“Disappointing stay”

Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed 13 September 2016

My first impression was not very good upon entering the hotel and smelling cigarette smoke. The lobby is very small with no where to really sit. The hallway carpet on the floor on which we were located was dirty with stains and torn in some places. Our room also smelled like cigarette smoke. The linoleum tile in the bathroom had a tear under the vanity (not sure how that could happen,) The refrigerator had food stains on the door. The only cups were two plastic cups in the bathroom. If one wanted any other cups/dishes, one would need to contact the front desk. We were told that the free breakfast was a "grab and go" breakfast. It consisted of granola bars and small packaged muffins. There was no de-caf coffee. Luckily for us, there was a Bob Evans Restaurant nearby that we went to for a decent breakfast before heading home.
The pluses for the Extended Stay were that the front desk staff were friendly and the bed was comfortable.
Do to all of the cons, I am trying to change my future reservations at the Extended Stay to other hotels. I will not stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone even though the price is more economical than the hotels I would prefer. I'll pay more to have a better stay.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

If you are a smoker you will love this place. As we opened the door to our room, the aroma of stale smoke wafted over us. After about 10 minutes my eyes and throat were burning. I was told there were no nonsmoking rooms available, so we put up with it for the night. Thank goodness it was only a one night stay

Avoid at all costs.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We were disappointed to hear your stay was not a positive one due to the room reserved through Priceline was a smoking room. We want to apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Unfortunately at that time we were unable to change your reservation to a non-smoking room due to being sold out. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. We would like to add that we will be a 100% non-smoking facility after our interior remodel is concluded. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at URB@extendedstay.com. We hope that despite the experience you had, you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

This is about the 4th time I've stayed at this hotel. Public areas were clean and well kept. Management was hospitable, and had made sure to honor a room request I'd made, which I appreciated. Smoking is allowed on the 3rd floor, but the smell does not penetrate the rest of the hotel. The room and kitchen area were properly cleaned and in good repair. Bed and linens very comfortable. Unfortunately someone at ESA corporate evidently has decided that windows that actually open are a public risk, and now there are metal stops that prevent windows from opening more than a couple of inches; this eliminates one of the advantages of ESA properties (being able to open windows to enjoy outside air). I did notice a 3rd floor window open, so apparently there is a way to temporarily remove the block. Wireless Internet is not superfast, but acceptable. The hotel is a block from I-74, so it is quiet. Good location near the I-74 Prospect St. interchange; it is less than 10 min. to downtown Champaign, about 5 minutes more to downtown Urbana.

Room Tip: The west side looks toward a Lowe's lumber yard; the east side looks toward the parking lot and...
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2016

We appreciate you sharing your experience. It is great knowing that you have continuously enjoyed staying with us multiple times. I'm glad you found your accommodations suitable.Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I just needed a clean, decent bed for a one-night stay in Champaign, IL. I used Priceline to do a name your own price reservation at a 2½ star hotel (they list Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Hampton Inn, & Four Points by Sheraton as examples of hotels in the 2½ to 3 star category.) the closest thing I can compare this extended stay to is a Super 8.

The place is skeezy. The caulk is peeling away from everything, the bathroom fan vent is rusty, the room-darkening blinds don't meet in the middle (so the blinding lights from the mega car dealership across the street flood right into your room all night long.) It's the sort of place you enter thinking, "I'm definitely getting secretly video-taped when I undress in this room."

But at least you won't be lonely. We got to listen to King Kong pace the floor above us all night, and when our next door neighbor was awake at 6am, it was like she was showering in our bed.

Seriously, I don't understand how this hotel ended up as a legitimate alternative to the others listed above (most of which I've stayed in, almost exclusively good experiences at the ones I have visited.) There is a place for this type of hotel, I just want to know what sort of quality I'm getting when I go into the deal. I've used priceline's name your own price option before, always with very good results. But this experience has definitely made me reluctant to use that option in the future, since I can't count on a "2½ star hotel" to actually be a 2½ star hotel.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies for the noise and cleanliness issues you experienced. In response to your feedback, I will be retraining our staff to make sure we are enforcing our quiet hours and to ensure that each guest has a comfortable stay. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests and we are very thankful for your feedback. Again, I apologize that our hotel was not to your standards.We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 30 May 2016

Awesome room with a small kitchenette in it. Bed was very comfortable. Chair was naugahide and comfortable. Free Breakfast was a muffin and fruit but we weren't aware of kitchenette until we arrived or we would have bought stuff to make our own.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2016

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I’m thrilled that we were able to provide you with a home away from home experience! It’s great to read that you enjoyed our fully equipped kitchens, grab-and-go breakfast, and our comfortable rooms. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.