“Excellent Pizza! Family Atmosphere!”

Mamma Maria’s Pizzeria & Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Mamma Maria’s Pizzeria & Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 55 Restaurants in Bensenville
Price range: USD 0 - USD 15
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 October 2017

Excellent food, prompt service and relaxed atmosphere! With so many pizza choices and Italian family restaurants in suburbs, this is one that's well worth a stop for lunch or dinner. The pizza was fresh, excellent crust and sauce, and hot out of the oven. Recommend the Classic Margherita (plum tomato and basil). But they also have a menu with so many other choices in addition to their pizza.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

We get carry out pizza here several times a month, and it's great. We decided to go to the casual restaurant with family, and arrived at 5:55 on a Friday. We did not have a reservation. There is a nice outdoor seating area, and a couple of tables were open outdoors.

I arrived first, and went inside to the hostess stand, and waited. No one greeted me, although there were plenty of servers right there. It's a small restaurant, with a bar, and 2 dining rooms totaling about 15 tables. There were 4 tables vacant in the first dining.

A woman came to the hostess stand, but didn't greet me or acknowledge me. I asked if I could get a table for 3, the other 2 would be arriving in a few minutes. She said, "Well, I don't know if I have anything available." She looked in her book, picked up some menus, and walked to an open table. I followed her. The woman turned around and very pointedly said, "Oh, this isn't for YOU. This is for my 6:30." I said, "oh, well, do you have a table for 3?" She responded, sort of miffed, "well I don't know. Besides, I won't seat you until everyone is here. It could be half an hour before they get here." I responded, "You just set aside a table for people won't be here for half an hour. I'm here, and the others are just around the corner." Her response, "it's not like you're a regular. It would be different if you were a regular." Finally she told me she might have table setting up in the other room. That was fine.

The rest of the family had arrived, when another party of 2 came in. They said they did not have reservations but she started to seat them. I said, "excuse me. My party is here. Could we please be seated?" It had been 10 minutes since she had told me they were setting up a table. She took us into the second dining room where there were 4 or 5 empty tables.

We were seated and opened our table settings, which had been wrapped in napkins. The waitress took our drink order, but we had to ask for water twice.

We ordered the fried calamari appetizer, which came with marinara on the side. The calamari was very good, but the marinara added nothing but salt. It was watery, and overly salty. This was when we realized we had napkins on our laps, but the utensils had been removed from the table! The waitress made no attempt to give us utensils when we mentioned we had none, just stood and looked at us. We got up and walked over to other tables to get our own utensils. That's when the hostess walked in and grumbled that we hadn't let her set up the table before seating us!

Our piping hot pizza arrived, a good time for a server to ask if we needed anything. Good thing we didn't. The pizza was very hot, but was not as good as what we get from their carry out. How can that be??

So long story, get their carry out or delivery pizza. Skip the other dishes, and definitely skip the dining room unless you like an unwelcoming atmosphere with mediocre service. Or unless you "are a regular."

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Great Italian restaurant recommended by our hotel staff. They weren't wrong. Excellent service by Nicole!

Reviewed 14 September 2017

it's the "go to" place in Bensenville for pizza. Other Italian dishes are just as good. Fast, hot delivery and take out runs smoothly. Restaurant itself just underwent expansion and renovation

Reviewed 17 August 2017

the best italian food family friendly environment looks even more amazing with new upgrades and remodel fair prices and good portions