“Moving Up in the Restaurant World”
Review of Brick 29

Brick 29
Ranked #1 of 215 Restaurants in Nampa
Price range: USD 10 - USD 35
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 February 2018

I say "Moving Up" because the restaurant is now on the third floor and not the basement.

It was our first visit. We were in Boise and decided to drive over to Nampa and sample the fare from this restaurant. We'd read good reviews and thought it would be worth the trip. It was. In fact, we'd consider a longer drive to eat there again.

We started with cups of a rich, rich cream of mushroom soup followed by the lunch entrées, grilled rock fish (skin on) changing only the "beds" for each. She had garlic-mashed potatoes. I had the coconut rice. Both were garnished with a lovely pineapple-based relish. Both of us thought the fish was slightly over-cooked but that's just our taste.

I chose to have a glass of Syrah with lunch because I didn't like the choices of whites by-the-glass. It was fine, but not the best complement for our fishes.

We thought the open ambiance was quite nice and comfortable. My only complaint, having been in the wine business for eleven years, is their storage for the reds in absolutely the warmest place in the room. Right over the open space to the visible kitchen. I hope their turnover is fast enough. My Syrah was fine. I detected no maderization so perhaps my concern is unwarranted, but if I were a supplier I'd probably keep tabs on any returned wine.It looked like the white wines are stored in a temp-controlled cabinet.

In any case, we'll definitely return for more meals.

2  Thank FlyWagon

Reviewed 18 February 2018

I visited Brick 29 on a very busy Friday evening to celebrate a friend's birthday. We had a reservation for 8 at 5 p.m. Our table was ready and we were seated about 10 minutes early. I arrived just before that and purchased a beer at the bar. Quite frankly they have a lousy selection of beer on tap, it does not include any lagers or domestic beer. While I embrace a variety of lagers and pilsners from around the world, I do not like IPAs, stouts or porters. They had a session ale but I did not like it either. On the bonus side, it was happy hour and a domestic bottle of beer only cost $1.50. The bar also offers an assortment of locally sourced wines and it looked like they offered a full cocktail service.

The menu can be viewed on-line and is quite eclectic. The staff also carefully reviewed the evening's specials (and prices), which included an enormous 14 ounce steak as well as lobster and a couple other items.

I feel the service was basically impeccable. The staff are tastefully groomed, friendly and helpful.

While I enjoy trying different types of food, I am not a huge fan of sauces, flavors and toppings that accompanied many of the dishes, but I did enjoy my tenderloin Cobb salad, which was very filling, and modified to my specifications.

Brick 29 is extremely busy on a Friday night but people seemed to be patiently waiting in the very tiny waiting area or bar area, and this is in their new "expanded" location on the third floor.

I quite liked the fact that they have four individual "unisex" bathrooms, all of which seemed handicapped accessible and the one I visited was very clean.

Overall, very good food and service, but I am only giving 4 stars because of the lousy beer selection on tap. I feel the prices are quite comparable with any other restaurant or brew pub in the Treasure Valley.

I think going in an off prime time might offer an even better experience, as with all the people it was quite loud but that of course can't be helped.

1  Thank P C H
Reviewed 14 February 2018

This is a first class restaurant. The menu features several delicious entrees. My employee and I went for lunch. We arrived a little past 11:00 am. Good thing. When we left at 12:00 pm,there was a line waiting to be seated. The food was delicious and expertly presented. The prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Bob B
Keela B, Owner at Brick 29, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2018

Thanks for the great review, Bob!

Reviewed 29 January 2018

This is my favorite place for lunch. However, based on my recent experience, I have to rate this restaurant as average. There are several staples on the menu I love. This time I order lighter fare Cuban sandwich with side salad. That was really disappointment. There is no comparison to a real Cuban sandwich. My sandwich had a ham and tasteless pulled pork, grilled to one side so one bite had all the meat, other side just a layer of the cheese. Little more attention to ingredients and preparation would help.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Our world is so homogenized. I visited Israel and couldn't help noticing at the bottom of 2000 year old Roman columns were discarded Coca-Cola cans. Occasionally, one finds a unique experience, especially in the world of culinary _______. Such is the case of Brick 29 Bistro in Nampa, Idaho. One doesn't expect too much in Nampa, middle class, formerly farms and a railroad town. Lots of chain restaurants & franchises. Then there's Brick 29. An innovative menu, changing season to season. Always taking advantage of locally available produce. The chef, Dustan Bristol, is creating incredible culinary delights but on the comfort food level one craves. When you go, and I know you will, don't miss the mushroom bisque, or the artichoke spinach dip, or the Cubano sandwich, or.....well, good luck settling on your choice. Whatever it is, you wont be disappointed.

2  Thank Susan D

Been to Brick 29? Share your experiences!