“Comfortable, well-run budget extended stay property”

Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed 6 August 2016

This is about the 4th time I've stayed at this hotel. Public areas were clean and well kept. Management was hospitable, and had made sure to honor a room request I'd made, which I appreciated. Smoking is allowed on the 3rd floor, but the smell does not penetrate the rest of the hotel. The room and kitchen area were properly cleaned and in good repair. Bed and linens very comfortable. Unfortunately someone at ESA corporate evidently has decided that windows that actually open are a public risk, and now there are metal stops that prevent windows from opening more than a couple of inches; this eliminates one of the advantages of ESA properties (being able to open windows to enjoy outside air). I did notice a 3rd floor window open, so apparently there is a way to temporarily remove the block. Wireless Internet is not superfast, but acceptable. The hotel is a block from I-74, so it is quiet. Good location near the I-74 Prospect St. interchange; it is less than 10 min. to downtown Champaign, about 5 minutes more to downtown Urbana.

Room Tip: The west side looks toward a Lowe's lumber yard; the east side looks toward the parking lot and...
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2016

We appreciate you sharing your experience. It is great knowing that you have continuously enjoyed staying with us multiple times. I'm glad you found your accommodations suitable.Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I just needed a clean, decent bed for a one-night stay in Champaign, IL. I used Priceline to do a name your own price reservation at a 2½ star hotel (they list Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Hampton Inn, & Four Points by Sheraton as examples of hotels in the 2½ to 3 star category.) the closest thing I can compare this extended stay to is a Super 8.

The place is skeezy. The caulk is peeling away from everything, the bathroom fan vent is rusty, the room-darkening blinds don't meet in the middle (so the blinding lights from the mega car dealership across the street flood right into your room all night long.) It's the sort of place you enter thinking, "I'm definitely getting secretly video-taped when I undress in this room."

But at least you won't be lonely. We got to listen to King Kong pace the floor above us all night, and when our next door neighbor was awake at 6am, it was like she was showering in our bed.

Seriously, I don't understand how this hotel ended up as a legitimate alternative to the others listed above (most of which I've stayed in, almost exclusively good experiences at the ones I have visited.) There is a place for this type of hotel, I just want to know what sort of quality I'm getting when I go into the deal. I've used priceline's name your own price option before, always with very good results. But this experience has definitely made me reluctant to use that option in the future, since I can't count on a "2½ star hotel" to actually be a 2½ star hotel.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies for the noise and cleanliness issues you experienced. In response to your feedback, I will be retraining our staff to make sure we are enforcing our quiet hours and to ensure that each guest has a comfortable stay. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests and we are very thankful for your feedback. Again, I apologize that our hotel was not to your standards.We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 30 May 2016

Awesome room with a small kitchenette in it. Bed was very comfortable. Chair was naugahide and comfortable. Free Breakfast was a muffin and fruit but we weren't aware of kitchenette until we arrived or we would have bought stuff to make our own.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2016

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I’m thrilled that we were able to provide you with a home away from home experience! It’s great to read that you enjoyed our fully equipped kitchens, grab-and-go breakfast, and our comfortable rooms. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

The property is not well maintained. The staff is not well trained, and quite honestly, seemingly could care less if you were there or not. It took a while for the staff to come greet us even though he was seated, probably hiding, right to the right side of the check in desk. When he saw us we got the look and attitude that we were bothering him. We were given a bunch of paperwork to sign our life away and two keys. The room in general was very worn and old. The rooms come with a kitchen but has nothing, I mean not even a mug, in it. So if you plan on using the kitchen bring your own dishes, utensils, pots and pans, and anything else you may need or want to use. It did come with a very small packet of dish soap, which is pretty funny when there is not a dish to wash. Towels provided are holey and very hard. There was no closet, but wire racks to hang clothes on with four plastic hangers. The dresser was clearly worn. The TV was newer and worked. There was a guide by the bed for Showtime, but no Showtime was available. No ice on the property could be found. If you want a blow dryer, head to the front desk to borrow one and don't forget to return it! I suppose if you paid very little for the room, then you get what you paid for. We paid $430 for three nights. It was so bad that we left. I am told that we will get a refund for one night. We will see since the staff at the counter would not even give me a receipt for it.

Room Tip: Wifi free, but not really. When you sign in you get free turtle speed. If you wish to have faster...
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank KYungCPA
Reviewed 17 May 2016

I went through an online booking site - let me tell you this was part of the problem. I was unaware that the only room available (it was graduation weekend) was a smoking room. I'm a non-smoker. The room smelled strongly of stale smoke. It was so bad, it actually woke me up. Furniture was dinged up pretty badly, carpeting in the hallway was filthy, and one thin beige blanket plus a think comforter was all I had to cover with. The 3 pillows were pretty flattened. There was a constant dripping noise in the bathroom even though nothing appeared to be leaking. Walls were thin. I was surprised that because it was extended stay there was no ice machine in the building. I don't know who has the fortitude to stay there for an extended period, but I for one couldn't leave soon enough.

To their credit, the manager offered to take $50 off of my bill when I expressed my concerns. I took him up on that offer. This is the only reason I didn't rate it "terrible." The room was priced high to begin with due to graduation weekend. The $50 off makes it more tolerable, but I still paid too much given the experience.

They really need to put some money into this property!

Room Tip: This is a hotel that has smoking rooms. If you're not a smoker, check your reservation to make...
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Awilda0216
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Champaign - Urbana, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2016

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that a nonsmoking room was not available upon your arrival. To uphold our company's high standards, we will closely monitor our room inventory moving forward. Additionally, I will be inspecting our rooms with our maintenance engineer to ensure that everything is functioning properly. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at URB@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.