“In the small town of Wallace, Idaho, there is a small bistro / cafe; Blackboard Cafe.”
Review of Blackboard Cafe

Blackboard Cafe
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Wallace
Price range: USD 7 - USD 21
Description: A dual concept restaurant featuring classic and modern sandwiches, soup and salad for lunch, classic Italian dinner in the evenings and now serving Sunday breakfast.
Reviewed 19 February 2018

The Blackboard Cafe is a small place with a very interesting decor. When I entered the cafe, on a very snowy day, I noticed the chalkboard wall with its chalk drawings, hanging chandeliers, and a fresh rose (in water) on each table. And, there is a cafe bar with stools toward the back. The food was very good! I heard there was a 5 star chef and former Olympian working behind the scene...Their Cuban Sandwich is the BEST I have ever tasted! The fresh and very large Cookies were amazing, as well. We had breakfast, first, then ordered the sandwiches w/chips to go...I love this cafe!!...its a great place to meet a friend or a couple could have a romantic experience...I will definitely visit again...dont miss this place...the waitress was friendly, too.

Luanne W, Owner at Blackboard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Restaurant was empty at 5:45 when we pulled into town. Not sure what to expect.

Service was great from the start. Nice tap craft beer, delicious olive tapenade appetizer. My carbonara pasta was great and my fellow traveler loved his chicken parmigiana.

Great and surprising find in Wallace. Restaurant was full by the time we left as it deserves to be!!!!

Reviewed 10 December 2017

A cute little place but the worst Rueben sandwich I've ever had. A small paninni style blob, skimpy on everything but the mayo, includes a little bag of chips. Take a cooking class, please.

Luanne W, Owner at Blackboard Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

I am curious to know more about your experience at Blackboard Café. As the owner and server, I try very hard to make sure every customer is happy. I don't recall serving a customer that was unsatisfied with their Reuben, and I must say you gave a very unfair description of the sandwich. We use a grilled chiabata roll, house made corn beef, bacon sauerkraut, house made Russian dressing, and Swiss cheese. We accompany the sandwich with Kettle chips and we don't use individual bags of chips. I can understand that the sandwich just didn't satisfy you since it's not a traditional Reuben, and if I am made aware of your dissatisfaction at the time, I would have made it right. We work way too hard and care very much, so when it comes to a review like yours, we take it very hard. I have one lunch shift that I don't work at the restaurant and am wondering if you had a bad experience, expressed it to the server, and nothing was done about it. Any additional feedback you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

New on Blackboard dinner menu is their version of beef tartar. Being one of my favorite appetizers, I had it, and found it to be the best beef tartar I have ever eaten anywhere, from Germany, France, Italy or USA. What made it so good? On the bottom of a cylinder was bacon aioli, then a thick layer of small chunks of cubed raw beef (not ground up) and on top of the cylinder a ring of black caviar with a raw egg yoke nestled in the middle. WOW what an unusual taste treat! A must to order for dinner at Blackboard. Could be shared by two persons.

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has a wonderful warm atmosphere and Yummy food and it just happened to be snowing outside so it was so cool inside dining and watching the snow fall -we had the spaghetti dinner withmeatballs and shared a chocolate dessert with ice cream -we will be back and we tell others to go there too!!

Been to Blackboard Cafe? Share your experiences!