Open today: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Reviewed 25 June 2018
lhamdog
Columbus, Ohio
via mobile
Go to the source, learn from the best

Reviewed 31 May 2018
Richard R
Westminster, Colorado

All reviews fly shop fly fishing henry's fork box canyon float trip guided trip the river bring your own paul colton lawson leader idaho
Reviewed 15 August 2018

My wife and I booked our full day July 2018 trip in January 2018. After making our payment, we never received a word about confirmation, nor any other communication from Henry's Fork Anglers. The only way we knew the trip was booked is from our credit card statement. The day before our float trip, we called them from the road to ask if there was anything we needed to bring, what we were supposed to do about dietary restrictions, what time we needed to show up at the shop, etc. They said that all that information was in the email that they had sent us. We did not receive an email from them and asked them to confirm the email address and resend. Still no email, (which they argued that they had sent multiple times) but we were told after an additional call to be at the fly shop at 8:30am.
We had stated in our only communication with them that we wanted to fish the Henry's Fork river. When we arrived at the fly shop, our guide met us and asked if we wanted to fish the Madison (Montana), South Fork of the Snake, or the Teton. I stated that we had requested the Henry's Fork in our initial communication with the shop. Our guide stated that the Henry's fork was not available and we would have to choose something else. He then asked if I had brought my gear with me. I indicated that I had brought my fly rods, but nothing else. He said "well you should have brought your flies. That information was in the email we sent you". He then proceeded to pick out about 15 of the most expensive flies I have ever paid for and added them to our tab. We left the fly shop, and headed to a deli to pick up sandwiches for lunch, then headed to the Teton river.
by the time we got to the river and got the boat in the water it was 10:15am. It was a very bright sunny hot day, so the fishing wasn't stellar, but it was OK. Our guide swapped out flies twice during the day to no avail. The float was fine, up until it ended at 3:50pm. Wife and I were both upset that we had paid $595 to book a full day trip, $60 for flies, plus the required tip for the guide for a full day and only got less than 6 hours of fishing. Most expensive float trip I have ever been on and the shortest in length. We have taken many trips in Montana with guides from various fly shops, they provide all the flies, are in contact with you in the weeks leading up to your trip, and most of them contact you the night before you float to get your lunch order taken care of before the start of the trip. A full day float is at least 8 hours long (sometimes more), and they are much more accommodating. I will never use Henry's Fork Anglers again and recommend that you take it upon yourself to remain in constant contact with them and ask ALOT of questions so you know what you are in for before you book your trip with them.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Took two fly fishing trips and they did not disappoint! Great guides, gorgeous scenery, and fish a plenty! Very knowledgeable, friendly and patient guides that will give you a wonderful experience!

Ask for Murphy, Paul or Colton.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

We were in Idaho for the total solar eclipse and after the sun came back we took the son up to Island Park so he could go fly fishing with a guide from the Henry's Fork Anglers. This is the shop opened by Mike Lawson back in the mid 70's. The shop is world renowned. My boss at work is an expert fly fisherman and he goes to Henry's Fork for tuneups and great fishing. So when I told him we were going up that way he told us we had to go to Mike Lawson's shop. The experience for my son was just amazing. The shop has everything you could hope or need to buy. You can rent everything you need for the day. The guides are all experts with years of experience and know every foot of every river they guide. They know where the fish are. And the know how to catch those fish. And they will teach you how. So whether you are wading or floating, you are going to learn a lot and catch big fish while doing it. My son had a blast and the guide made sure all his reels were maintained and new line put on for the next outing. So if you are in the area and want to go fishing, you will have an amazing adventure with a guided trip out of Mike Lawson's Henry's Fork Anglers. Guaranteed. Cheers

1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Tougher than average fishing skills required, but the guides are outstanding and the shop is excellent. Highly recommended for experienced anglers and older kids. They did a great job with the kids.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We floated two days and waded the rest of the week. Although Cardiac Canyon is beautiful, Box Canyon was much better fishing. Jay and Tom were fantastic guides. Staff is very personable and helpful with flies and locations. Be aware that you will be charged for leaders, tippet, flies, and you have to rent rods if you didn't bring your own. It is not an insignificant charge, either. I have never been charged for that before.

Reviewed 9 December 2016 via mobile

Bob Lamm was our guide on a fishing trip some people only dream of. Yes our day with Bob Lamm was great regardless of my hyperthermia from my leaky waders. That was not fun. But, I caught my biggest trout ever, a huge cutthroat. We learned alot from Bob, and enjoyed the rest of our week on Henry's Fork. We definitely used all the extra flys we had left over from our guide time. Our second day on the river was AFTER stopping back at the shop to buy my brand new waders. End of October, beginning November and I need ladies waders, what are the chances? Yes! Thank goodness HFA had a great pair of Simms. I'm a happy girl! And thoroughly loved my time fishing the Henry's Fork. Thanks HFA! Hope to be back again some day!

Reviewed 20 September 2016 via mobile

These guys at Henry's Fork Anglers did a great job with us. We got two boats and two guides to float Henry's Fork River. While the early morning weather was a bit cool for us Texans, it changed to a really nice day later on. Our two guides, Tom and Paul, did yeomen work to ensure that we had both a good time and catch a lot of fish.

Our guide, Paul, engaged us regularly with excellent suggestions as to catching fish. Also, he was somewhat of a standup comedian with jokes and anecdotal tales of his past as a great Razorback fan to his transformation to an outdoor guide in Idaho. Obviously we would recommend this group to all who want to have a good time and catch the wily trout. We plan on coming back next year.

1  Thank wayner243
Reviewed 8 August 2016

Awesome shop, awesome guides, awesome flies. Thanks Tom for putting me on the fish! Tom was more than happy to answer my questions and even give me suggestions where to go then show it to me on the map. Really do not get that service at a lot of places generally.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Absolutely incredible! We bought this trip at a fundraiser and even though our guide, Jay wasn't paid he was awesome. We would have not made it down the steep trail without his assistance. I highly recommend Henry's Anglers. The whole staff is great.

1  Thank Connie H
Reviewed 23 July 2016

If you are planning a fly fishing trip to the Henry's Fork, South Fork, Madison River (MT) or any where in the greater Yellowstone area, you need to at least contact Henry's Fork Anglers and get advice as to how you can enhance your trip. For instance, are you aware that HFA has recently started providing guided trips on the Teton River? Last week my stepson and I floated the Teton with our guide Colton. My stepson is a true beginner and with help and instruction from Colton caught his first nice trout in four trips to the area. HFA is either the only or one of two fly shops to have guides that can put you on this beautiful and productive river. BTW, I recently saw at least one negative review on YELP. Should you see it, please do not believe it. I have been fishing with HFA guides since 1976 and never seen or heard of the issues the reviewer(s) discusses. There are plenty fly shops in the area and if I did not have complete confidence with HFA I would simply walk right across the street to another shop.

2  Thank jddenson