hotel ahead of time to ask which rooms were the quietest. I requested an interior room on a higher floor, which we were given. I was surprised by the large size and nice deco of the suite. There was a nice kitchenette with ample counter, cabinet, and shelf space. The living area had a pull out sofa along with a chair and a desk area with it's own chair. The bedroom was also large with more than enough space for my daughters pack-n-play. The bathroom was a normal bathroom, that was clean. My son slept on the pull out couch and had no complaints. The bed was made with sheets and there were extra pillows and blankets in the closet. We did request a pack-n-play from housekeeping. It arrived quickly and was in good condition. The only issue with the pack-in-play was they didn't have a sheet for it. Instead they gave me a flat queen sheet. It worked ok, since my daughter is 18 months, but if I had an infant, I would not had felt comfortable. The King size bed was very soft.
We didn't have any issues with the noise from the fire station. Yes, we did hear the sirens when we were awake, but they did not wake any of us up and I'm a very light sleeper. The other hotels that we have stayed at in the area have plenty of siren noise. I really don't think the noise or frequency was that much more than other hotels I have stayed at.
We used the pool and hot tub. The pool area was clean and in good condition. The pool was a little cool for me, but the kids were fine. They also have a small workout area off from the pool. In the summer time they have an outdoor deck that you access from the pool. It looked nice, but was too chilly to enjoy it.
The breakfast bar was also larger than I had expected. They had waffles, various muffins & breads, 4-5 cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, and each day a different "hot" item. One day it was eggs, sausage, and potato and the next it was biscuits and gravy. They also had juice, tea and 3 different coffees too choose from. The breakfast room was large, clean, and had a nice modern decor. It did get busy in the room.
The hotel is located 2-3 blocks off Michigan near North Bridge (Nordstrom's Mall). It is close to the theatre district and would be an easy walk to Grant Park and that area. For us, the location was a bit remote since we tend to spend more time on the North end of Michigan.
There are many restaurants around the hotel and within a very short walk. There is a grocery store just down the street 1-2 blocks and a Trader Joe's another block or two down the street.
On busy days the wait for the elevator can be rough. We checked out on a Sunday and the hotel was very busy. We waited forever for an elevator and then had to cram in. My husband had to go back for a few bags and ended up taking the stairs because the wait was crazy.

Room tip: If you want to have less fire truck noise, request an interior room on a higher floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank aorton
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We spent two nights on a group tour in March and this Hampton Inn exceeded our expectations. Everyone who worked there was exceptionally friendly and helpful...from the door greeters, to the bell desk, to the front desk staff, to the breakfast crew, to the sales staff. Even upper management showed up at the breakfast area to check on things. They had several people working the breakfast area keeping the food out and the area clean, unlike most limited service properties. Typically when a group shows up for breakfast, the ONE person assigned to the breakfast area is overwhelmed. Employees made an effort to greet us when we came and went from the hotel, smiled, and asked how our day went. They truly gave us a "warm and fuzzy" feeling. We will definitely be back!

• Trip type: Travelled on business

I wanted to say thanks for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I am glad that your group had such a great time with us; we do our best to take care of large groups like yours. I am so glad that you enjoyed the preparation our breakfast team paid to your group to ensure you get a wonderful breakfast experience.

Graciously,

Ross Guthrie
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I was exteremely impressed with this Hampton Inn in downtown Chicago. Perfect location for tourists or business in the loop. There are so many great restaurants and bars around this hotel and only a short walk to Michigan Ave.

I booked the 1 bedroom suite and was completely impressed by the decor, nice and new furnishings, and the spacious rooms. The upgrade is worth the money especially if you are travling with your family.

The gym was very small -- breakfast was great.

As normal, Hampton has great quality and the cleanest rooms in the hotel industry. As a short comparison, I have recently stayed at several Hilton properties in the area and here are my ratings.

Hampton Inn downtown: 5 stars
Hilton Garden Inn downtown: 5 stars
Homewood Suites: 3 stars

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel is in a great area of down town Chicago. Everything is within walking distance, shopping, dining, the "L". You name it, it's close by. Our room was neat, clean and had a great kitchenette. New GE stainless steel refrigerator, and microwave made reheating the awesome leftovers from Maggiano's easy-peasy. Our suite room had a large king-sized bedroom with a large flatscreen LG television. The bathroom had a granite countertop sink area, large closet with a safe and a clean bathroom with a large shower/tub and toilet room. The living room had a comfortable pull out sleeper sofa and a desk area. The kitchen has a nice granite counter top peninsula - great for eating and stashing all of our shopping packages.

We were very concerned when there was a sign in the lobby and another one as we exited the elevator on our floor, offering us earplugs, in case we needed them, available at the front desk! What? Why would we need earplugs? When we saw that our room was right next to the elevator bank, we knew why. A gentle humming of the elevators was our constant companion. We had even requested not to be near elevators on our reservation form. The outside noise was not an issue for us, we were on the inside or backside of the hotel. This was our only 'complaint' of our visit. We would make sure that we did not stay in room #312 again, or any other room next to the elevators.

Room tip: Ask to be up high and away from street noise and elevator noise and confirm that when you check in.
Date of stay: April 2012