“Disappointing meal with the hubby!”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Gretton
Price range: USD 8 - USD 25
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Decided to venture out to this pub/restaurant with recommendations from a friend that the food was excellent.
Unfortunately although the pub itself was cosy with fabulous views my meal was not so!
Decided to choose from the blackboard menu-I had lemon sole,the hubby John Dory fillets.Meals arrived piping hot-disappointed to see mine had tasteless boiled new potatoes-however the sole looked ok.After a few mouthfuls I came across something strange within the fish-it had an unpleasant odour.It looked like roe-what bothered me was the smell!Spoke to the waitress who agreed it looked strange and was quite large-she whisked my plate off to the kitchen behind the green door.Expecting an apology or to be asked did I want something else.She returned with said plate and declared “Chef says it’s ok it’s the roe and ok to eat”!! No way was I going to eat something that smelt like sweaty socks!!!
Needless to say we decided to miss dessert and just wanted to leave.Complained again at the bar when paying the bill-the sole was £18-but no refund offered!
Needless to say I left angry and hungry!
Will be voting with our feet and will not be returning.
On the way out also noticed that it only had a 4 out of 5 food hygiene rating-what’s that about?
Such a shame as the setting for this place is lovely- if you eat there-choose carefully!!!

1  Thank rooibos19

Reviewed 12 March 2018

2 visits and 2 completely different experiences. The menu is OK - not exciting - but I have no problems with that. Our party ranged in age from teens to 80s so we weren't looking for a culinary adventure. On a first visit we were seated in the conservatory which was very pleasant. Service was professional and prompt and the food fine. The second time we were ignored on arrival and then seated in the dining room through the bar. No complaints about that in itself as the conservatory area was full, but it entailed jostling our way through a crowded area of fairly loud and unfriendly drinkers - this was with an old lady, mind - and, once seated, the service was just awful; it was as if we had been completely forgotten. Food too just wasn't as good as it had been a few nights earlier. Management were fully in evidence both nights so this inconsistency is hard to understand and even harder to excuse. A 3rd visit is unlikely.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

It’s been a few years but we revisited the oak recently and had a lovely lunch in the conservatory with the wood burner very cozy and the food and service were excellent we will definitely come again.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

We had a family lunch here & really enjoyed it.
The meat was exceptional, & all the food was very nice & locally sourced.
It was hot, fresh & served promptly - good for us as one of our party was baby - who the staff were very good with.
The wine is expensive though, although it was nice - Prosecco is £28 a bottle.
We plan to return for an evening meal soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

This is one of my local favourites, but the past two trips have been disappointing food-wise.

The 'special' pie was the smallest we had ever seen, with even the waiting staff acknowledging their surprise with how small it was, and my main had to be sent back as it was both hardly even warm in temperature and the poached egg was hard boiled.

The cost of dishes aren't extortionate, but not cheap either, and we both left disappointed again from this experience.

On the plus side the waiting staff could not be friendlier and more helpful, and the roaring fire just the job!